hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-02-07
帖子: 103

帖子发表于: 星期日 六月 29, 2008 10:27 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

John Hollander is a renowned American poet and literary critic. He is currently Sterling Professor of English at Yale University and appointed Poet Laureate of the State of Connecticut. As Paul Devlin points out in his introduction to A Conversation with John Hollander:

“Hollander’s poems span the full range of human emotions and must be counted among the most sophisticated productions of the human mind. His work is highly heterogeneous and cannot be summarized here. His poetry is urbane, but never decadent. It radiates with deep scholarly learning, but is never pedantic. On the contrary, his work is entertaining, in the "read this for fun, not just because it’s good for you" sense. (Although they are good for you too, like all great art.) They are profoundly philosophical, playful, lighthearted, quite funny, dark, and serious. Often they can be mysterious and sublime, but each is the work of a master craftsman.”

Here is an excerpt from his interview with John Hollander on poetry, which is posted at http://facpub.stjohns.edu/~ganterg/sjureview/vol1-2/hollander.html :

PD: Do you see good poetry or poetry as a fine art, threatened by the internet, by explosions of communications in general? Do you think people have less time/strong attention spans to spend absorbed in a poem than they did even twenty, to say nothing of two-hundred years ago?

JH: I’m more worried about people’s ability to pay informed attention—to be able to listen to—rather than merely hear—music, for example; to be able to detect and be negatively affected by specious argument and deception in public speech of all kinds; to know any history and geography; to understand not only something about science but about explanation in general; to read and speak foreign languages—in short, about the fate of knowledge in a discursive world that ignores or suppresses it and can deal only with what it calls "information". When you have educated readers, good poetry will take care of itself.

PD: I was thinking that perhaps Rhyme’s Reason may help "rescue" good poetry, by making it less daunting for people to try verse in traditional forms, instead of writing any-old-thing and calling it poetry. Was this something you had in mind when you wrote the book?

JH: Certainly. But it should be made clear that "traditional forms" include a variety of systems of verse, not merely accentual-syllabism. The very different modes of free verse written by Matthew Arnold and Walt Whitman and, still over a hundred years ago by William Ernest Henley and Robert Louis Stevenson and Stephen Crane are certainly "traditional forms". Most people can’t read and hear and see poetry because they’ve been trained not to by bad teachers in a wretched educational system generally. I wrote the book to provide amusing examples of what different elements of verse could do in isolation and together, hoping that teachers and self-teachers (and people who write are always those to a degree) would find it useful.

PD: I think Rhyme’s Reason is not only an indispensable guide to English verse, but a work of art in and of itself, certainly a work of great humor and imagination. Can you give a brief history of why you wrote it, or how the idea(s) to write it came to you?

JH: I’d originally written quite a few of the self-descriptive examples in the first edition of Rhyme’s Reason as an appendix to the poetry section of a freshman reader I’d edited with Irving Howe and David Bromwich. But the wonderful acquisitions editor for literature at Yale University Press at the time (1980) had suggested that I could write many more of them and make them into a more comprehensive handbook. Thinking of my own students, and of how there was no such guide to the varieties of verse in English to which I could send them and that would help teach them to notice things about the examples presented—to see how the particular stanza or rhythmic scheme or whatever was being used by the particular words of the particular poem, for example—I got to work and with a speed which now alarms me produced a manuscript for the first edition of the book. I’ve never had more immediate fun writing a book.
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

帖子发表于: 星期一 六月 30, 2008 8:14 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

A One-line Poem is a monostich which is made up of “the” and “universe” (uni-cum-verse). Due to the brevity of its form, due to the brevity of the form, the title is invariably as important a part of the poem as the verse itself. Therefore, we get a hint from its title, and this poem is literally a self-explanatory monostich and connotatively implies that poetry is the universe.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 六月 30, 2008 8:29 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:
A One-line Poem is a monostich which is made up of “the” and “universe” (uni-cum-verse). Due to the brevity of its form, due to the brevity of the form, the title is invariably as important a part of the poem as the verse itself. Therefore, we get a hint from its title, and this poem is literally a self-explanatory monostich and connotatively implies that poetry is the universe.

It's an intellectually demanding and aesthetically challenging poem, and we need to:

Think Outside the Box

Think inside the butthole.

-- Ted Berrigan
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 六月 30, 2008 12:53 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

hahaview 写到:

It's an intellectually demanding and aesthetically challenging poem, and we need to:

Think Outside the Box

Think inside the butthole.

-- Ted Berrigan

A well thought out response.

I would say poetry is the universe of the imaginative minds that fully understand universe is made up of "uni" and "verse" -- A One-line Poem.
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 六月 30, 2008 11:02 pm    发表主题: Re: A One-line Poem, 單行詩 引用并回复

robarts 写到:

I would say poetry is the universe of the imaginative minds that fully understand universe is made up of "uni" and "verse" -- A One-line Poem.

Yes, well said.

hahaview 写到:

Poem Text of A One-line Poem by John Hollander

The universe

More importantly, there is no period to mark the end of poem, which means there are no limits imposed on the poetic imagination.
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期四 七月 03, 2008 9:18 am    发表主题: Re: A One-line Poem, 單行詩 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:

The universe

詩道於一

Why "詩道於一 ?"
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

帖子发表于: 星期五 七月 04, 2008 8:15 am    发表主题: Re: A One-line Poem, 單行詩 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

Why "詩道於一 ?"

譯成"詩道於一"近於:"說成為一(句詩)" (versify into one line), 又近於易經所說的: "太極,謂天地未分之前(即宇宙之初),元氣混而為一,即太初,太始也" (universe).
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期六 七月 05, 2008 12:01 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:

Why "詩道於一 ?"

譯成"詩道於一"近於:"說成為一(句詩)" (versify into one line), 又近於易經所說的: "太極,謂天地未分之前(即宇宙之初),元氣混而為一,即太初,太始也" (universe).

Interesting and thoughtful translation.

ericcoliu 写到:

Think Outside the Box

Think inside the butthole.[/b]

-- Ted Berrigan

The last word of this one-line poem pivots the last word of its title, which is its “move” aesthetically.
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.