Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version)

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 八月 15, 2008 8:48 am    发表主题: Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version) 引用并回复

Reading, Writing, and Life on the Page

Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version)

Last week, my memoir writing instructor, Jamie Zeppa who wrote a wonderful memoir about her journey into Bhutan, taught us an important novelistic technique --Showing vs. Telling -- which I want to share with my fellow writers:

Telling: conveys information quickly. Use it to summarize time periods and events that are not very interesting or important to your story.

Example: Judy felt tired to answer the doorbell.

Showing: means creating a scene and allowing your reader to sink into it. Use it to evoke an experience in your reader.

Example: Judy heard the doorbell, but her arms and legs felt like they were encased in concrete.

Seven Ways of Showing:

1 Inner Sensations: gA fist clenched inside Judy’s gut.
2 Facial Expressions: Judy felt her eyes narrow into angry little slits.
3 Gestures: ggggggggShe grabbed the pen and scrawled her name so savagely, the paper tore.
4 Words:ggggggggggg“Now get out!” She yelled.
5 Actions: gggggggggShe slammed the door behind her.
6 Displacement: ggggA sudden gust of wind slammed the door behind her.
7 Projection: gggggggOutside, the dog erupted in a fit of furious barking.

Based on her writing lesson, my previously posted piece, Another Pnin, was re-written and used as a teaching example by my instructor to demonstrate the showing technique to my fellow classmates.

Another Pnin

I remember the monotone repetition of questions in her native Canadian English. I remember his silence and avoidance of eye contact with me. And I remember my fellow Go riders’ patience. Above all – I remember Nabokov's Pnin -- “If his Russian was music, his English was murder.”

The day after Simcoe Day, 2003, I am in the Ajax Go Station to buy a ten-ride ticket to Toronto. Surprisingly, I find quite a few people lining up to buy tickets. I get in line and patiently wait for my turn, as all Canadians do.

"Next in line."

"Tan-ride ticket to Toronto."

"What?"

"Tan-ride tic-ticket to Toronto."

"What did you say?" She raises her voice.

"Tan-lide tic-ticket to To-toronto, please."

"I don't know what you were saying." She answers impatiently like a stern faced mandarin.

Her black co-worker, from whom I’d bought tickets several times, avoids eye contact with me. The GO riders standing behind me wait patiently.

"What do you want?"

I take out the notebook from my backpack, and I write down “I want a ten-ride ticket to Toronto” on a blank page. I show it to her and give her my Visa card.

While waiting for my ticket, I feel something inside me fraying, something I have draped my dreams in.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期五 八月 15, 2008 10:50 am, 总计第 2 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 八月 15, 2008 9:02 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

What follows is an excerpt from the feedback given by my memoir writing instructor, Jamie Zeppa, author of Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey into Bhutan:

“Eric, this is very good. It's very sparse, so the dialogue has to carry the full weight of the encounter, and it does this very well. ……

You've done an excellent job in conveying the emotion of the situation, all without telling us how you felt. Instead, you allow the reader to experience it.”
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期五 八月 15, 2008 6:24 pm    发表主题: Re: Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version) 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Telling: conveys information quickly. Use it to summarize time periods and events that are not very interesting or important to your story.

Example: Judy felt tired to answer the doorbell.

Showing: means creating a scene and allowing your reader to sink into it. Use it to evoke an experience in your reader.

Example: Judy heard the doorbell, but her arms and legs felt like they were encased in concrete.

Good writing lesson. Thanks for sharing your learning.

ericcoliu 写到:

Above all – I remember Nabokov's Pnin -- “If his Russian was music, his English was murder.”

Is this a quote from Pnin?
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 八月 16, 2008 7:40 am    发表主题: Re: Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version) 引用并回复

christine 写到:

Is this a quote from Pnin?

Yes.

"The organs concerned in the production of English speech sounds are the larynx, the velum, the lips, the tongue (that punchinello in the troupe), and, last but not least, the lower jaw; mainly upon its overenergetic and somewhat ruminant motion did Pnin rely when translating in class passages in the Russian grammar or some poem by Pushkin. If his Russian was music, his English was murder." (Pnin, p.66)

Pnin narrates linguistic dysfunction and the frustration of continually running up against its limits, and it presents a different version of language: a language in pain.
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期六 八月 16, 2008 3:47 pm    发表主题: Re: Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version) 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Pnin narrates linguistic dysfunction and the frustration of continually running up against its limits, and it presents a different version of language: a language in pain.

In an interview with Dave Weich, Chinese American writer Ha Jin claimed that the most important work of immigrant literature for him is Nabokov's Pnin. As he emphasized, “[It] deals with the question of language, and I think that's at the core of the immigrant experience: how to learn the language--or give up learning the language!--but without the absolute mastery of the language, which is impossible for an immigrant. Your life is always affected by the insufficiency.”
东西[东西]
东西作品集

八品县丞
(又一个不小心,升了!)
八品县丞<BR>(又一个不小心,升了!)

注册时间: 2008-06-07
帖子: 53
来自: East_West

帖子发表于: 星期一 八月 18, 2008 12:32 pm    发表主题: Re: Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version) 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

"I don't know what you were saying." She answers impatiently like a stern faced mandarin.

Her black co-worker, from whom I’d bought tickets several times, avoids eye contact with me. The GO riders standing behind me wait patiently.

A good work.

My only suggestion would be to give us a little more reflection on why you think the co-worker avoids eye contact. What kind of interactions did you have with this co-worker previously?
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 19, 2008 8:37 am    发表主题: Re: Show Not Tell: Another Pnin (New Version) 引用并回复

东西 写到:

My only suggestion would be to give us a little more reflection on why you think the co-worker avoids eye contact. What kind of interactions did you have with this co-worker previously?

Obviously, he knew his co-work exerted her linguistic power to bully the narrator.

I don’t think I need to describe more about what kind of interactions the narrator has had with the black worker previously. I want to leave the reader to ponder on the significance of these interactions between the narrator and him in the contexts of buying tickets and both being members of minority groups which have been being discriminated against.

Thanks for sharing your thought.
浴恩福[浴恩福]
浴恩福作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-05-08
帖子: 123
来自: 多倫多

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 19, 2008 7:07 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

The recurring word in your piece is patience, which can be read as indifference.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 八月 20, 2008 5:05 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

浴恩福 写到:
The recurring word in your piece is patience, which can be read as indifference.

Yes, in the context of buying tickets. The narrator's fellow Go riders' indifference is masqueraded as patience, which bears the double meaning in my piece.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期一 八月 25, 2008 10:32 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Show not tell. Easier said than done. Easier to spot other's work than one's own. So we have to always keep it in mind when writing.
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.