Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

Cummingsian Question: Bushian English Gone with the Wind?

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 07, 2009 4:56 pm    发表主题: Cummingsian Question: Bushian English Gone with the Wind? 引用并回复

Before becoming the 29th President of the United States, Warren Gamaliel Harding was an influential newspaper publisher. However, he was known for mangling the language and his syntax-challenged English problems were exacerbated by his insistence on writing his own speeches. Upon his death, poet e. e. cummings said, "The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors is dead."

If e. e. cummings were alive today, he might soften his harsh criticism. It’s because he could, in my view, have nothing left to say about the far more extravagantly syntax-challenged George W. Bush.

During his eight years in the Oval Office, Bush had the "great chance” to mangle language in the glare of the world’s media. Unconcerned with his losing battle with some basic English usage problems, but happy in his good luck to sit beyond the desk in the Oval Office, Bush told the 2001 graduating class at Yale: "And to the C students, I say, you, too, can be president of the United States."

ESL Competence Test: Try Your Hand at Bushian English

Take a close look at the following quotes gathered by Reuters reporter Jason Reed, have a good laugh, and see if you can spot the mistake:

(Note: Everyone can correct up to 4 sentences. Just let every participant have a chance of getting a good laugh)

1. "Kosovians can move back in."

2. "Keep good relations with the Grecians."

3. "If the East Timorians decide to revolt, I'm sure I'll have a statement."

4. "It is incredibly presumptive for somebody who has not yet earned his party's nomination to start speculating about vice-presidents."

5. "If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

6. "Governor Bush will not stand for the subsidation of welfare."

7. "This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."

8. "I do not agree with this notion that somehow if I go to try to attract votes and to lead people toward a better tomorrow somehow I get subscribed to some – some doctrine gets subscribed to me."

9. "I don't want to win? If that were the case why the heck am I on the bus 16 hours a day, shaking thousands of hands, giving hundreds of speeches, getting pillared in the press and cartoons and still staying on message to win?"

10. "Other Republican candidates may retort to personal attacks and negative ads."

11. "I'm very gracious and humbled."

12. "I did denounce it. I de – I denounced it. I denounced interracial dating. I denounced anti-Catholic bigacy."

13. "This case has had a full analyzation and has been looked at a lot. I understand the emotionality of death penalty cases."

14. "A tax cut is really one of the anecdotes to coming out of an economic illness."

15. "I am a person who recognizes the fallacy of humans."

16. "I don't want nations feeling like that they can bully ourselves and our allies. I want to have a ballistic defence system so that we can make the world more peaceful, and at the same time I want to reduce our own nuclear capacities to the level commiserate with keeping the peace."

17. "They said, `You know, this issue doesn't seem to resignate with the people.' And you know something? Whether it resignates or not doesn't matter to me, because I stand for doing the right thing, and the right thing is hearing the voices of people who work."

18. "They misunderestimated me."

19. "I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors."

20. "Ann and I will carry out this equivocal message to the world: Markets must open."

21. "Whatever it took to help Taiwan defend theirself."

22. "Thirdly, the explorationists are willing to only move equipment during the winter, which means they'll be on ice roads, and remove the equipment as the ice begins to melt, so that fragile tundra is protected."

23. "I want to thank the dozens of welfare-to-work stories, the actual examples of people who made the firm and solemn commitment to work hard to embetter themselves."

24. "Over 75 per cent of white Americans own their home, and less than 50 per cent of Hispanos and African-Americans don't own their home. And that's a homeownership gap. And we've got to do something about it."

25. "There was no malfeance involved."

26. "I need to be able to move the right people to the right place at the right time to protect you, and I'm not going to accept a lousy bill out of the United Nations Senate."

27. "The law I sign today directs new funds and new focus to the task of collecting vital intelligence on terrorist threats and on weapons of mass production."

28. "Columbia carried in its payroll classroom experiments from some of our students in America."

29. "There was a time when many said that the cultures of Japan and Germany where incapable of sustaining democratic values. Well, they were wrong. Some say the same of Iraq today. They are mistakened."

30. "We've got hundreds of sites to exploit, looking for the chemical and biological weapons that we know Saddam Hussein had prior to our entrance into Iraq."

31. "That's why I went to the Congress last September and proposed fundamental – supplemental funding, which is money for armour and body parts and ammunition and fuel."

32. "We have enough coal to last for 250 years, yet coal also prevents an environmental challenge."

33. "Do you realize we've got 250 million years' of coal?"

34. "It seemed like to me they based some of their decisions on the word of – and the allegations – by people who were held in detention, people who hate America, people that had been trained in some instances to disassemble – that means not tell the truth."

35. "After the bombing, most Iraqis saw what the perpetuators of this attack were trying to do."

36. "I was not pleased that Hamas has refused to announce its desire to destroy Israel."

37. "My brother Jeb, the great governor of Texas."

38. "I don't have to accept their tenants. I was trying to convince those college students to accept my tenants."

39. "How do you know if you don't measure, if you have a system that simply suckles kids through?"

40. "We ought to make the pie higher."

After reading and correcting these quotes, can you answer the Cummingsian question:

Is Bushian English Gone with the Wind?

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期日 二月 08, 2009 9:05 am, 总计第 7 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 07, 2009 5:03 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Below is the definition of Bushian from the Wiktionary entry entitled Bushian:

Simple formation of Bush + -ian

Adjective

Bushian

1. Of or pertaining to a person named Bush, in particular and usually President of the United States, George W. Bush:

2004:"Bushian tautologies? I don't think so"
2004:"More On Brilliant Bushian Terrorist Propaganda…"
2005:"Understanding the Bushian Warfare Cult…"
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 07, 2009 5:12 pm    发表主题: Re: ESL Competence Test: Try Your Hand at Bushian English 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

ESL Competence Test: Try your Hand at Bushian English

1. "Kosovians can move back in."

2. "Keep good relations with the Grecians."

3. "If the East Timorians decide to revolt, I'm sure I'll have a statement."

4. "It is incredibly presumptive for somebody who has not yet earned his party's nomination to start speculating about vice-presidents."

My answers to the above questions are:

1. Kosovars
2. Greeks
3. East Timorese
4. presumptuous
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-02-07
帖子: 103

帖子发表于: 星期日 二月 08, 2009 9:37 am    发表主题: Re: Cummingsian Question: Bushian English Gone with the Wind 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

5. "If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

6. "Governor Bush will not stand for the subsidation of welfare."

7. "This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."

8. "I do not agree with this notion that somehow if I go to try to attract votes and to lead people toward a better tomorrow somehow I get subscribed to some – some doctrine gets subscribed to me."

Here are my answers:

5. tariff barriers
6. subsidization
7. Perseverance Month
8. ascribed
fanfan[FAFAFA]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 二月 10, 2009 4:05 pm    发表主题: Re: Cummingsian Question: Bushian English Gone with the Wind 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

9. "I don't want to win? If that were the case why the heck am I on the bus 16 hours a day, shaking thousands of hands, giving hundreds of speeches, getting pillared in the press and cartoons and still staying on message to win?"

10. "Other Republican candidates may retort to personal attacks and negative ads."

11. "I'm very gracious and humbled."

12. "I did denounce it. I de – I denounced it. I denounced interracial dating. I denounced anti-Catholic bigacy."

Below are my answers:

9. pilloried
10. resort
11. grateful
12. bigotry
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 12, 2009 10:44 am    发表主题: Re: Cummingsian Question: Bushian English Gone with the Wind 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

13. "This case has had a full analyzation and has been looked at a lot. I understand the emotionality of death penalty cases."

14. "A tax cut is really one of the anecdotes to coming out of an economic illness."

15. "I am a person who recognizes the fallacy of humans."

16. "I don't want nations feeling like that they can bully ourselves and our allies. I want to have a ballistic defence system so that we can make the world more peaceful, and at the same time I want to reduce our own nuclear capacities to the level commiserate with keeping the peace."

Below are my answers:

13. analysis
14. antidotes
15. fallibility
16. commensurate
温暖的水獸[温暖的水獸]
温暖的水獸作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-04-23
帖子: 153
来自: 水族箱

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 19, 2009 4:59 pm    发表主题: Re: Cummingsian Question: Bushian English Gone with the Wind 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Upon his death, poet e. e. cummings said, "The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors is dead."

17. "They said, `You know, this issue doesn't seem to resignate with the people.' And you know something? Whether it resignates or not doesn't matter to me, because I stand for doing the right thing, and the right thing is hearing the voices of people who work."

18. "They misunderestimated me."

19. "I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors."

20. "Ann and I will carry out this equivocal message to the world: Markets must open."

After Bush left office, poet ericcoliu said sadly, "The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors left office. We, now, have no one to joke about"

Here are my answers:

17. resonate

18. underestimated

19. successors

20. unequivocal
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 二月 20, 2009 5:04 pm    发表主题: Re: Cummingsian Question: Bushian English Gone with the Wind 引用并回复

温暖的水獸 写到:

After Bush left office, poet ericcoliu said sadly, "The only man, woman or child who wrote a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors left office. We, now, have no one to joke about"

I still have you. Don’t worry about me.

By the way, during his eight-year presidency, Bush didn't write anything; he simply spoke in error-laden sentences to convey his ideas about democracy and the War on Terror.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.