ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 28, 2008 6:56 pm    发表主题: New Tradition: Chinese Short Songs 引用并回复

Poetic Lens

New Traditions: Chinese Short Songs in English

(Below is an excerpt from my review of an essay entitled New Traditions - Chinese Short Songs in English, which is written by my friend, Gary Blankenship, who is an American poet and a true over of Chinese poetry and whose work entitled A River Transformed is inspired by Wang Wei’s Wang River Collection. For further information on his essay, please read his New Traditions - Chinese Short Songs in English)

Hi! Gary:

After having finished reading your essay, I began to understand why you made such a claim: “I love Wang Wei, and sometimes think I channel him.” And I also thought your essay was written through the poetic lens of Wang Wei.

Firstly, linguistically speaking, your view of Chinese written language stands in line with that of Fenollosa’s, one which had been popularized by his spiritual disciple, Ezra Pound, and other translators and poets of their ilk. In his then-famous essay entitled The Chinese Written Character as a medium for Poetry, Fenollosa described in detail how Chinese characters were ideograms made up of pictographic elements that combined to form a new word or concept. In fact, any scholar whose academic specialty in Chinese language or literature would give you a shockingly different view that only a small number of Chinese characters, estimated to be about less than 15% (The Shambhala Anthology of Chinese Poetry, p.xv), are pictographic or ideogrammatic, and that the majority of them are phonetic-signific (p.xvii). However, Fenollosa’s “creatively beautiful” mistake has brought about a transformational reform of the poetics of American Poetry, especially in Poundian imagist poetry. This transformation is well documented in the Introduction to The New Directions Anthology of Classical Chinese Poetry edited by Eliot Weinberger.

Secondly, when it comes to aesthetics, your view of high Tang poetry in general and Chinese Short Songs (jueju, tonally regulated quatrain) in particular is colored by your “channelling” relationship with Wang Wei. However, I was not surprised by this. According to Pauline Yu, whose translation of and commentary on Wang Wei is scholarly authoritative, of the three major high Tang poets, Wang Wei is perhaps most closely associated with the imagistic methods, a poetic style that attempts to efface the overt, commentative presence of the poetic subject to yield the initiative to objects. This stance stems mainly from his Taoist-Buddhist inclinations to deemphasize the human ego and instead suggest a union with and submergence in the natural world. His quatrains, especially his Wang River Collection, are strikingly illustrative of his ‘imagistic” poetics of “silence.” (I personally prefer quietitude or stillness because the Chinese have ontologically and epistemologically different views of silence) As Stephen Owen has noted in his history of high Tang poetry in The Great Age of Chinese Poetry: The High Tang (His anthology listed in your bibliography), Wang’s quatrains probably represent his most significant contribution to generic development.

Thirdly, generally speaking, Chinese tonally regulated quatrains have a highly patterned and pleasing aural effect (For further information, you can find it on pp. lxi – lxv in Chou Ping’s ‘Introduction to Chinese Poetic Form’ in The Anchor Book of Chinese Poetry, which is listed in your bibliography). In achieving this effect, along with euphonic devices such as rhyme and tonal parallelism, Chinese poets employ various rhetorical devices such as simile, metaphor, symbols, and personification, though with greater restraint, and also make extensive use of verbal parallelism. Such parallelisms customarily appear in the form of couplets in which both lines follow the same syntactical pattern. Based on the rules set for Chinese tonally regulated quatrains, I would suggest that the necessary rules for English-speaking poets to consider when penning the Short Song are:

1 minimalism: do not exceed 8 lines and put in mind of the economic use of language;

2 parallelism(s): use as many as possible; surely, there is no tonal parallelism for English poetry;

3 Poundian imagism: comparatively speaking, Chinese poetry is more image-centric than its Western counterparts and Pound’s ideogrammatic poetics is very helpful in writing a minimalist kind of poetry, and is resonant with that of Wang Wei.

(4 silence: if you think about the rules for penning the Short Song derived from Wang Wei, I think it’s a good strategy to make a distinctive difference between it and other short form verses to emphasize Wang’s poetics of “silence.” I’ll share with one of his poems illustrative of this type of poetics:

Wild flowers bloom beautifully in clusters,
a bird’s single note quiets the ravine.
In still night he sits in an empty forest
feeling the autumn on the pine forest wind.)

Fourthly, compared with its Western counterparts, Chinese poetry, as has been so frequently remarked (Further information, you can find it on pp. 2-4 in The Columbia Book of Chinese Poetry translated and edited by Burton Watson), is on the whole unusually humanistic and commonsensical in tone, seldom touching on the supernatural or indulging in extravagant flights of fancy. In his Laughing Lost in the Mountains, Willis Barnstone claims that Wang Wei may be thought of as the most accomplished mystical poet of the East (p. liv). Such a claim is completely made out of his own Western epistemological framework is, one which, to my best knowledge, finds no support from any scholar whose academic speciality in Chinese literature and religion. As for the “boring” titles for Chinese poems, most of them are the ones named for so-called “occasional poems.” This is another “creatively beautiful” mistake made by Pound and his likes. In fact, Pound used a lot of “boring” titles in his late masterwork, thinking them to be “typical Chinese.”

Fifthly, I was really impressed by your knowledge of the Chinese poetic tradition, and deeply moved by your love for Wang Wei, one of my favourite poets, and by the unflagging efforts you’ve put into incorporating the Chinese poetic form into that of English poetry. I hope my comments or suggestions will help you refine your own Chinese Short Songs.

At last, I would like to take a moment to thank you for sharing with me your view of Chinese poetry, and for constantly helping me improve my English writing.
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 十二月 30, 2008 10:05 am    发表主题: Re: New Tradition: Chinese Short Songs 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Based on the rules set for Chinese tonally regulated quatrains, I would suggest that the necessary rules for English-speaking poets to consider when penning the Short Song are:

1 minimalism: do not exceed 8 lines and put in mind of the economic use of language;

2 parallelism(s): use as many as possible; surely, there is no tonal parallelism for English poetry;

3 Poundian imagism: comparatively speaking, Chinese poetry is more image-centric than its Western counterparts and Pound’s ideogrammatic poetics is very helpful in writing a minimalist kind of poetry, and is resonant with that of Wang Wei.

(4 silence: if you think about the rules for penning the Short Song derived from Wang Wei, I think it’s a good strategy to make a distinctive difference between it and other short form verses to emphasize Wang’s poetics of “silence.” I’ll share with one of his poems illustrative of this type of poetics:

These are helpful guidelines for penning the Short Song.

Why do you think "Pound’s ideogrammatic poetics is very helpful in writing a minimalist kind of poetry and resonant with that of Wang Wei?"
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期二 十二月 30, 2008 1:03 pm    发表主题: Re: New Tradition: Chinese Short Songs 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

According to Pauline Yu, whose translation of and commentary on Wang Wei is scholarly authoritative, of the three major high Tang poets, Wang Wei is perhaps most closely associated with the imagistic methods, a poetic style that attempts to efface the overt, commentative presence of the poetic subject to yield the initiative to objects. This stance stems mainly from his Taoist-Buddhist inclinations to deemphasize the human ego and instead suggest a union with and submergence in the natural world. His quatrains, especially his Wang River Collection, are strikingly illustrative of his ‘imagistic” poetics of “silence.” (I personally prefer quietitude or stillness because the Chinese have ontologically and epistemologically different views of silence) (4 silence: if you think about the rules for penning the Short Song derived from Wang Wei, I think it’s a good strategy to make a distinctive difference between it and other short form verses to emphasize Wang’s poetics of “silence.” I’ll share with one of his poems illustrative of this type of poetics:

What does the marked statement really mean?

I like Wang Wei's poem listed above, which speaks aloud the poetics of "emptiness" (in Buddhist terms).
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 十二月 31, 2008 10:49 am    发表主题: Re: New Tradition: Chinese Short Songs 引用并回复

robarts 写到:

Why do you think "Pound’s ideogrammatic poetics is very helpful in writing a minimalist kind of poetry and resonant with that of Wang Wei?"

For further information regarding Pound’s ideogrammatic poetics, please read my essay entitled How to Write a New Kind of Poetry: The Ideogrammic Poetics.

In the 'Introduction: The Ecstasy of Stillness' to his Laughing Lost in the Mountains: Poems of Wang Wei, Willis Barnstone explores this issue thoroughly and convincingly.

dundas 写到:

ericcoliu 写到:

(I personally prefer quietitude or stillness because the Chinese have ontologically and epistemologically different views of silence)

What does the marked statement really mean?

For further information on this issue, please read King-Kok Cheung's Articulate Silences: Hisaye Yamamoto, Maxine Hong Kingston, and Joy Kogawa.

Below is an excerpt from the review of her book:

"The equation of silence and passivity, and the stereotypical ascription of those characteristics onto Asian Americans has long plagued the lives of Asians in America....Cheung challenges and effectively deconstructs this stereotype by complicating the very notion of silence as represented in the work of writers Hisaye Yamamoto, Maxine Hong Kingston, and Joy Kogawa....In this challenge to Eurocentric and simplistic celebrations of speech over silence, King-kok Cheung has opened up diverse avenues of study with unlimited potential for further examination and theorization that will surely move Asian American studies into new and productive directions."

--Kandice Chuh, International Examiner Literary Supplement, Spring 1994
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期五 一月 02, 2009 11:43 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Good effort.

Is there a typo in this line?

引用:
who is an American poet and a true over of Chinese poetry

When reading "Chinese Short Songs", I had the Japanese tanka and the Chinese classical poetry, "The Book of Songs" or even the Song Ci xiaoling 小令 come into my mind. To my ignorance, I've never heard the Chinese 绝句 is named as Chinese short songs. First time experience. Thanks.

As for writing 绝句, I think, its line-by-line semantic structure 起、承、转、结 should be mentioned.

Just some random thoughts.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 一月 03, 2009 9:29 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

Is there a typo in this line?

引用:
who is an American poet and a true over of Chinese poetry

Yes, thanks.

Lake 写到:

To my ignorance, I've never heard the Chinese 绝句 is named as Chinese short songs. First time experience.

"Me Two". However, I kind of like Gary's self-coined term, which is more appealing to English-speaking readers. After all, this term speaks aloud the singing or musical quality in “tonally regulated quatrain.”

Lake 写到:

As for writing 绝句, I think, its line-by-line semantic structure 起、承、转、结 should be mentioned.

Good point.

Lake, thanks for the close read and insightful comments.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 一月 04, 2009 8:46 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

"Me Two". However, I kind of like Gary's self-coined term, which is more appealing to English-speaking readers. After all, this term speaks aloud the singing or musical quality in “tonally regulated quatrain.”

Unless, non Chinese-speaking writers and readers can read the original Chinese poems, how can they get the sense of the Chinese tonal musicality from the English translation, I wonder? Besides, "song" is only one of the elements of poetry.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 一月 06, 2009 9:12 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

Unless, non Chinese-speaking writers and readers can read the original Chinese poems, how can they get the sense of the Chinese tonal musicality from the English translation, I wonder? Besides, "song" is only one of the elements of poetry.

Yes, good points. Thanks for your close read and thoughtful replies.

ericcoliu 写到:

I would suggest that the necessary rules for English-speaking poets to consider when penning the Short Song are:

Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 一月 06, 2009 11:36 pm    发表主题: Re: New Tradition: Chinese Short Songs 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Fenollosa described in detail how Chinese characters were ideograms made up of pictographic elements that combined to form a new word or concept. In fact, any scholar whose academic specialty in Chinese language or literature would give you a shockingly different view that only a small number of Chinese characters, estimated to be about less than 15% (The Shambhala Anthology of Chinese Poetry, p.xv), are pictographic or ideogrammatic, and that the majority of them are phonetic-signific (p.xvii).

The limited number of pictographs are due to the fact that abstract concepts in language are formless, which renders it impossible to picture them. However, pictography remains the most important method of composing Chinese characters. The others are only developments on this basis; indicatives are mostly formed by adding indicating signs to pictographs, ideographs are usually made up of two or more pictographs, and phonetic compounds are also composed of two pictographs (or ideographs or indicatives). Except that one of them specifies the meaning while the other represents the pronunciation.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 一月 08, 2009 12:14 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

The limited number of pictographs are due to the fact that abstract concepts in language are formless, which renders it impossible to picture them.

Yes, I think it’s partial true. Pictography is mainly used by ancient Chinese to represent “things,” not ideas, which Fenollosa claimed.

However, pictography remains the most important method of composing Chinese characters.

Pictography is one of the six word-creating methods used by ancient Chinese and it’s not the most important one; otherwise, they would consist of more than 15% of the Chinese written words. However, compared with other languages, pictography is one of the most outstanding methods used by human beings.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 一月 08, 2009 12:54 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Are you for or against this?

引用:

However, pictography remains the most important method of composing Chinese characters. The others are only developments on this basis; indicatives are mostly formed by adding indicating signs to pictographs, ideographs are usually made up of two or more pictographs, and phonetic compounds are also composed of two pictographs (or ideographs or indicatives). Except that one of them specifies the meaning while the other represents the pronunciation.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 一月 08, 2009 2:43 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

It’s partial true.

This method is mainly applicable to ideographs, most of logical aggregates, and some of phonetic complexes and transference. It’s less applicable to borrowing.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.