Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

Stories in between (No. of Stories in Prose/Verse: 7)
前往页面 1, 2  下一个

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 九月 02, 2008 4:03 pm    发表主题: Stories in between (No. of Stories in Prose/Verse: 7) 引用并回复

2008 Writing and Re-writing Project: Stories in between (as of 8th, Sep., No. of Stories in Prose/Verse: 7)

Late in the night we listen to our own breathing in the dark and rework our stories and we do it again the next morning and all day long, before the looking glass of ourselves, reinventing our purposes. Without storytelling it’s hard to recognize ultimate reasons why one action is more essential than another. --- William Kittredge

If you want to know me, then you must know my story, for my story defines who I am. If I want to know myself, to gain insight into my own life, then I, too, must come to know my story … it is a story I continue to revise and tell to myself (and sometimes to others) as I go on living. --- Dan McAdams

I am here
And not here

My body is here
My heart is there
My mind is somewhere else

These are stories in between
Told in and through
A foreign language

This has anguished me
Do my stories tell yours as well

I hope that we are one and more than one, and more importantly, that our stories utter one another.

What follows are my stories of old pasts and new beginnings, the stories which will, I hope, tell your stories as well and thus become our stories:

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期四 九月 18, 2008 7:40 am, 总计第 14 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 九月 02, 2008 4:08 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Story 1: Spring, Summer, Winter, and Spring …

Taipei is the capital city of Taiwan and the place where I grew up. On the eve of my immigration to Canada, I had a hard time deciding what kinds of clothes I should bring with me. Sitting idly by the edge of my bed for moments, I raised my head and looked at myself in the mirror, and suddenly I realized a long-neglected climatological fact and murmured:

"I've lived here for almost 4o years. It was not until moments ago that I discovered that winter doesn't follow summer immediately. There is an autumn in between."

After almost three hours, I finally put everything needed into my luggage, sat by my bed and waited for the arrival of the first ray of the sun.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 九月 02, 2008 4:17 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Story 2: My Mother's Dream

(The following piece was accepted and will be published in the No. 63, 2008 issue of CANADIAN STORIES, a literary magazine featuring family stories, personal experiences and memories of the past)

I remember the night before I immigrated to Canada. My mother was helping me to pack my luggage, and she began to tell me about the dream she had had the night before.

In her dream, she stood holding me in her arms firmly and helplessly, unable to see anything ahead of her, for she was enveloped by darkness. I, on the other hand, was resting in her arms, completely unaware of her situation. She felt alone and her face was sweating. With the passage of time, she found my body becoming heavier and heavier, and she began to panic, not knowing how long she could stand firmly and hold me tightly. At this terrible moment in her life, the only thing occupying her mind was how catastrophic it would be if she fainted and let go of me. A pain rose gradually from her feet and finally up to her shoulders and arms. She gritted her teeth and endured her pain, praying to her Goddess for help.

At the moment when my mother reached the point of almost total despair, suddenly, a spot of bright, clean space appeared by her side. The space was completely flat and big enough to accommodate me. Full of gratitude to her Goddess, she used her last ounce of strength to put me down gently while I remained sound asleep. As soon as I was laid on the ground, the earth unexpectedly began to tilt. My place of rest was now a slope. I started to slide down very quickly. While careening down, I suddenly grew up, and within few minutes was no larger than a speck of dust. My mother cried out in unspeakable desperation.

Still helping me to pack, my mother looked gently at me for a moment with tears welling up in the edges of her eyes, and said, "Take good care of you while you are away from home."
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 九月 02, 2008 4:24 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Story 3: Departure

In the airport lounge, gazing at the Chinese paintings and works of calligraphy which are intended for tourist consumption, I felt already the disconnection of a stranger.

I would never see Taipei again except through the eyes of a tourist.

To be continued ...
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期二 九月 02, 2008 7:12 pm    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

2008 Writing and Re-writing Project -- Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings

Late in the night we listen to our own breathing in the dark and rework our stories and we do it again the next morning and all day long, before the looking glass of ourselves, reinventing our purposes. Without storytelling it’s hard to recognize ultimate reasons why one action is more essential than another. --- William Kittredge

If you want to know me, then you must know my story, for my story defines who I am. If I want to know myself, to gain insight into my own life, then I, too, must come to know my story … it is a story I continue to revise and tell to myself (and sometimes to others) as I go on living. --- Dan McAdams

As usual, I like your quotes, which are always parts of pre-texts or subtexts of your piece.

Congratulations on and goo luck to the launching of your 2008 Writing and Re-writing Project.

The best writers have learned what Hemingway knew: Writing is rewriting.

By the way, I just wonder why story 3 is the shortest one.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 九月 02, 2008 10:28 pm    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

christine 写到:

As usual, I like your quotes, which are always parts of pre-texts or subtexts of your piece.

The best writers have learned what Hemingway knew: Writing is rewriting.

A sharp, discerning eye for my piece.

Yes, writing is rewriting.

How many rewrites?

During an interview with George Plimpton, Hemingway once confided that he rewrote the ending to A Farewell to Arms 39 times before he got the right words.

christine 写到:

To cut the Gordian knot.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 03, 2008 12:49 am    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

These are my stories as other
My other stories
Told in and through
A foreign language
Which has anguished me

I hope,

We are one and more than one.
Our stories utter one another.

Sometimes it's hard to tell one's story.

Do you need 'other' at the end? Or I may not understand it well.

Do my stories tell yours as well Better to add a question mark here if it is an interrogative sentence.
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 03, 2008 12:56 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:
It was not until moments ago that I discovered that winter doesn't follow summer immediately. There is an autumn in between.

I noticed in the title that 'Autumn' is missing, and I kept asking why.
Then I read the lines above, but still isn't it the common sense that Autumn comes after Summer?

Good luck and congrats to the publication.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 03, 2008 8:47 am    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

Hi! Lake:

Thank you for your attentive reading and sharing your thoughts.

Lake 写到:

Do you need 'other' at the end? Or I may not understand it well.

Yes, it's because "my stories as other" and "my other stories" are paired.

My other stories, which have taken place in a society where I've lived for the past six years, are the stories about my otherness and being otherized by the society.

Lake 写到:

Do my stories tell yours as well Better to add a question mark here if it is an interrogative sentence.

Don't you think I have to be consistent in using punctuation throughout the whole poem?

ericcoliu 写到:

Taipei is the capital city of Taiwan and the place where I grew up. On the eve of my immigration to Canada, I had a hard time deciding what kinds of clothes I should bring with me. Sitting idly by the edge of my bed for moments, I raised my head and looked at myself in the mirror, and suddenly I realized a long-neglected climatological fact and murmured:

"I've lived here for almost 4o years. It was not until moments ago that I discovered that winter doesn't follow summer immediately. There is an autumn in between."

Lake 写到:

I noticed in the title that 'Autumn' is missing, and I kept asking why.
Then I read the lines above, but still isn't it the common sense that Autumn comes after Summer?

Yes, it's the common sense that autumn comes after summer. This piece is written in and out of an emotional truth perceived by a newly displaced individual.

I assume that you haven't been living in a subtropical country where there is no clear distinction between autumn and winter

The autumn in Taipei is missing or has been missed?

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期三 九月 03, 2008 9:20 am, 总计第 4 次编辑
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 03, 2008 9:02 am    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Don't you think I have to be consistent in using punctuation throughout the whole poem?

Well, whatever makes it clear. And it is not just a pause, it intensifies a tone. My opinion only.

As I said, I may not understand it right, I took the whole thing as one poem.

引用:
I am here
And not here
I am here
With my body
Leaving my heart behind
And my mind caught in between

My other stories
Told in and through
A foreign language
Which has anguished me

I hope,

We are one and more than one.
Our stories utter one another.

Now after reading your response, the last three lines are not part of the poem, right?
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 03, 2008 9:13 am    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Yes, it's the common sense that Autumn comes after Summer. This piece is written from an emotional truth perceived by a newly displaced individual.

I assume that you haven't been living in a subtropical country where there is no clear distinction between autumn and winter

I've realized the emotional part of it as the story unravels. Ok, take it as the questions from a northerner, though I lived in the southern part of China for quite a while. Now you can experience the beautiful autumn in Canada, and snow, too. Even spring and summer deliver a different, fresh feel, I suppose.

Now my work is calling me, got to go.

Best,
返回页首
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 03, 2008 2:37 pm    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

It's not either/or but both/and.

ericcoliu 写到:
christine 写到:

To cut the Gordian knot.

A thoughtful and clear-cut answer.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 04, 2008 8:11 am    发表主题: Re: Stories in between: Old Pasts and New Beginnings 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

ericcoliu 写到:

Well, whatever makes it clear. And it is not just a pause, it intensifies a tone. My opinion only.

As I said, I may not understand it right, I took the whole thing as one poem.

Hi! Lake:

It's my fault. I didn't make it clear. I've revised it.

Lake 写到:

I've realized the emotional part of it as the story unravels. Ok, take it as the questions from a northerner, though I lived in the southern part of China for quite a while. Now you can experience the beautiful autumn in Canada, and snow, too. Even spring and summer deliver a different, fresh feel, I suppose.

Yes. The autumn in Canada is too beautiful, too short, and thus too depressing.

Another Autumn sung by Tony Bavaar

Verse

Winter's coming on, I feel it all around,
The leaves are moving faster along the ground.
Why have all the dreams been broken wide apart,
And where is all the hope that was in my heart?

Refrain

Another autumn,
I've known the chill before,
But every autumn
I feel it more and more.
For you can dream in spring
When every hope is high,
But when the fall comes in
They all begin
To fade and die.
Another autumn,
So sweet when all is well,
But how it haunts you
When all is wrong.
For one thing time has shown,
If you're alone
When autumn comes,
You'll be alone all winter long.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 九月 06, 2008 10:14 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Story 4: A Copy of A Newcomer’s Introduction to Canada

Welcome to Canada.
Name: Chen-ou Liu (phonic);
Country of Birth: R.O.C.;
(Cross out R.O.C. and fill in Taiwan)
Place of Birth; Date of Birth; S e x;
Simply more technocratic questions
The Immigration Officer needs to pin down my borders;
He is always looking for shortcuts,
More interested in the roadside signposts
Than in the landscapes that have made me;
The line he wants me confined to
Is an analytically recognizable category:
Landed Immigrant. My history is meticulously stamped.
Now, you're legally a landed immigrant.
Take a copy of A Newcomer’s Introduction to Canada.

Note:

A Newcomer’s Introduction to Canada is written and issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to give new immigrants helpful information for planning ahead, but it is not a detailed guide. For more information, they will be given another book called Welcome to Canada: What You Should Know. It contains specific information on all the practical aspects of living in Canada.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 九月 06, 2008 10:17 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Story 5: Where Is My Home?

Where is my home?

It is Taipei, Republic of China, aka Taiwan, where I was born and raised and complained about or County of Mount Dragon, Hunan, People’s Republic of China, where my father came from and I never set foot, or Beijing, People’s Republic of China, where I had been indoctrinated about the center of my fatherland, or Ajax, Ontario, Canada, where I now live and have a piece of property, or Toronto, Canada, where I meet and exchange ideas with people across the globe.

Where then is my Home?
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
前往页面 1, 2  下一个
1页/共2

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.