Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期三 十二月 26, 2007 11:14 am    发表主题: A Dionysian Moment on Boxing Day 引用并回复

A Dionysian Moment on Boxing Day*

Walking down the hallway of a small shopping mall, which was just open a minute ago, I heard echoing footsteps from the direction of another intersecting hallway. The sound grew louder and louder; gradually, a strange excitement took hold of me. Although they were clearly the footsteps of a unseen person, I suddenly had the feeling that I was hearing the footsteps of thousands. It seemed to be a huge procession pounding its way down that hallway, and at that point I perceived the irresistible attraction of those footfalls of that marching multitude. It felt almost like some physical force pushing me towards the unseen marching columns. In a single moment I understood the ecstasy of self-abandonment, the intoxicating pleasure of melting into the mesmerizing crowd.

Note:

Boxing Day is a public holiday celebrated in many parts of the British Commonwealth on December 26 or alternatively the first weekend after Christmas, when Christmas gifts are traditionally given to service workers or the poor. This traditional celebration dates back to the middle ages, consisting of the practice of giving of gifts to serfs. The Oxford English Dictionary attributes its name to the Christmas box; the verb box meaning: "To give a Christmas-box (colloq.); whence boxing-day."

In Canada, Boxing Day is observed as a public holiday, except for those in the retail business. Many retail stores sell their Christmas and retired model products by holding clearance sales. A good many of the shoppers will line up for hours at night, sometimes before midnight, for retailers to open their doors. Nowadays, generally speaking, Canadians go on a huge shopping spree on Boxing Day without any intent to do the centuries-old practice of giving of gifts to the poor or service workers.

FYI:
Boxing Day 2005 was the single largest economic transaction day ever in the history of Canadian commerce, according to Visa. Individual big box stores can even gross over CAD$1,000,000 on one single Boxing Day.

最后进行编辑的是 Champagne on 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 4:42 pm, 总计第 2 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 27, 2007 11:12 am    发表主题: Re: A Dionysian Moment in Boxing Day 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:

A Dionysian Moment in Boxing Day*

In a single moment I understood the ecstasy of self-abandonment, the intoxicating pleasure of melting into the mesmerizing crowd.

This Dionysian moment involves mimicry as a form of immersion into the substance of the Other, an experience of mystical union.
返回页首
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 27, 2007 11:55 pm    发表主题: Re: A Dionysian Moment in Boxing Day 引用并回复

fanfan 写到:

This Dionysian moment involves mimicry as a form of immersion into the substance of the Other, an experience of mystical union.

Yes, well said.

It's ironic to see that, in one of the most individualistic societies, there is very much of a herd mentality among Boxing Day shoppers united in the Dionysian spirit.

最后进行编辑的是 Champagne on 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 7:56 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 11:11 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:

It's ironic to see that, in one of the most individualistic societies, there is very much of a herd mentality among Boxing Day shoppers united by the Dionysian spirit.

Living in a consumer society infused with possessive individualistic ideologies, people live to shop, to possess, to exercise their freedom of consumption.

In his To Have or to Be, Eric Fromm elaborates on two possible modes of living: one of having and of being. He points out the differences between the two and of a person living in the having mode to the one living in the being mode.

Living in a consumerist society which is devoted to acquiring property and making money, we rarely see any evidence of the being mode of existence, and most people see the having mode as the most natural mode of existence, even the only acceptable way of life. Therefore, we are inclined to think that we are what we have.

To have or not to have is a big question over which to ponder.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 4:26 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 4:21 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Ah, that's what the Boxing Day is all about. It's new to me so when I got a phone call from Australia the other day, I was puzzled to hear this term. We don't have it here, instead we work on Dec 26.

Would anyone elaborate on 'Dionysian Moment'? Thanks.
返回页首
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

帖子发表于: 星期六 十二月 29, 2007 9:24 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi! Lake:

Boxing Day is the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, in the United States.

Lake 写到:

Would anyone elaborate on 'Dionysian Moment'? Thanks.

In its use in everyday language, Dionysian is often of an ecstatic, frantic, or irrational nature. Its philosophic root stems from Friedrich Nietzsche’s work, The Birth of Tragedy, in which the first fifteen chapters deal with the nature of Greek Tragedy that he claims was born when the Apollonian worldview encountered with that of the Dionysian.

He characterizes ancient Greek culture as a conflict between two distinct tendencies: the Apollonian and Dionysian. The Dionysian impulse features immersion in the wholeness of nature, intoxication, non-rationality, and inhumanity.

A Dionysian moment is a moment of experiencing ”the ecstasy of self-abandonment, the intoxicating pleasure of melting into the mesmerizing crowd.”
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 30, 2007 12:40 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for the elaboration, Champ!

Happy New Year!
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.