Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

Writing Life in Transition and Translation (revised)

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 21, 2008 10:19 pm    发表主题: Writing Life in Transition and Translation (revised) 引用并回复

Reading, Writing, and Life on the Page

(The following piece has been accepted and will be published in the Spring 2008 Issue (online & print) of The Stellar Showcase Journal, a literary journal affiliated with The Ontario Poetry Society. A related piece entitled Lost in Translation, a reflection of my inner struggle with spoken English in the context of identity-formation, was accepted and published in the Winter 2007-2008 Issue (online and print) of The Stellar Showcase Journal. You can read its online version at
http://www.stellarshowcasejournal.com/winter2007/winter2007.htm )

Writing in English: The Writing Life in Transition and Translation

In her most renowned poetry book entitled She Tries Her Tongue, Her Silence Softly Breaks, Canadian poet and essayist Marlene Nourbese Philip explores themes of race, place, gender, colonialism and, always, language; she exposes the tension between father tongue –the white Euro-Christian male canon, and mother tongue –Black African female. Most quoted is the chant like refrain at the core of her innovative poem entitled “Discourse on the Logic of Language:”

... and English is
my mother tongue
is
my father tongue
is a foreign lan lan lang
language
l/anguish
anguish...

Yes, I concur with her words whole heartedly: “English is / … / language / l/anguish.”

Since my emigration to Canada five years ago, I have both wrestled and despaired with learning English, and I eventually came to a conclusion two years ago: I, a non-English speaking person aged over forty, had no way of mastering two languages at the same time; therefore, I needed to break with my Chinese self and to re-build a new English self in order to achieve my goal -- becoming a writer.

Generally speaking, writing is hard; writing in a foreign language is harder than I ever thought it would be. It is always an ongoing struggle to bridge the gap between what I think, what I'm going to write, and what I'm able to write. Writing, sometimes, seems to me to be displaced on the broken line between the promised and lost ways of thinking. Worse, the awareness of and concern about my intended readers may distract me from expressing my own thoughts. Writing is, as it always has been, a toiling act of expressing self.

Writing in English is very different from writing in Chinese, linguistically and culturally. The modern written Chinese language is highly literary and highbrow, and it is detached from the spoken language. Comparatively speaking, it doesn’t possess the flexibility of English, which is highly expressive and has a strong capacity for playing games with words and diction that are close to the spoken language. In Chinese, especially if you write a literary work, you don’t write in plain speech; if you do so, you’re definitely looked down on as a third-rate writer. A lot of words and phrases are deeply rooted in a centuries-old literary history of allusions and should be skilfully yet not self-inventively used in the context of the Chinese classical literary tradition.

To write in English requires different ways of thinking and focuses more on the expressiveness and innovation of words and phrases. During the course of my adjusting to English writing, I have slowly begun to squeeze the Chinese literary mentality out of my mind, and I have learned to write down what I try to say truthfully and innovatively. As Chinese American writer Ha Jin, author of the National Book Award-winning novel entitled Waiting, said emphatically, “it was like having a blood transfusion, like you are changing your blood.”

Up to this moment, I've gone through a blood transfusion for two years. For me, English writing has been and still is a twisting search into heart and mind. During the writing process, in the strain of translating spontaneous ideas or heartfelt feelings into grammatically and semantically correct sentences, I, due to a lack of mastered vocabulary and literary expressions, have to simplify the way I think and write when I force myself to put on my writing persona.

Writing is hard, and writing in English is even harder.

Honestly speaking, I had felt depressed for months, unsure of my future in Canada. One year ago this month, on a wintry morning, I had been walking on the snow-covered streets of Toronto for almost an hour with no destination in mind. All of a sudden, feeling an uncontrollable urge to cry out, I stopped walking and raised my head, screaming towards the sky, “I’m really tired of starting over. It feels like no matter what I do, it gets wiped out and I am left with nothing and need to begin again. I want to build something in my life and have something meaningful left behind. I cannot live a life that it is like walking on a snowy day with no footprints left behind.” Everybody around me at the time was scared away.

About two weeks after my “Screaming Incident,” I was surfing through the Internet and came across an excerpt of a talk about writing in English given by Ha Jin. Requested by his audience to offer some words of encouragement to aspiring writers, Ha Jin responded, "In this profession, the only thing that will wait for you is failure." He also went on to describe his philosophy about the craft of writing, "Writers don’t write for success; they do it because that’s their way of life. That’s how I confronted failure." I was deeply moved by his unflagging spirit in learning English and his unshakable commitment to English writing. All of a sudden, I was enlightened and liberated from my depressed feeling of being afraid of failure and of starting over.

One year has gone by. I still keep the practice of English writing. As the poet Robert Louis Stevenson once claimed, "Our business in this world is not to succeed, but to continue to fail in good spirits." I find that writing practice can be a way of paying attention and acknowledging traces, of revising and erasing. I have gradually come to a conclusion about my life: I am always, in some way or another, starting over, and building a new beginning again.

Moreover, writing in English oftentimes forces me to see, think, and write differently; thus it broadens the horizon of my world and knowledge, which is the main reason I emigrated from Taiwan to Canada. Austrian philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein once said,” If we spoke a different language, we would perceive a somewhat different world.” I concur! For me now, to write in English is

To attempt
To test
To make a run at something
To function with relative freedom
To strike out toward the unknown
To invent myself from moment to moment.

Writing in English is the key to The Door of No Return, helping chart my journey of immigration. I will not cease my English writing. After all, it seems to be one of the possible ways, and sometimes even the only way, to work through my inner turmoil, and to reach out to the bigger society around me. Maybe the end of my English writing will arrive where I started, and I will know what English writing means to me for the first time.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期二 三月 11, 2008 7:51 am, 总计第 4 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 21, 2008 10:49 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

When I wrote this piece, I was reminded of the following verse from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's A Psalm of Life:

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time;
戴玨[Edgar]
戴玨作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2006-12-26
帖子: 213

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 21, 2008 11:51 pm    发表主题: Re: Writing Life in Transition and Translation 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:
Writing in English is very different from writing in Chinese, linguistically and culturally. The modern written Chinese language is highly literary and highbrow, and it is detached from the spoken language. Comparatively speaking, it doesn’t possess the flexibility of English, which is highly expressive and has a strong capacity for playing games with words and diction that are close to the spoken language. In Chinese, especially if you write a literary work, you don’t write in plain speech; if you do so, you’re definitely looked down on as a third-rate writer. A lot of words and phrases are deeply rooted in a centuries-old literary history of allusions and should be skilfully yet not self-inventively used in the context of the Chinese classical literary tradition.

This is certainly the case of the classical Chinese, but not necessarily so with the modern Chinese.
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 二月 22, 2008 3:22 pm    发表主题: Re: Writing Life in Transition and Translation 引用并回复

戴玨 写到:

This is certainly the case of the classical Chinese, but not necessarily so with the modern Chinese.

Yes, it's true to some extent. In my view, modern Chinese prose style is still influenced by and judged by its relationship to classical Chinese prose style.
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-02-07
帖子: 103

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 23, 2008 8:08 am    发表主题: Re: Writing Life in Transition and Translation 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Most quoted is the chant like refrain at the core of her innovative poem entitled “Discourse on the Logic of Language:”

... and English is
my mother tongue
is
my father tongue
is a foreign lan lan lang
language
l/anguish
anguish...

Yes, I concur with her words whole heartedly: “English is / … / language / l/anguish.”

For me now, to write in English is

To attempt
To test

Maybe the end of my English writing will arrive where I started, and I will know what English writing means to me for the first time.

Although English is our anguish, we can still try to writing in English

Without knowing whether we are going to succeed
It points a way for us
In an unfamiliar world.
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 23, 2008 10:18 am    发表主题: Re: Writing Life in Transition and Translation 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

As Chinese American writer Ha Jin, author of the National Book Award-winning novel entitled Waiting, said emphatically, “it was like having a blood transfusion, like you are changing your blood.”

Up to this moment, I've gone through a blood transfusion for two years. One year has gone by. I still keep the practice of English writing. As the poet Robert Louis Stevenson once claimed, "Our business in this world is not to succeed, but to continue to fail in good spirits." I find that writing practice can be a way of paying attention and acknowledging traces, of revising and erasing.

For me, writing in Chinese can be a way of contemplation, and writing in English can be a way of focus control.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 23, 2008 11:36 pm    发表主题: Re: Writing Life in Transition and Translation 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

For me, writing in Chinese can be a way of contemplation, and writing in English can be a way of focus control.

One thing I've learned from the process of writing in my adopted language is to focus my mind and fully experience the moment of being-in-the-process-of-some-kind; over time, writing becomes a kind of concentration meditation.
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 二月 26, 2008 10:50 am    发表主题: Re: Writing Life in Transition and Translation 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

One thing I've learned from the process of writing in my adopted language is to focus my mind and fully experience the moment of being-in-the-process-of-some-kind; over time, writing becomes a kind of concentration meditation.

ericcoliu 写到:

For me now, to write in English is

To attempt
To test

Build your meditation practice through writing -- an investigation into your life.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期一 三月 10, 2008 11:32 pm    发表主题: Re: Writing Life in Transition and Translation 引用并回复

fanfan 写到:

Build your meditation practice through writing -- an investigation into your life.

For me now personally,

Writing is the act of coping
An attempt to end discords in its creator
It is to feed some hunger
Or to work through a dissonant experience
And then to regain control.

More importantly, for me now politically,

(The following piece has been accepted and will be published in the Spring 2008 Issue (online & print) of The Stellar Showcase Journal)

To Write in Canada

To write is to transport
What is felt inside you
Into an art form outside you

To write is to translate
What is haunting your heart
Into the hunt for another's mind

To write in Canada is to transform
What is bound within two solitudes
Into a dialogue of engaging other solitudes
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.