作者 留言
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-02-07
帖子: 103

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 26, 2009 5:45 pm    发表主题: Under the Eye of the Clock: The Sparkling Soul of a Writer 引用并回复

Under the Eye of the Clock: The Sparkling Creative Soul of a Writer (First Draft)

ggggggggggggI bet you never thought you would be hearing from me! To think that I would be able to write to you ggggggggggggwas beyond my wildest dreams.

gggggggggggg-- Christopher Nolan wrote in a letter to his aunt and uncle

The award-winning Dublin poet and novelist Christopher Nolan, also known as Christy Nolan, died on February 20 aged 43.

At the age of 15, he published his first book entitled Dam burst of Dreams, a critically acclaimed collection of poems constantly compared with those of his eminent compatriots William Butler Yeats and James Joyce. At the age of 22, his first autobiographical novel entitled Under the Eye of the Clock won the 1988 Whitbread Book Award; in it, he describes his struggle with his disability and how the people around him, especially his family, help him to overcome the barriers set for the disabled, and get education and fulfill his seemingly impossible dream – a highly-acclaimed poet and novelist. Throughout the book, he constantly asks himself one big question, “can I climb socially constructed barriers…what can a crippled speechless boy do?” Not only does it introduce the reader to the experience and social meaning of disability, but it also is the story of a “crippled boy” struggling to become a “fully developed man,” an individual without restraints who makes the impossible dream realized.

Born breech and deprived of oxygen for two hours, Christy’s body was rendered paralyzed, spastic, and incapable of speech; and he was eventually diagnosed with cerebral palsy. What he could do was only to move his head and eyes. Such unbearable a fact as it was, he didn’t give up his life, and more importantly, leaning. He had an unusually appetite for language and amassed a prodigious vocabulary that burst forth onto the computer screen at age of 11 when he was given access to Lioresal, a new drug which helped him gain control over his head and neck, allowing him to use a specially-made typing equipment. “Locked for years in the coffin of his body," paralyzed and forced to be silent, he finally found his means of communication to release himself from isolation and share with others the “insight and whimsy” of his inner world, the innermost thoughts in his once “imprisoned” mind that no one suspected.

He wrote by using a special typewriter with a rod, which he called “unicorn stick”, attached to his forehead. While his head was held by his mother, he painstakingly picked out each word, letter by letter, with his unicorn stick stabbing down at the keyboard through every syllable, word, sentence, plot, and the whole novel. Given that snail-walking pace of writing, he would think he was lucky if he could complete two or three pages a day.

Christy once explained this heart-wrenching and mind-boggling process of writing as follows: "My mind is just like a spin-dryer at full speed; my thoughts fly around my skull while millions of beautiful words cascade down into my lap. Images gunfire across my consciousness. Try, then, to imagine how frustrating it is to give expression to that avalanche in efforts of one great nod after another." As gruelling as it was, he never gave up realizing his “wildest dream.” "Sometimes he'd go at it from 11am to 8pm," she proudly recalled. "At other times he would start, then shake his head when the inspiration wasn't coming. He never really knows until he gets the headgear on. But when the mood takes him it is as if time stands still."

In his 1988 Whitbread Book Award acceptance speech read by his mother, he said it out loud, "I want to shout with joy. My heart is full of gratitude. … Imagine, if you will, what I would have missed if the doctors had not revived me. Can it be right for man to turn on his handicapped brother and silence him before he can ever draw breath? … History is now in the making. Tonight, crippled man is taking his place on the world's literary stage."

Christy Nolan’s physical life ended after 43 winters, but his life on the page will definitely last more than 43 springs. “Can you credit all of the fuss that was made of a cripple?” goes the opening of Under the Eye of the Clock. Well, we surely can because his sparkling creative soul revealed through his poetic language shows us that his several physical disability is "a positive factor rather than a modifying condition in his impressive achievement.”
浴恩福[浴恩福]
浴恩福作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-05-08
帖子: 123
来自: 多倫多

帖子发表于: 星期五 二月 27, 2009 7:48 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:

"History is now in the making. Tonight, crippled man is taking his place on the world's literary stage."

His exemplenary life and outstanding writing career doubtlessly say THE BIG YES to Charles Bukowski's so you want to be a writer?

hahaview 写到:

at age of 11 when he was given access to Lioresal, a new drug which helped him gain control over his head and neck, allowing him to use a specially-made typing equipment. “Locked for years in the coffin of his body," paralyzed and forced to be silent, he finally found his means of communication to release himself from isolation and share with others the “insight and whimsy” of his inner world, the innermost thoughts in his once “imprisoned” mind that no one suspected.

At age 11, Christy took up unicorn rod for his first bit of lyric: “Polarized, I was paralyzed/ Plausibility palliated.”
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

帖子发表于: 星期五 二月 27, 2009 9:33 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

浴恩福 写到:

His exemplenary life and outstanding writing career doubtlessly say THE BIG YES to Charles Bukowski's so you want to be a writer?

Yes, this is one of my intentions to write this piece.
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

帖子发表于: 星期五 二月 27, 2009 9:39 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

浴恩福 写到:

At age 11, Christy took up unicorn rod for his first bit of lyric: “Polarized, I was paralyzed/ Plausibility palliated.

It's amazing to read a poem like this.

Christy's novel was highly regarded by Professor John Carey, who praised his sense of language that "expand[s] beyond its own boundaries, and beyond our reach".
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 三月 02, 2009 2:17 pm    发表主题: Re: Under the Eye of the Clock: The Sparkling Soul of a Writ 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:

ggggggggggggI bet you never thought you would be hearing from me! To think that I would be able to write to you ggggggggggggwas beyond my wildest dreams.

gggggggggggg-- Christopher Nolan wrote in a letter to his aunt and uncle

Christy once explained this heart-wrenching and mind-boggling process of writing as follows: "My mind is just like a spin-dryer at full speed; my thoughts fly around my skull while millions of beautiful words cascade down into my lap. Images gunfire across my consciousness. Try, then, to imagine how frustrating it is to give expression to that avalanche in efforts of one great nod after another." As gruelling as it was, he never gave up realizing his “wildest dream.” "Sometimes he'd go at it from 11am to 8pm," she proudly recalled. "At other times he would start, then shake his head when the inspiration wasn't coming. He never really knows until he gets the headgear on. But when the mood takes him it is as if time stands still."

Christopher Nolan's life and work teach me about what it is like to be invalidated because you can not give voice to who you are, and more importantly, you can overcome the barriers set by the society.

And every time when I think of his heart-wrenching and mind-boggling process of writing, I can feel the tears brimming in my eyes.
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

帖子发表于: 星期三 三月 04, 2009 8:05 am    发表主题: Re: Under the Eye of the Clock: The Sparkling Soul of a Writ 引用并回复

robarts 写到:

Christopher Nolan's life and work teach me about what it is like to be invalidated because you can not give voice to who you are, and more importantly, you can overcome the barriers set by the society.

And every time when I think of his heart-wrenching and mind-boggling process of writing, I can feel the tears brimming in my eyes.

Yes, I concur!

In the final section, "Bill Moyers Essay," of last week’s edition of the Bill Moyers JOURNAL, Bill Moyers remarked:

"Christopher Nolan's creativity soared high above his severe physical adversity. He even managed to attend school, where his classmates included members of the band U2. They wrote a song about him - with lyrics by Bono - called "Miracle Drug."

U2: I want a trip inside your head
Spend the day there...
To hear the things you haven't said
And see what you might see
A miracle drug...

BILL MOYERS: That "miracle drug" was courage, and it kept Christopher Nolan going right up to his death, at age 43."
浴恩福[浴恩福]
浴恩福作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-05-08
帖子: 123
来自: 多倫多

帖子发表于: 星期日 三月 08, 2009 12:35 pm    发表主题: Re: Under the Eye of the Clock: The Sparkling Soul of a Writ 引用并回复

hahaview 写到:

He even managed to attend school, where his classmates included members of the band U2. They wrote a song about him - with lyrics by Bono - called "Miracle Drug."

U2: I want a trip inside your head
Spend the day there...
A miracle drug...

BILL MOYERS: That "miracle drug" was courage, and it kept Christopher Nolan going right up to his death, at age 43."

Rock band U2, who attended school with Nolan, wrote their song "Miracle Drug" (from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb) about him. [3]

Bono said of his old classmate Chrisy:
“We all went to the same school and just as we were leaving, a fellow called Christopher Nolan arrived. He had been deprived of oxygen for two hours when he was born, so he was paraplegic. But his mother believed he could understand what was going on and used to teach him at home. Eventually, they discovered a drug that allowed him to move one muscle in his neck. So they attached this unicorn device to his forehead and he learned to type. And out of him came all these poems that he'd been storing up in his head. Then he put out a collection called Dam-Burst of Dreams, which won a load of awards and he went off to university and became a genius. All because of a mother's love and a medical breakthrough."
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

帖子发表于: 星期三 三月 11, 2009 8:37 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Listen to Bono's "Miracle Drug"

Miracle Drug Lyrics by Bono

I want to trip inside your head
Spend the day there...

I want to hear you when you call
Do you feel anything at all?
I want to see your thoughts take shape
And walk right out

Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I've had enough I'm not giving up
On a miracle drug

Of science and the human heart
There is no limit
There is no failure here sweetheart
Just when you quit...

I am you and you are mine
Love makes nonsense of space
And time... will disappear
Love and logic keep us clear
Reason is on our side, love...

I've had enough of romantic love
I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up
For a miracle, a miracle drug, a miracle drug

God I need your help tonight

Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It's whispering
In science and in medicine
"I was a stranger
You took me in"

I've had enough of romantic love
I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up
For a miracle, miracle drug

Miracle, miracle drug
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.