阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-02
帖子: 7141

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 26, 2008 8:50 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Lake,

I hope you don't mind I play a little bit on your poem.

I wait

the impatient bicycle bell
rings closer and closer.

the shadows of trees lengthen,
while nestbound birds pass out of sight.

the evening deepens
with a vast dark cloak.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》
<Nightlights> <Seven Nights with the Chinese Zodiac> ...

http://annapoetry.com
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 26, 2008 12:52 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

I don't mind at all. Play as you like. Not bad. Another perspective.

Curious to know - did you see it's a run-on title, ie. the title is part of the first line?
返回页首
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 26, 2008 12:59 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Lake,

Sure. I know. Very Happy

My poem: When desire awakens is also run-on title.

http://www.coviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=4467

Sometimes the title could also be the last sentence, I remember,
Long time ago, I translated poems by C.D. Wright who used the title as the ending.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》

返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 26, 2008 2:32 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Glad you noticed it.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 26, 2008 8:46 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Visually and narratively speaking, these two poems are written from the same "perspective."

The difference is that one is written from the effect of zooming in from a perspective while the other is written from the effect of zooming out from the same perspective.

Good try.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 八月 27, 2008 11:57 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

'Zooming in and zooming out', that's an interesting 'perspective'.

Thanks Eric for your academic input. Hopefully there's more difference.
返回页首
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期三 八月 27, 2008 7:09 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:
Hopefully there's more difference.

In my view, your version is better than Anna's version.

As the poem proceeds, it moves toward uneaseness.
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 八月 27, 2008 7:22 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

christine 写到:

As the poem proceeds, it moves toward uneaseness.

Christine, you got that right - 'uneasiness'. Many thanks.
返回页首
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

帖子发表于: 星期三 八月 27, 2008 8:13 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Good discussion.

Yes. When I read Lake's original poem, I got anxious and I had the urge to change it. I guess that is from the uneaseness.

I quickly played on the poem by using a traditional way to express.

I agree with the zoom effect though I didn't notice that in both version after read themb at first hand. Interesting, how people read differently and write differently.

For me, I think some lines are too vague, such as nestbound birds pass
out of sight. If sharp it a little bit or give more detail, it may be more powerful.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》

返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 八月 28, 2008 11:05 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks anna for coming back to this again. Good, good, this is how you really read this poem.

anna 写到:

Yes. When I read Lake's original poem, I got anxious and I had the urge to change it. I guess that is from the uneaseness.

Once again, I don't mind others play around it. Actually, it's a good thing to get readers involved.
anna, how did you take Christine's 'uneaseness' (is it uneasiness?) as a comment on this poem? Maybe we apprehended it differently.

anna 写到:
I quickly played on the poem by using a traditional way to express.

What do you mean by 'traditional way'? Structurally, logically or contextually?

anna 写到:

For me, I think some lines are too vague, such as nestbound birds pass
out of sight.

Amused by your words. There are only six lines, if out of which some are too vague, this poem would be incomprehensible.

nestbound birds pass
out of sight

Would you tell me what's so vague about this line? I'll see if I can explain this.

Thanks for coming back and taking the time to comment.

Lake
返回页首
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

帖子发表于: 星期四 八月 28, 2008 11:54 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Lake,

Still good discuss. Very Happy

Here I try to explain why I played on your poem.

In the summer workshop, I suggested our teacher to ask other students email their poems before hand, since I thought it would give time for comments and analysis.

But our teacher disagree with that. He said most readers only read the poem once and they got the impression right away. He wanted us to give comments on the first read because the reality was if the first read didn't grasp the reader, then it failed.

It is hard to work on that and some may not agree with that.

I read a few times of yours, this poem must read a few times for me to enjoy it. At first, I am not keen to the beginning. and the word, impatient, since it is telling ...

The structure is modern, sharp ... compare to traditional way. I am ok with the structure.

but

I wait

till evening deepens.

It is kind of telling and it gave me the sudden end, I was anxious to know how it deepens . . .

the first reading, I don't like closer , closer, since I feel I need more, I feel it just starts.

After reading a few times, though still wants more, I said to myself that was the poet's intention for the ending gives the unsure feeling and mystery. So I accepted it.

still I think the highligh is the closer, closer ... So I try to move it up in the beginning... ( I didn't like my version here, Agree with Christine's, your version better)

For me: other lines are vague and didn't give much. ( shadows of tree , used too often, pass out of sight, not impressive, I mean the wording ...)

I know sometimes I raise the level too high. So better to say less to not offend others.

I guess I should focus on working on my own poems for bringing more freshness and concrete details and images.

Once, my teacher chopped all my favorite lines, because he thought they were not fresh or too telling,
I was not happy either, since I got confused and upset. It is always a challenge for anyone.

Everyone reads differently. Each poem can be different too. So you have your own decision to take in or not.

Lately I feel tired reading and writing, I guess I am drained of creativities. I know it is only me. Embarassed

BTW, I have a bad habit to write down too quickly, poems or comments. sometimes we do need time to distill the goody.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》

返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 八月 28, 2008 1:22 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Ok, here is my reply.

Agree and disagree with your teacher on reading poem once. To get first impression, Yes. To fully understand it, No. Some other forums suggest to read a poem at least twice before giving your comments. What about that?

I usually try not to transport comments from other forums here because I want to know how readers here react without being affected by others' opinions. If I feel I need some backup, it is an exception.

I didn't feel I was offended, so feel free to say what in your mind. One thing I noticed in your comment about this poem is not a matter of vagueness, it is the punctuation, overused expression, etc.

Re punctuation, I've leaned you have to be consistent (ie, if you use it, use it throughout the whole poem, or don't use it at all) then use it or not is really a personal taste. Actually I have two versions of it, one without punctuation, the other with. Now forgive me for starting the following quotes:

引用:
... I also like the lack of punctuation as it keeps the poem free of constraint which otherwise might pollute the freshness.

引用:
The lack of punctuation and the line breaks left me in doubt as to which phrase belonged to which sentence.

The comments on my unpunctuated version. See how differently people take it. Then I revised with punctuation.

So much for this. I'll be back for other issues. Lunch time is over.

Cheers.
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 八月 29, 2008 1:46 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Let's go line by line:

引用:
I wait
till evening deepens.

It is kind of telling and it gave me the sudden end, I was anxious to know how it deepens . . .

The "sudden end" feeling may come from the punctuation, the period. On the other hand, I have the feeling of "dead silence".

The next two lines answered "how it deepens" , where I don't want to use 'pitch dark', 'ink dark', or 'dark clothes'.

引用:
For me: other lines are vague and didn't give much. ( shadows of tree , used too often, pass out of sight, not impressive, I mean the wording ...)

This may help ease a bit of the overused expression - Shadows of trees fade... How about that?

Not so sure about your comment of 'wording'. Sorry.

引用:
the first reading, I don't like closer , closer, since I feel I need more, I feel it just starts.

You are right about that - the 'closer and closer', is not the end, the narrator is still waiting anxiously, eagerly, worriedly, and yes, uneasily (Christine, correct me if I took your word wrong). In my draft the poem ends with ellipsis, I don't know why I used a period here. I'll put it back to show this prolonged wait...

引用:
still I think the highligh is the closer, closer ... So I try to move it up in the beginning

Thanks, this helps me see another difference - your rewrite starts with bell ringing and ends with the dark night, while mine leaves the end open. Am I right?

Re vagueness, there's something vague here but it is not the individual lines that are clearly put as a reader commented:

引用:
It is straight forward enough to negotiate the poem contextually

it is the idea as another said:

引用:
I like the idea here - who is doing the waiting and for what/whom isn't clear (girl for boy, child for parent) and that allows the reader to form their own images.

I've never looked at my poems in such a depth like this, so thanks for providing the opportunity.

Much appreciation, everyone!

Lake

PS: It's by no means a good one, but I welcome all the feedbacks. And that's the whole purpose of posting our stuffs here.
返回页首
非马[FAFAFA]
非马作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2005-10-15
帖子: 1053

帖子发表于: 星期一 九月 01, 2008 4:59 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

An enjoyable short poem and some lively discussions.
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.