ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期日 五月 11, 2008 9:06 pm    发表主题: Two Xiaoshi (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

Reading, Writing, and Life on the Page

Two Xiaoshi: Dislocated and Longing

Dislocated

His face,
A map of solitude;
Her Body,
The scent of Eros.

Longing

Mid-May in Ajax --
Hearing the sky's cry --
I ache for Taipei.

Notes:

1 Ajax is a medium-sized town located in the Golden Horseshoe of south central Ontario, Canada. Taipei is the largest city in Taiwan and has been the capital of the Republic of China (Taiwan) since 1949.

2 In Taiwan, the main rainy season which lasts from mid-May through to mid-June is a period of time referred to as Meiyu Jijie (梅雨季節), meaning "plum rain season" as it coincides with the plum season. The island can expect heavy rainfall during the plum rain season, during which about 25 percent of tje annual rainfall in northern Taiwan falls.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期日 五月 18, 2008 11:15 am, 总计第 4 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 五月 11, 2008 10:05 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

The origin of the xiaoshi, a subgenre of New Poetry, in China was attributed to the influence of Rabindranath Tagore's collection of short poems entitled Stray Birds. As a poet, he had a significant impact on modern Chinese literature generally and New Poetry particularly. He was a close friend of China and his literary reputation reached its peak in China when he made his visit there in 1924.

The xiaoshi is a kind of personal, meditative poetry, its image-centered poetic sensibilities influenced by Tagore’s pantheism and the contemplative mood of German Romantic poetry. The skilful use of imagery with minimum discursiveness and few indications of cause and effect are defining characteristics of the xiaoshi. In the 1920s, it became popular mainly due to the publication of Myriad Stars and Spring Water by Bing Xin and Little Poems of Floating Clouds by Zong Baihua.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期日 五月 18, 2008 1:42 pm, 总计第 3 次编辑
返回页首
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 五月 12, 2008 12:23 pm    发表主题: Re: Two Xiaoshis (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Dislocated

His face,
A map of solitude;
Her Body,
The scent of Eros.

This Xiaoshi subtly portrays an emotionally and sexually dislocated relationship between He and She, reminding me of Ang Lee's The Ice Storm (1997), in which he impassionedly describes the frozen woodlands and dislocated relationships of an American middle-class family.
温暖的水獸[温暖的水獸]
温暖的水獸作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-04-23
帖子: 153
来自: 水族箱

帖子发表于: 星期一 五月 12, 2008 2:51 pm    发表主题: Re: Two Xiaoshis (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

His face,
A map of solitude;

I think aloneness is better than solitude.

ericcoliu 写到:

Longing

Mid-May in Ajax --
Hearing the sky's cry --
I ache for Taipei.

Raining is reigning in your memory.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期一 五月 12, 2008 8:16 pm    发表主题: Re: Two Xiaoshis (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

robarts 写到:

reminding me of Ang Lee's The Ice Storm (1997), in which he impassionedly describes the frozen woodlands and dislocated relationships of an American middle-class family.

Interesting. I have seen all of Lee's movies. He definitely is a master of portraying human relationships of all sorts.

温暖的水獸 写到:

I think aloneness is better than solitude.

Good suggestion. Thanks.
浴恩福[浴恩福]
浴恩福作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-05-08
帖子: 123
来自: 多倫多

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 13, 2008 10:52 am    发表主题: Re: Two Xiaoshis (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Longing

Mid-May in Ajax --
Hearing the sky's cry --
I ache for Taipei.

2 In Taiwan, the main annual rainy season starts from mid-May through to mid-June, a period of time referred to as meiyu jijie (梅雨季節), meaning "plum rain season," as it coincides with the plum season. The island can expect heavy rainfall in the plum rain season, during which about 25 percent of annual rainfall in north Taiwan comes.

ericcoliu 写到:

An Immigrant

Nostalgia has given me misty eyes
With which I seek the Promised Land.

温暖的水獸 写到:

Raining is reigning in your memory.

A play on words: raining and reigning. A sharp eye for words.
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 13, 2008 9:06 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

The Xiaoshi is a kind of personal, meditative poetry for which Bing Xin and Zhong Baihua were famous in the 1920s. The skilful use of imagery with minimum discursiveness and few indications of cause and effect are defining characteristics of the Xiaoshi.

In the 1920s, it became popular mainly due to the publication of Myriad Stars and Spring Water by Bing Xin and Little Poems of Floating Clouds by Zong Baihua.

Some selected poems from their books of poetry are as follows:

《春水》节选 冰心

二十

山头独立
宇宙便一个人占有了么?

三三

墙角的花!
你孤芳自赏时
天地便小了。

六二

我要挽那“过去”的年光
但时间的经纬里
已织上了“现在”的丝了!

六五

只是一颗孤星罢了!
在无边的黑暗里
已写尽了宇宙的寂寞。

七一

当我浮云般
自来自去的时候
真觉得宇宙太寂寞了!

《流云》宗白华

晨兴

太阳的光
洗着我早起的灵魂。
天边的月
犹似我昨夜的残梦。

小诗

生命的树上
雕了一枝花
谢落在我的怀里 ,
我轻轻的压在心上。
她接触了心中的音乐
化成小诗一朵 。
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期三 五月 14, 2008 12:27 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Is this so called Xiaoshi 微型诗?

Your second poem 'Longing' reads more like a haiku, which might also be included in 微型诗.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 五月 14, 2008 2:53 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:
Is this so called Xiaoshi 微型诗?

No, 微型诗 is a new literary genre emerging from post-Communist consumerist culture while the xiaoshi is a kind of personal, meditative poetry, with its image-centered sensibilities, influenced by Tagore’s pantheism and the contemplative mood of German Romantic poetry.

Some mainland Chinese literary critic once said, “微型诗三行以内的小诗,特点是短、精、深,优势是快餐文学.” I agree with him, completely.

Lake 写到:

Your second poem 'Longing' reads more like a haiku, which might also be included in 微型诗.

The hiaoshi and the haiku both express the poetics of contemplation.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期四 五月 15, 2008 12:17 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for your elaboration on Xiaoshi. Does it have an English equivalent? I am afraid 'short poem' is not the right term for it either. Is there a line limit to Xiaoshi? The ones quoted from 冰心 are all, except one, three liners. While this two liner poem

山头独立
宇宙便一个人占有了么?

sounds more like 微型诗, very philosophical. Actually her other poems are as well full of 哲理. A similar one is

你能永远遮住一切吗?

(作者:麦芒)

引用:

微型诗三行以内的小诗,特点是短、精、深,优势是快餐文学

I am hesitant to agree with 快餐文学. A poet I know of once told me he spent a half year to finish one of his 微型诗. 快餐 has a negative connotation, at least to my ear.

Thanks for the discussion.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 五月 15, 2008 8:24 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

Thanks for your elaboration on Xiaoshi. Does it have an English equivalent? I am afraid 'short poem' is not the right term for it either. Is there a line limit to Xiaoshi? The ones quoted from 冰心 are all, except one, three liners. While this two liner poem

山头独立
宇宙便一个人占有了么?

sounds more like 微型诗, very philosophical. Actually her other poems are as well full of 哲理. A similar one is

你能永远遮住一切吗?

(作者:麦芒)

Hi! Lake:

Yes, you're right. "Short poem" is not a right term for the xiaoshi. To my best knowledge, as a poetic genre, there is no English equivalent.

The xiaoshi is a vaguely defined subgenre of modern Chinese poetry; generally speaking, the skilful use of imagery with minimum discursiveness and few indications of cause and effect are defining characteristics of the xiaoshi. There is no line limit to the xiaoshi. Because of its focus on minimum discursiveness, the xiaoshi has rarely more than six lines.

Lake 写到:

微型诗三行以内的小诗,特点是短、精、深,优势是快餐文学

I am hesitant to agree with 快餐文学. A poet I know of once told me he spent a half year to finish one of his 微型诗. 快餐 has a negative connotation, at least to my ear.
Thanks for the discussion.
[/quote]

Yes, you're right again. What I mean by 微型诗是快餐文学 is the sole emphasis on the socio-economical context in which the great majority of Chinese micro-poems are produced and read (or more correctly speaking, consumed). On the contrary, since its appearance on the Chinese literary scene, the xiaoshi has stamped its mark indicating the poetics of image-centeredness and discontinuity: that makes it difficult to write and demanding to read.

As for the micro-poem written by your friend, I have no problem to call it the xiaoshi if it is image-centered.

Thank you very much for your well thought out reply and for making the discussion regarding the xiaoshi worthy.
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114

帖子发表于: 星期四 五月 15, 2008 2:51 pm    发表主题: Re: Two Xiaoshis (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

His face,
A map of solitude;

It's good.

ericcoliu 写到:

Yes, you're right. "Short poem" is not a right term for the xiaoshi. To my best knowledge, as a poetic genre, there is no English equivalent.
The xiaoshi is a vaguely defined subgenre of modern Chinese poetry; generally speaking, the skilful use of imagery with minimum discursiveness and few indications of cause and effect are defining characteristics of the xiaoshi. There is no line limit to the xiaoshi. Because of its focus on minimum discursiveness, the xiaoshi has rarely more than six lines.

I have learned something new. Thanks.
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期六 五月 17, 2008 10:11 am    发表主题: Re: Two Xiaoshis (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

robarts 写到:
ericcoliu 写到:

Dislocated

His face,
A map of solitude;
Her Body,
The scent of Eros.

This Xiaoshi subtly portrays an emotionally and sexually dislocated relationship between He and She, reminding me of Ang Lee's The Ice Storm (1997), in which he impassionedly describes the frozen woodlands and dislocated relationships of an American middle-class family.

Yes, The Ice Storm, visually beautifully portrayed in Lee's work, is the metaphor for discolated relationships.
返回页首
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353

帖子发表于: 星期三 五月 21, 2008 10:36 pm    发表主题: Re: Two Xiaoshi (兩首小詩): Dislocated and Longing 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Longing

Mid-May in Ajax --
Hearing the sky's cry --
I ache for Taipei.

Notes:

2 In Taiwan, the main rainy season which lasts from mid-May through to mid-June is a period of time referred to as Meiyu Jijie (梅雨季節), meaning "plum rain season" as it coincides with the plum season. The island can expect heavy rainfall during the plum rain season, during which about 25 percent of tje annual rainfall in northern Taiwan falls.

In the plum rain
A middle-aged man --
A yearning
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.