Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期日 九月 23, 2007 10:10 am    发表主题: Saying Yes to Life in Spite of Everything 引用并回复

Saying Yes to Life in Spite of Everything

Logotherapy, a borderland between medicine and philosophy
Is an analysis of meaning, for meaning, and with meaning
A healing process through the will to meaning
And a Promethean optimism in the face of suffering, guilt, and death.
With an open attitude toward the God above God
Believing in human beings as value-bearers
Who learn ably from the past
We can act responsibly in the present
And plan hopefully for the future
If we pay more attention
To the noetic dimension of the human psyche.
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期日 九月 23, 2007 4:57 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Glad to know that you’re interested in Logotherapy and the work of Victor Frankl.

His Man's Search for Meaning has turned me into a student of the Holocaust Literature, and I have become eager to find out from what resources a person can draw and still say YES to life in spite of everything.

Share with you two selected passages from the 1984 Edition, which help me a lot to learn about the inner strength that one can posses if he has a determined will to meaning:

Passage One: The salvation of man is through love and in love

"A thought transfixed me: for the first time in my life l saw the truth as it is set into song by so many poets, proclaimed as the final wisdom by so many thinkers. The truth--that love is the ultimate and the highest goal to which man can aspire. Then I grasped the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The salvation of man is through love and in love. I understood how a man who has nothing left in this world still may know bliss, be it only for a brief moment, in the contemplation of his beloved. In a position of utter desolation, when man cannot express himself in positive action, when his only achievement may consist in enduring his sufferings in the right way--an honourable way--in such a position man can, through loving contemplation of the image he carries of his beloved, achieve fulfillment. For the first time in my life I was able to understand the meaning of the words, 'The angels are lost in perpetual contemplation of an infinite glory.”

Passage Two: This intensification of inner life helps one find a refuge from the emptiness, desolation and spiritual poverty of one’s existence

"This intensification of inner life helped the prisoner find a refuge from the emptiness, desolation and spiritual poverty of his existence, by letting him escape into the past. When given free rein, his imagination played with past events, often not important ones, but minor happenings and trifling things. His nostalgic memory glorified them and they assumed a strange character. Their world and their existence seemed very distant and the spirit reached out for them longingly: In my mind I took bus rides, unlocked the front door of my apartment, answered my telephone, switched on the electric lights. Our thoughts often centered on such details, and these memories could move one to tears.

"As the inner life of the prisoner tended to become more intense, he also experienced the beauty of art and nature as never before. Under their influence he sometimes even forgot his own frightful circumstances. If someone had seen our faces on the journey from Auschwitz to a Bavarian camp as we beheld the mountains of Salzburg with their summits glowing in the sunset, through the little barred windows of the prison carriage, he would never have believed that those were the faces of men who had given up all hope of life and liberty. Despite that factor--or maybe because of it--we were carried away by nature's beauty, which we had missed for so long.

"In camp too, a man might draw the attention of a comrade working next to him to a nice view of the setting sun shining through the tall trees of the Bavarian woods (as in the famous water color by Dürer), the same woods in which we had built an enormous, hidden munitions plant. One evening, when we were already resting on the floor of our hut, dead tired, soup bowls in hand, a fellow prisoner rushed in and asked us to run out to the assembly grounds and see the wonderful sunset. Standing outside we saw sinister clouds glowing in the west and the whole sky alive with clouds of ever-changing shapes and colors, from steel blue to blood red. The desolate grey mud huts provided a sharp contrast, while the puddles on the muddy ground reflected the glowing sky. Then, after minutes of moving silence, one prisoner said to another, 'How beautiful the world could be!'

The exclamation – How beautiful the world could be !– totally knocks me down, and it’s unbelievable to hear this excited utterance from a person living and working in a concentration camp.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期日 九月 23, 2007 10:09 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Inspiring. Very positive attitude towards life.

工作着是美丽的
活着是美丽的

Smile
返回页首
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

帖子发表于: 星期一 九月 24, 2007 8:30 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi! Lake & ericcoliu:

Thank you for your reading of my writing regarding Victor Frankl’s work.

Lake 写到:
Inspiring. Very positive attitude towards life.

工作着是美丽的
活着是美丽的

I totally agree with Lake’s comment on his work and his optimistic attitude toward life in spite of everything. Especially, the second passage that ericcoliu selects is one of my favourite passages among all his writings.

However, I’m not an enthusiastic follower of the Logotherapy movement because as time goes by and my lived and reading experiences grow and thus I have become “mature” with time, I don’t think we can still say YES to LIFE in spite of EVERYTHING.

From Man's Search for Meaning, The Doctor and the Soul, The unheard Cry for Meaning, and The Will to Meaning, we know that Viktor Frankl's theory of logotherapy is put to an ultimate test in the concentration camps. One of the two most significant episodes that Frankl recalls in his memoirs is the death of his father. This tragic event offers me, hopefully including his loyal admirers, a different view on his theory.

When his parents were sent to the concentration camp, Frankl knew that his mother was sent right to the gas chamber upon arrival and his father was still alive, but in critical condition. He was 81, starving, and had two bouts of pneumonia. He knew that his father was approaching the end of his life. He injected his father with morphine. Before his father's death, the following dialogue took place:

"Do you have any pain?" "No."
"Do you have any wish?" "No."
"Do you wish me to tell me anything?" "No."

Then, I kissed him and left, knowing I would not see him alive again. But I had the most wonderful feeling. I had done my part. I had stayed in Vienna because of my parents, and now I had accompanied my father to the threshold of death and spared him of unnecessary suffering in dying (quoted from Frankl's What Is Not in My Books -Memoirs, 1995, p6).

In his matter-of-fact description of the last moment of his father's death and his defensive reflection of this tragic event, I see a courageous iconoclast smashing the untouchable icon of the God-Father figure in the logotheraputic movement, which has inspired millions of people since WWII. With respect to the place of his theories in the evolving logotherapeutic movement Frankl once said that "all I attempted to do was to lay foundations of logotherapy," he added, "there is no place for orthodoxy in logotherapy." The description of the death of Frankl's father gives me one precious lesson: Look at the theorist first to see if he knows how to live.
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期一 九月 24, 2007 10:10 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

good to read this and have you all shared something.

I agree: The salvation of man is through love and in love

I also found the inner world could be very beautiful. We could be carried away by ourselves' inner world.

When I excise Yoga, I can freely imagine the nature's wonders and beauty.
I feel peaceful.
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期一 九月 24, 2007 10:18 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Champagne

The description of the death of Frankl's father gives me one precious lesson: Look at the theorist first to see if he knows how to live.

what I see is he say no to Life? for his father's case. I am not to judge or try to offend...

just want to understand what you think.
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 26, 2007 1:39 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

The description of the death of Frankl's father in his What Is Not in My Books –Memoirs published in 1995, two years before he died, is an antithesis to his life-long intellectual work: logotherapy that can be boiled down to one inspiring mantra, “Say Yes to Life in Spite of Everything.”

I think he knew that not every kind of life is worthy of being lived or of being fought for. Once lost the most important aspects of it that constitute the personhood of its owner, the life can be terminated with dignity by the will of its owner or of the trustee of its owner.

The Sea inside is an exalting film on the Right to Die with Dignity. It tells a real life story of Spaniard Ramón Sampedro, a quadriplegic for 28 years, have fought a 28-year campaign to win the right to end his life with dignity.

The description of the death of Frankl's father and the life story of Spaniard Ramón Sampedro stimulate me to re-think this logotheraputic mantra, “Say Yes to Life in Spite of Everything.”
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 26, 2007 2:13 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Yes. Now I fully understand it.

Thanks for the details.

Yesterday I just read a poem "Edges", depicts the death and its fulfillment. a little sad yet kind of attracting effect.

Anna
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期日 九月 30, 2007 5:16 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Share with you The Heart Asks Pleasure First by Emily Dickinson, whose own suffering prompted her to examine human predicaments with "narrow, probing, Eyes".

The heart asks pleasure first
And then, excuse from pain-
And then, those little anodynes
That deaden suffering;

And then, to go to sleep;
And then, if it should be
The will of its Inquisitor,
The liberty to die.
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-02
帖子: 7141

帖子发表于: 星期日 九月 30, 2007 6:04 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

anodyne 镇痛的

predicaments 苦[险]境

Today I read another good one to share with you too.

Desert Places
by: Robert Frost

Snow falling and night falling fast, oh, fast
In a field I looked into going past,
And the ground almost covered smooth in snow,
But a few weeds and stubble showing last.

The woods around it have it--it is theirs.
All animals are smothered in their lairs.
I am too absent-spirited to count;
The loneliness includes me unawares.

And lonely as it is that loneliness
Will be more lonely ere it will be less--
A blanker whiteness of benighted snow
With no expression, nothing to express.

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars--on stars where no human race is.
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》
<Nightlights> <Seven Nights with the Chinese Zodiac> ...

http://annapoetry.com
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.