Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

My Foreign Anguish (published in Word Catalyst)

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 六月 17, 2008 9:19 pm    发表主题: My Foreign Anguish (published in Word Catalyst) 引用并回复

Reading and Writing: Life on the Page

(My Foreign Anguish has been published in the February Issue of Word Catalyst. It’s the most prestigious magazine (3 editors, one editorial consultant, and 10 staff writers) in which my works, poems and short stories, have been published so far. I hope this publication of my poems in America will open up further possibilities of getting more of my writing published in America in the foreseeable future)

My Foreign Anguish

English, a foreign mistress,
gives me misty eyes
as I write in anguish.

I, a word apprentice,
thwarted by time’s passing,
pine to be a poet.

Words, lost in translation,
are empty spaces in between,
as I compose my poem.

Note:

My Foreign Anguish is my literary tribute to the exiled Ambiguist poets (朦胧诗人) who have been "searching for light with black eyes."

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期五 二月 06, 2009 8:50 am, 总计第 7 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 六月 17, 2008 9:50 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

The Ambiguist Poets (simplified Chinese, 朦胧诗人) are a group of Chinese poets who reacted against the restrictions of the Cultural Revolution. They experimented with new forms and content in writing poetry, and evoked considerable controversy in China in the early 1980s. They are so named because their work has been officially denounced as "obscure" or "ambiguous." Their works were mainly published on the magazine Jintian (Chinese, 今天; literally "Today") from 1978 until 1980, when it was banned. Some of the most important Ambiguist Poets, such as Bei Dao, Gu Cheng, Duo Duo, and Yang Lian, were exiled after the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. Jintian was resurrected in Sweden in 1990 as a literary forum for exiled Chinese writers.

What follows is a famous Ambiguist poem, This Generation, written by Gu Cheng, a poem which is the voice of a generation:

The pitch black nights have given me black eyes
with which I search for light.

Chinese Version:

一代人

黑夜给了我黑色的眼睛
我却用它寻找光明

Note:

The English translation of 朦胧, as Eugene Eoyang points it out, "promotes serious misunderstanding of their poetry (朦胧诗), which -- far from being romantic and wide-eyed as "misty" implies -- is dense, subtle, and ironic". I support his view and adopt his translation.
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期三 六月 18, 2008 1:53 pm    发表主题: Re: My Foreign Anguish 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

English, I anguish
My english is
A foreign anguish

Personalized English?
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 六月 18, 2008 10:51 pm    发表主题: Re: My Foreign Anguish 引用并回复

christine 写到:

Personalized English?

Yes, a personalized and tamed english with a small e.
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期四 六月 26, 2008 3:08 pm    发表主题: Re: My Foreign Anguish 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

My Foreign Anguish

English, I anguish
My english is
A foreign anguish

English has given me misty eyes
With which I seek the Promised Land

A defining word which carries rich layers of meaning.

foreign, adj.:
1. Located away from one's native country: on business in a foreign city.
2. Of, characteristic of, or from a place or country other than the one being considered: a foreign custom.
3. Conducted or involved with other nations or governments; not domestic: foreign trade.
4. Situated in an abnormal or improper place in the body and typically introduced from outside: a foreign object in the eye.
5. Not natural; alien: Jealousy is foreign to her nature.
6. Not germane; irrelevant.
7. Subject to the jurisdiction of another political unit.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 六月 27, 2008 9:19 am    发表主题: Re: My Foreign Anguish 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

A defining word which carries rich layers of meaning.

foreign, adj.:
1. Located away from one's native country: on business in a foreign city.
2. Of, characteristic of, or from a place or country other than the one being considered: a foreign custom.
3. Conducted or involved with other nations or governments; not domestic: foreign trade.
4. Situated in an abnormal or improper place in the body and typically introduced from outside: a foreign object in the eye.
5. Not natural; alien: Jealousy is foreign to her nature.
6. Not germane; irrelevant.
7. Subject to the jurisdiction of another political unit.

A sharp eye and witty words for my poem.

So, in your view, which definitions of foreign are refered to in my poem?
wiseson[wiseson]
wiseson作品集

秀才
(恭喜您迈出害羞的第一步!)
秀才<BR>(恭喜您迈出害羞的第一步!)

注册时间: 2008-06-28
帖子: 2

帖子发表于: 星期日 六月 29, 2008 12:27 am    发表主题: Re: My Foreign Anguish 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:
Reading, Writing, and Life on the Page

My Foreign Anguish

English, I anguish
My english is
A foreign anguish

English has given me misty eyes
With which I seek the Promised Land

Note:

English, My Foreign Anguish is my literary tribute to the exiled Ambiguist poets (朦胧诗人) who have been "searching for light with black eyes."

"English" to Chinese in general, indeed is already a "foreign" or second language, except for those were born natively overseas, right? Laughing
"Anguish" is a good choice of word to get the sound and meaning to reflect your mood/idea in your poem, but this is a noun. So, the first line of your first stanza could be rewritten:

English, I anguish -> English, in my anguish......
or English, my anguish......

P.S. Just for fun and please take it easy! Good day! Wink
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期日 六月 29, 2008 1:28 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

'anguish' is a verb, too.
返回页首
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-02-07
帖子: 103

帖子发表于: 星期日 六月 29, 2008 10:41 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

Yes.

It's used as an intransitive verb.

wiseson 写到:

"English" to Chinese in general, indeed is already a "foreign" or second language, except for those were born natively overseas, right?

"Anguish" is a good choice of word to get the sound and meaning to reflect your mood/idea in your poem

It emphasizes only the linguistic aspect of the word. When a person speaks accented English, he/she is immediately perceived as a foreigner in a socio-political sense. More importantly, speaking a language other than one’s mother-tongue language makes one a stranger to oneself. Read in the context of Diaspora Literature("English has given me misty eyes / With which I seek the Promised Land"), foreign carries much richer layers of meaning than I just mentioned above. I think foreign is a defining word in the poem, which highlightens the psychological significance of the word, anguish.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期一 六月 30, 2008 8:44 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:

Lake 写到:

Yes.

It's used as an intransitive verb.

wiseson 写到:

"English" to Chinese in general, indeed is already a "foreign" or second language, except for those were born natively overseas, right?

"Anguish" is a good choice of word to get the sound and meaning to reflect your mood/idea in your poem

Read in the context of Diaspora Literature("English has given me misty eyes / With which I seek the Promised Land"), foreign carries much richer layers of meaning than I just mentioned above. I think foreign is a defining word in the poem, which highlightens the psychological significance of the word, anguish.

What follows is a companion piece, Lost in Translation, which was published in the Winter 2007-2008 Issue of The Stellar Showcase Journal, a literary journal affiliated with the Canada Cuba Literary Alliance and The Canadian Federation of Poets:

Every time when I hear myself speak in English, I just hate it. It is not my human voice but rather a mechanically translated one. It is not simply that my ears hate my mouth, or that my mouth tries to irritate my ears. It is because, in the strain of translating a Chinese word into its English equivalent, or vice versa, the spontaneity and natural quality of my speech are lost. In the toiling process of translation, I try hard to impose my learning, will, and intellect on my spoken English in an effort to turn my speech into an oral facade of my hidden self. I know that I am failing, for I feel that I'm falling out of the tightly-knit fabric of emotional vocabulary into the weightless net of the linguistic signifiers of a foreign language. Stuck in this dark and chaotic situation, I have become a stranger to myself, a person who lives on the edge between the world of his own and that of the foreigners he has just joined.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期四 十一月 20, 2008 8:35 pm, 总计第 2 次编辑
返回页首
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 六月 30, 2008 12:42 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:

It emphasizes only the linguistic aspect of the word. When a person speaks accented English, he/she is immediately perceived as a foreigner in a socio-political sense. More importantly, speaking a language other than one’s mother-tongue language makes one a stranger to oneself. Read in the context of Diaspora Literature("English has given me misty eyes / With which I seek the Promised Land"), foreign carries much richer layers of meaning than I just mentioned above. I think foreign is a defining word in the poem, which highlightens the psychological significance of the word, anguish.

Yes, I agree with you. And it should also be read in the context of a poem being "literary tribute to the exiled Ambiguist poets (朦胧诗人) who have been "searching for light with black eyes."

ericcoliu 写到:

What follows is a companion piece, Lost in Translation, which was published in the 2007-2008 Winter Issue of The Stellar Showcase Journal, a literary journal affiliated with The Ontario Poetry Society:

In my view, it's also a pre-text for My Foreign Anguish. A heartfelt piece of writing.
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 七月 08, 2008 3:46 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

What follows is a companion piece, Lost in Translation, which was published in the 2007-2008 Winter Issue of The Stellar Showcase Journal, a literary journal affiliated with The Ontario Poetry Society:

Every time when I hear myself speak in English, I just hate it. It is not my human voice but rather a mechanically translated one. It is not simply that my ears hate my mouth, or that my mouth tries to irritate my ears. It is because, in the strain of translating a Chinese word into its English equivalent, or vice versa, the spontaneity and natural quality of my speech are lost. In the toiling process of translation, I try hard to impose my learning, will, and intellect on my spoken English in an effort to turn my speech into an oral facade of my hidden self. I know that I am failing, for I feel that I'm falling out of the tightly-knit fabric of emotional vocabulary into the weightless net of the linguistic signifiers of a foreign language. Stuck in this dark and chaotic situation, I have become a stranger to myself, a person who lives on the edge between the world of his own and that of the foreigners he has just joined.

English, I Anguish

You are not able to connect
emotions to words
and words into English sentences.
Words now become the suppressed cries
Of a wandering soul
clutching desperately at your heart.
Without emotional vocabulary,
Everything becomes elusion, confusion
and the fear of things
you needn’t be afraid of.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 一月 21, 2009 12:27 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

My Foreign Anguish will be published in the February issue of Word
Catalyst. The following is the email from the Editor:

Hello Chen,

I would like to schedule two of your poems for the February issue of Word
Catalyst. The two I have chosen are "My Foreign Anguish" and "You, My
Calliope". Please feel free to send a brief bio to accompany your work.

Thank you,

Shirley Allard, publisher/editor
Word Catalyst Magazine

An online magazine located at
http://www.wordcatalystmagazine.com
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 04, 2009 9:37 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Below is another version, which is more compact:

English,
terra incognita --
my foreign anguish.

Poetry,
pining and thwarted –-
an ongoing struggle.

Words,
space in between –-
my poem.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.