二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期三 十一月 07, 2007 10:09 pm    发表主题: My Mother’s Dream (revised) 引用并回复

My Mother’s Dream

My mother dreams less than the average person does. I seldom hear about my mother’s dreaming. One of the possible explanations that comes to my mind is that my mother works so hard to earn a living during the day, tires herself by the domestic chores after work and finally gets a good rest in her sleep.

About five years ago, on the eve of my departure for Canada, I was immersing myself in the difficult and exhausting process of deciding which books I should bring with me while my mother was helping me to put my personal belongings into my luggage. At one moment, unexpectedly, my mother told me a dream she had had the night before.

In her dream, holding me in her arms, she stood, firmly and helplessly, enveloped by darkness, and couldn’t see anything ahead of her. I was resting in her arms, completely unaware of her difficult situation. She was alone and her face was sweating. With the passage of time, she felt my body became heavier and heavier, not knowing how long she could stand firmly and hold me tightly. At this terrible moment in her life, the only thing occupying her mind was how catastrophic it would be if she fainted and let go of me. A pain rose gradually from her feet and finally up to her shoulders and arms. She gritted her teeth and endured her pain, praying to her Goddess for help.

At the moment when my mother reached the point of almost total despair, suddenly, a spot of bright, clean space appeared by her side. The space was completely flat and big enough to accommodate me. Full of gratitude to her Goddess, she used her last strength to put me gently down while I remained sound asleep. As soon as I reached the ground, the earth would unexpectedly tilt. My place of rest was now on a slope, which was like a long steep slide. I started to slide down very quickly. While sliding down, I suddenly grew up, and within few minutes, was no larger than a speck of dust. My mother cried out in unspeakable desperation.

Awaking from her bad dream, my mother felt unsettled and walked to my room, finding that I was sound asleep. At this moment, she awakened to the inevitable fact that her son could not be together with her forever in that little space.

In telling her dream, her sadness was mixed with pride.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 11:59 am, 总计第 2 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
老婆婆[老婆婆]
老婆婆作品集

八品县丞
(又一个不小心,升了!)
八品县丞<BR>(又一个不小心,升了!)

注册时间: 2007-10-13
帖子: 56

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 12:12 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

You are a little homesick??

My mother, a common woman, only has one dream that all her family members are happy, healthy and safe.

Of course, both my father and my mother hope that their daughters will become indepentent, find a good job and live a happy llife. I am their elder daughter, so to find a job, earn money and support my family is my responsibility.

" my mother works so heard to earn a living during the day"

Is "heard" "hard"?
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 9:39 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for your commenting on my writing and for finding out a typo for me. It's "hard" not "heard".

I appreciate your sharing of your family life. I hope everything will go well with you and your family.

老婆婆 写到:

You are a little homesick??

No. the main reason behind this piece of writing is I cannot let my beloved die:

You
Who once whispered beside me in the dark
Are my beloved, the most cherished
My beloved won't die.
I, an exile in a foreign land
Wrap you in words
So that the future inherits you
I will rescue you from the death of forgetfulness:
Telling your story, fulfilling your dreams.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 10:04 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

可怜天下父母心。"父母在, 不远游" 已成过去式。

"she stood, firmly and helplessly,"

This pair of words "firmly" and "helplessly" effectively demonstrates the hardship the mother endured.
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-02
帖子: 7141

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 10:26 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

In fact, I read it yesterday and I would say it is a very good piece.

But I have one question, what is the purpose of writing your wife dream in your article? I am deeply moved by your mother's dream.

Since now I take formal writing course, the teacher always reminds us of the purpose of our each word in our writing.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》
<Nightlights> <Seven Nights with the Chinese Zodiac> ...

http://annapoetry.com
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
老婆婆[老婆婆]
老婆婆作品集

八品县丞
(又一个不小心,升了!)
八品县丞<BR>(又一个不小心,升了!)

注册时间: 2007-10-13
帖子: 56

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 10:33 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

I thought before, only female have that deep emotion…

In my memory, only daughters have such deep love towards their parents…

As to sons, I always thought they paid much more attentions to their career than to their parents.

But you make me change my view.

You are a son, so you can live with your parents. Take them with you, live with them. How happy it will be!

"she awakened to the inevitable fact that her son could not be together with her forever in that little space"

You are luckier than me. I am a daughter, now I leave my family, go to another city to study. Two years later I may find a job here and can not always come home! And the most terrible thing is that---my mother always tells me about this final fate---I will marry some day so I cann't live with my parents any longer!

How unfair it is!
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 11:33 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

This pair of words "firmly" and "helplessly" effectively demonstrates the hardship the mother endured.

You have a sharp eye for reading my writing. The pair of words firmly and helplessly give my mother's dream its essence.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 11:48 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

anna 写到:

But I have one question, what is the purpose of writing your wife dream in your article?

Hi! Anna:

Originally, I was trying to make a point about the class-biased understanding of Freudian conception of “dream work”. Now, I see your point. Too much in a short piece of writing.

I will revise it. Thank you for your insightful suggestion.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 11:54 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

老婆婆 写到:

My mother always tells me about this final fate---I will marry some day so I cann't live with my parents any longer!

How unfair it is!

Thanks for your sharing of your story from a gendered point of view.

I think our era is the era of women, who can make changes in the ways of thinking and doing that people used to take for granted.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.