Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

Life Sketches (new, published by Tanka Society of America)
前往页面 1, 2  下一个

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 二月 02, 2009 9:58 am    发表主题: Life Sketches (new, published by Tanka Society of America) 引用并回复

Reading and Writing: Life on the Page:

(I was notified by Dave Bacharach, Tanka Society of America Editor, that two of my six submitted tanka will be published in the Spring issue of Ribbons. I was really, really happy because Ribbons is one of the most influential English-speaking tanka journals and because its publication of my tanka will make me more confident to declare myself as a writer, who writes in his adopted language)

Life Sketches

I

for years now
I have known you --
chance glimpses
through gaps in the fence
in the backyard

II

meditating
while shovelling my driveway --
snow is just snow
yet sometimes not snow
but in the end snow

The following is the rest of my submitted tanka, which are still seeking "the shelter of the alphabet":

III

I listen
to my muted heart --
every cell
pulses, cries aloud
yet you hear nothing

IV

distressed
in the wake of a dream --
I hear
time passing
in the sound of snow

V

buried earth
a silver carpet --
maples and I
gaze at the barrenness
we see in each other

VI

in Canada
moist green touches my yard --
dewdrops
cling to blades of grass
just as I do

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期日 二月 15, 2009 9:27 am, 总计第 10 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期一 二月 02, 2009 10:02 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Below is an e-mail from Dave Bacharach, Tanka Society of America Editor:

Thank you for your submissions to Ribbons. I'd like to use IV and VI for years now and the wonderful meditating.

(Note: IV and VI are I and II in this post)

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期日 二月 15, 2009 9:26 am, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 二月 03, 2009 10:54 am    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

Writing Tanka in English

Tanka are usually untitled and tanka sequence titled. Views vary on the way tanka should be written in English. Aesthetically speaking, I personally like to use about 20 English syllables (or use 10 ~ 15 words, or up to 20 words at maximum) because this shortness is very close to Japanese’s tanka. Structurally speaking, I follow Michael McClintock’s conception of tanka in the “taika” style, which combines a three-line haiku in typical objective language with two additional lines that further develop the imagery and usually introduce a lyrical, subjective element. In most cases, the three-line unit could stand alone as a haiku, while the two-line unit is dependent on the other for its meaning and context. This clearly discernible style of composition is frequently found in the classical waka and modern tanka of Japan, as well as in contemporary English-language tanka.
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 04, 2009 8:05 pm    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

II

meditating
while shovelling my driveway --
snow is just snow
yet sometimes not snow
but in the end snow

This tanka is my favorite one and it's influenced by Zen-Buddhist teachings.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 04, 2009 9:29 pm    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

christine 写到:

This tanka is my favorite one and it's influenced by Zen-Buddhist teachings.

Thematically speaking, II is written based on the Chinese Chan (not Japanese Zen) Buddhist “Rule of Three:”
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 04, 2009 11:47 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Below are replies from my poet friends:

Chen-ou, the queen of forms. Done right the msot beautiful ever writen.

The things I look for most are (1) L1-3 and L3-5 can stand alone with the former haiku like, the later most emotional/personal.

-- Gary Blankenship

Chen-ou I think this is some of your very best writing. I could only find beauty and wisdom in each of these.

-- Emusing
fanfan[FAFAFA]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 05, 2009 6:51 am    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Thematically speaking, II is written based on the Chinese Chan (not Japanese Zen) Buddhist “Rule of Three:”

A mountain is a mountain.
A mountain is not a mountain.
A mountain is still a mountain.

The statement represents the immediate affirmation of the real as real by the “prephilosophical” consciousness. In the course of Chan Buddhist practice, the reality of the real is paradoxically changed by the mind. This is expressed with the statement that says that a mountain is not a mountain. Finally, when enlightenment is attained, even the paradoxical challenge of the authenticity of the real is acknowledged as being authentic and is thus integrated into the state of authentic existence. In the end, the inauthentic is also accepted as authentic, and this is represented by the final statement that again see the mountain as a mountain. The third level of reality is not to be equated with the first; it is more complex and has integrated or “superseded” its negation.
返回页首
温暖的水獸[温暖的水獸]
温暖的水獸作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-04-23
帖子: 153
来自: 水族箱

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 05, 2009 1:25 pm    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

fanfan 写到:

ericcoliu 写到:

A mountain is a mountain.
A mountain is not a mountain.
A mountain is still a mountain.

The statement represents the immediate affirmation of the real as real by the “prephilosophical” consciousness. In the course of Chan Buddhist practice, the reality of the real is paradoxically changed by the mind. This is expressed with the statement that says that a mountain is not a mountain. Finally, when enlightenment is attained, even the paradoxical challenge of the authenticity of the real is acknowledged as being authentic and is thus integrated into the state of authentic existence. In the end, the inauthentic is also accepted as authentic, and this is represented by the final statement that again see the mountain as a mountain. The third level of reality is not to be equated with the first; it is more complex and has integrated or “superseded” its negation.

Mom upside down!

The powers of compression, implication, and understatement are precisely explored in this five-line poem.

ericcoliu 写到:

Below is an e-mail from Dave Bacharach, Tanka Society of America Editor:

Thank you for your submissions to Ribbons. I'd like to use IV and VI for years now and the wonderful meditating.

I concur!

May I ask where the rest of tanka are?
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 05, 2009 11:54 pm    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

温暖的水獸 写到:

Mom upside down!

The powers of compression, implication, and understatement are precisely explored in this five-line poem.

May I ask where the rest of tanka are?

Thanks for being so generous in your compliment.

The brief form of tanka requires compression and clarity of thought and an internal logic in the dramatic development of a succession of images.

I' ll post the rest of my tanka later.
浴恩福[浴恩福]
浴恩福作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-05-08
帖子: 123
来自: 多倫多

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 07, 2009 11:08 am    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

I

for years now
I have known you --
chance glimpses
in the backyard

Well-crafted.

It’s characteristic of North American suburban life and is concretely and succinctly portrayed in your tanka..
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 07, 2009 5:21 pm    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

浴恩福 写到:

It’s characteristic of North American suburban life and is concretely and succinctly portrayed in your tanka..

Thanks.

I re-wrote my previously posted poem entitled White Picket Fence in the form of tanka.

Although your face
was always partially blocked

For years it seems
I've known you
from casual glimpses
in the backyard

This poem grew out of my six-year experience of living in a Canadian suburb of Toronto.
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-02-07
帖子: 103

帖子发表于: 星期一 二月 09, 2009 8:45 am    发表主题: Re: Sketches of a Floating Life p.by Tanka Society of Americ 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

I re-wrote my previously posted poem entitled White Picket Fence in the form of tanka.

Although your face
was always partially blocked

For years it seems
I've known you
from casual glimpses
in the backyard

This poem grew out of my six-year experience of living in a Canadian suburb of Toronto.

I guess you live in a predominant white neighborhood. Your thought-provoking title reminds me of Toni Morrison's challenge to "avert critical gaze from the racial object to the racial subject ... from the described and imagined to the describers and imaginers;" hence, I am able to make subtle racism a "white people's problem."
agincourt[agincourt]
agincourt作品集

九品县令
(一不小心,做了官儿了。)
九品县令<BR>(一不小心,做了官儿了。)

注册时间: 2009-01-24
帖子: 15

帖子发表于: 星期一 二月 09, 2009 4:17 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

I

for years now
I have known you --
chance glimpses
in the backyard

ericcoliu 写到:

Writing Tanka in English

Structurally speaking, I follow Michael McClintock’s conception of tanka in the “taika” style, which combines a three-line haiku in typical objective language with two additional lines that further develop the imagery and usually introduce a lyrical, subjective element. In most cases, the three-line unit could stand alone as a haiku, while the two-line unit is dependent on the other for its meaning and context.

ericcoliu 写到:

Chen-ou, the queen of forms. Done right the msot beautiful ever writen.

The things I look for most are (1) L1-3 and L3-5 can stand alone with the former haiku like, the later most emotional/personal.

-- Gary Blankenship

I agree with Gary. The third line is the pivot line, not just the beginning line of a three-line unit but also the the concluding line of a two-line unit.

By the way, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your tanka submitted to TSA.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 二月 10, 2009 11:28 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

agincourt 写到:

I agree with Gary. The third line is the pivot line, not just the beginning line of a three-line unit but also the the concluding line of a two-line unit.

By the way, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your tanka submitted to TSA.

You could say so! Thanks for your close reading.

I'll post the rest of my tanka later.
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 11, 2009 6:54 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Your picket fence image that springs to mind is Robert Frost’s perspective on this issue:

Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up.
-- Robert Frost

I would like to know
What I was fencing in
And what I was fencing out.
--Robert Frost
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
前往页面 1, 2  下一个
1页/共2

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.