Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 4:45 pm    发表主题: The Man At Strauss (Flash Fiction) 引用并回复

( This was at first written as a poem a year ago, then someone suggested it might work better in the form of 'flash fiction'. Now here it is.)

The Man At Strauss (Flash Fiction)

A sleety day. We slid into a sports store, hoping the skates could be stretched to a half size larger. We waited patiently for Don, the only one at Strauss who knew the trade.

Fifteen minutes passed. To save six hundred bucks, in patience we waited. Then an old man loomed beside me; his head drooped low to his chest, eyes watery, back hunched.

“Are you looking for me? What can I do for you? ” He asked.

“Are you Don? Don’t you have an apprentice? ” I answered.

Trudging back with a ruler, he measured the boots, eyes so close to the readings. My daughter sat quietly on the bench as instructed to try on the stretched skates. Bandy-legged, Don, one hand on the floor, knelt down with one leg first, then the other. The shoelace seemed so delicate in his knuckle protruding hands. He fastened it nonetheless.

Looking up, he asked, “How do you feel now?”

“Better.” Replied my daughter.

“Do you still feel the tightness around your toes? The bumps on your heels? ”

I was about to say, that’s good enough.

But Don insisted: “Tell me, how would you grade it— better, worse, good, pretty good? ”

I watched him rise to his feet with more difficulty than he knelt down. I didn’t come up to help him, as I so wished. Instead, I turned my head away, slightly. Can you imagine a man of eighty seven years working on a heavy snow day?

“Here is something for you, Don.” I put some change in his hand, gratefully.

“Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door. A glint in his eyes, a stretch of one’s lifespan.

返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 4:55 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

happy new year. I will read it soon.

too busy to clean up house and help my son's homework.
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 8:45 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

I watched him rise to his feet with more difficulty than he knelt down. I didn’t come up to help him, as I so wished. Instead, I turned my head away, slightly.

I put some change in his hand, gratefully.

Flashes of empathy and sympathy, not a flash in the pan [of storytelling]. I enjoyed reading it. I like these two adverbs “slightly” and “gratefully,” which effectively convey the tangled feeling of the narrator.

Flash fiction (by the way, in Taiwan we call it short short story) is measured by its length in words. I think you need to trim down your piece a little bit to make it “great”.

What follows are my “opinionated” suggestions:

1) A sleety day or a heavy snow day? Keep the first one.
2) I watched him rise to his feet with more difficulty than he knelt down. I didn’t come up to help him, as I so wished. Instead, I turned my head away, slightly. Can you imagine a man of eighty seven years working on a heavy snow day?

The passage above is re-written as follows:

I watched him rise to his feet with more difficulty than he knelt down. I didn’t come up to help him; Instead, I turned my head away, slightly.

I don't think you need to point out his physical age. In the preceding passages, we know that he is very old and fragile.

By the way, how does the narrator know his age?

3) “Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door. A glint in his eyes, a stretch of one’s lifespan.

“Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door, a glint in his eyes.
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 11:11 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

a moving piece.

How about the title to be more specific? Since each word counts in a flash story.
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期六 十二月 29, 2007 9:32 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

星子 写到:

a moving piece.

How about the title to be more specific? Since each word counts in a flash story.

Yes, I completely agree with 星子's comment. I was deeply moved by his work ethics and his humility.

How about "An Old Man at Strauss"?
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期六 十二月 29, 2007 11:47 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

Don, the only one at Strauss who knew the trade.

his head drooped low to his chest, eyes watery, back hunched.

Bandy-legged, Don, one hand on the floor, knelt down with one leg first, then the other. The shoelace seemed so delicate in his knuckle protruding hands. He fastened it nonetheless.

I watched him rise to his feet with more difficulty than he knelt down.

I was struck by these vivid images of the fragility and old age.

I agree with ericcoliu’s the second suggestion: no need to point out his physical age.
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 1:07 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Flash fiction (by the way, in Taiwan we call it short short story) is measured by its length in words.

I guess it is. In Chinese, is it called 微型小说?

ericcoliu 写到:
I think you need to trim down your piece a little bit to make it “great”.

What follows are my “opinionated” suggestions:

1) A sleety day or a heavy snow day? Keep the first one.
2) I watched him rise to his feet with more difficulty than he knelt down. I didn’t come up to help him, as I so wished. Instead, I turned my head away, slightly. Can you imagine a man of eighty seven years working on a heavy snow day?

I watched him rise to his feet with more difficulty than he knelt down. I didn’t come up to help him; Instead, I turned my head away, slightly.

I don't think you need to point out his physical age. In the preceding passages, we know that he is very old and fragile.

By the way, how does the narrator know his age?

3) “Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door. A glint in his eyes, a stretch of one’s lifespan.

“Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door, a glint in his eyes.

Thanks for your pointers and pruning, Eric.

Sometimes, it is hard to step away to look at one's own work. So I very much appreciate readers' feedback.

1) I'll keep the sleety day.

2) Concur, concur.
The store manager told them about Don's age.

3) I see your point leaving out the end phrase so that the reader can fill in the blank. But then I feel there's something missing. Or,

“Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door, a glint sparks in his eyes.

Or is 'sparks' redundant?

Thanks much. Happy New Year!

返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 1:15 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

星子 写到:

Thanks for your read and your crits. Any suggestions on a more specific title? I was critiqued before that I revealed too much detail in my writing and I've also read if one word can be used and it works, don't use two.

Happy New Year!

最后进行编辑的是 Lake on 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 1:24 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 1:23 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:

How about "An Old Man at Strauss"?

Thanks Champ for your suggestion. It is more specific now. But in the body of the piece, 'an old man' is mentioned in
'Then an old man loomed beside me; his head drooped low to his chest, eyes watery, back hunched. '

So is it still necessary to mention 'old man' in the title? Would something missing in the title urge the reader to look for more information from the passage?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 1:26 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

fanfan 写到:

I was struck by these vivid images of the fragility and old age.

I agree with ericcoliu’s the second suggestion: no need to point out his physical age.

Thanks fanfan for your positives. I also agree with Eric's point on this.

Happy New year!
返回页首
北夜[FAFAFA]
北夜作品集

三品按察使
(天,你是斑竹吧?)
三品按察使<BR>(天,你是斑竹吧?)

注册时间: 2004-08-19
帖子: 504

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 4:01 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

In fact, the Flash Fiction is short but contain with all elements that a Fiction should have in the first place. And a fiction normally needs to create surprise at the end of the story. A good narrator should know how to keep people's attention all the way through.

In this case, I have lost my interest at the beginning, sorry but true. Let me tell you why:

1. The Title is boring for ordinary folks.
2. You told us this is a very old man at the beginning, so I can’t get any surprise or shock after that, so the supposed magic ending wasted.
3. You got two many character in this story; you mainly describe your core character (the old man) through your (the father) eye. In my option, you only need to show two people here. It’s better write from the little girl’s point of view, and her feeling about this old man. So only keep two people here: little girl and old man. A fresh life + A one foot in the grave life. How about it?
4. Too long, that is what I mean, if you only give us two people in a time that will make the story shorter but nicer.

Some of my suggestion, and do mind about my manner, Good luck and Happy New Year!
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 6:44 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

In Chinese, is it called 微型小说?

No, it's called 極短篇.

Lake 写到:

"Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door, a glint sparks in his eyes.

Or is 'sparks' redundant?

Yes, it's my mistake.

The paragraph is rewritten as follows:

"Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door, a glint in his eyes.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期一 十二月 31, 2007 4:46 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

北夜,

First off, thank you for your criticism and patience reading this boring stuff. I know you are good at writing stories, so I have nothing to say to your judgment and I respect your expertise.

One thing I would like to clarify is that as I said at the beginning, this was not intended to be put in a story form, a try-out only. A friend of mine told me some lines were loose in a poetry form but he wouldn’t think so if they were in a prose. Therefore, he suggested a different genre may work better, that is, ‘flash fiction’ of which I’ve never heard before.

I know this is not anything great, but some positive comments from some readers really encouraged me - they enjoyed the slice of ordinary life and especially loved the ending, evidently there is something they felt.

Curious to know: which part of the story makes you jump into the conclusion that it is through a father’s eye? Yeah, I agree it might be better if the girl tells, but that’s going to be a different story and I don’t know what’s in the girl’s mind; I should’ve asked.

‘A fresh life + A one foot in the grave life.’ Is it a norm that a story has to follow? Used too much in writings, in my opinion though. In this story, I see a continuous life and the value of life in an old man.

By the way, what’s the word limit for a short short story if there is any? This one is about 280 words, with further edit, it can be less than 250 words.

‘do mind about my manner’, what does it mean? Actually, I don’t mind at all.

Many thanks and I’ll keep your suggestions in mind when I write something new.

Happy 2008 to you, too!

Lake

最后进行编辑的是 Lake on 星期二 一月 01, 2008 9:59 pm, 总计第 3 次编辑
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期一 十二月 31, 2007 4:50 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

No, it's called 極短篇.

Thanks Eric. I see some people translated it as 闪小说。 Interesting, isn't it?

ericcoliu 写到:

Yes, it's my mistake.

The paragraph is rewritten as follows:

"Thank you!” He winked at my daughter at the door, a glint in his eyes.

No, it's not you; it's me who didn't make it clear. I was trying to say if it is fine to add 'sparks' , but after second thought, I felt it redundant.

Thanks for your help, indeed!

Lake
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.