Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

The Death of an Enemy Combatant (revised)

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 06, 2008 9:15 am    发表主题: The Death of an Enemy Combatant (revised) 引用并回复

The Death of an Enemy Combatant

“Now, it’s your turn, John,.” she said invitingly.
“Uh, I, …” John seemed to have something stuck in his throat.
“Take your time. No rush.” She looked gently at him.
“One night during my last week in Kandahar, I and another medic named Joe went out with a platoon into the enemy’s occupied base to see if anyone was still alive. We entered this bunker or cave, and found that there were pools of blood, scattered body parts, and pieces of human flesh stuck to the walls. Then I found something that was moving. When I approached it, I found this a dying Afghani, who was waving his arm. When he saw me approach him, he just stared at me. There was no aggression in his eyes. Rather, they just cried, “help me.” I was staring right at him and, uh,…, I didn’t do anything. I…I stood there, doing nothing. About a minute later, his arm just stopped … stopped moving…”
“OK, John. Take a deep breath. Let’s stop here, today. You can go now. Just don’t forget to take your meds.”

最后进行编辑的是 dundas on 星期二 六月 24, 2008 7:03 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 06, 2008 10:41 am    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

“One night my last week in Kandahar, I and another medic named Joe, we went out with a squad of Rangers, and followed a platoon into the enemy’s occupied place to see if anyone is still alive. Then we entered into this bunker or cave, and found that there were pools of blood, scattered body parts, and human flesh pieces stuck to the wall. Then I found something that was moving. When I approached it, I found there was a dying afghani, who was waving his arm. When he saw me approach him, he just stared at me. No mean, though. Just like “helping me.” I was staring right at him and, uh,…, I didn’t do anything. I…I stood there, doing nothing. About a minute later, his arm just stopped … stopped moving…”
“OK, John. Take a deep breath. Let’s stop here, today. You can go now, and don’t forget to take your meds.”

No, he did something: killing a dying man and a part of himeself.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 06, 2008 1:51 pm    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

Then we entered into this bunker or cave, and found that there were pools of blood, scattered body parts, and human flesh pieces stuck to the wall.

“OK, John. Take a deep breath. Let’s stop here, today. You can go now, and don’t forget to take your meds.

In every new war, there is an amnesia that sets in. We always forget that the first thing we kill in every war is human dignity. We kill our own humanity first.

By the way, afghani or afghan?
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

帖子发表于: 星期三 五月 07, 2008 9:27 am    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

By the way, afghani or afghan?

It should be "afghan." A typographical error. Thanks.

ericcoliu 写到:

In every new war, there is an amnesia that sets in. We always forget that the first thing we kill in every war is human dignity. We kill our own humanity first.

Before we kill our own humanity or the enemy, in war, the first casualty is truth as claimed by Greek tragic dramatist Aeschylus 2500 years ago.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 五月 07, 2008 5:52 pm    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

ericcoliu 写到:

Before we kill our own humanity or the enemy, in war, the first casualty is truth as claimed by Greek tragic dramatist Aeschylus 2500 years ago.

Interesting observation.

What follows is an except from Democracy! Now, which serves a warning sign for the concluding paragraph of your piece:

Report: Suicide May Be More Deadly Than Combat for Troops

"The US government’s top psychiatric researcher estimates the number of suicides among veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan may exceed the combat death toll of the wars because of inadequate mental healthcare. Thomas Insel, director of the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland, said community mental health centers have failed in providing adequate care to veterans. A recent study by the RAND Corporation determined that 20 percent of returning US soldiers have post-traumatic stress disorder or depression, and only half of them receive treatment. The House Veterans Affairs Committee is holding a hearing this morning on the issue of veteran suicides. Steve Rathbun from the University of Georgia will be testifying. According to his research, as many as 120 veterans are committing suicide every week."
浴恩福[浴恩福]
浴恩福作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-05-08
帖子: 123
来自: 多倫多

帖子发表于: 星期四 五月 08, 2008 1:16 pm    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Report: Suicide May Be More Deadly Than Combat for Troops

"The US government’s top psychiatric researcher estimates the number of suicides among veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan may exceed the combat death toll of the wars because of inadequate mental healthcare. Thomas Insel, director of the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland, said community mental health centers have failed in providing adequate care to veterans. A recent study by the RAND Corporation determined that 20 percent of returning US soldiers have post-traumatic stress disorder or depression, and only half of them receive treatment. The House Veterans Affairs Committee is holding a hearing this morning on the issue of veteran suicides. Steve Rathbun from the University of Georgia will be testifying. According to his research, as many as 120 veterans are committing suicide every week."

Tragic consequences of waging an injust war.

Your piece reminds me of All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.
clair[clair]
clair作品集

七品按察司
(我开始管这里的事儿了)
七品按察司<BR>(我开始管这里的事儿了)

注册时间: 2008-03-13
帖子: 83

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 13, 2008 11:26 am    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant 引用并回复

浴恩福 写到:

Your piece reminds me of All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.

Memorable Quotes from Movie All Quiet on the Western Front:

Paul Baumer: You still think it's beautiful to die for your country. The first bombardment taught us better. When it comes to dying for country, it's better not to die at all.

Katczinsky: At the next war let all the Kaisers, presidents and generals and diplomats go into a big field and fight it out first among themselves. That will satisfy us and keep us at home.

Death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it.
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

帖子发表于: 星期二 六月 24, 2008 7:04 pm    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant 引用并回复

clair 写到:

Death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it.

Thanks for the comment and the quote.
I've revised my piece.
fanfan[FAFAFA]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 六月 27, 2008 2:30 pm    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant (revised) 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

Then I found something that was moving. When I approached it, I found this a dying Afghani, who was waving his arm. When he saw me approach him, he just stared at me. There was no aggression in his eyes. Rather, they just cried, “help me.” I was staring right at him and, uh,…, I didn’t do anything. I…I stood there, doing nothing. About a minute later, his arm just stopped … stopped moving…”
“OK, John. Take a deep breath. Let’s stop here, today. You can go now. Just don’t forget to take your meds.”

The tragic, invisible loss of waging wars. Lots of war vets have suffered from PTSD.

Here are two headlines from Democracy Now! ( http://www.democracynow.org/ )

Headlines for May 28, 2008

PTSD Rises 46% Among US Troops
New figures show a dramatic increase in post-traumatic stress disorder among US troops. According to the Pentagon, new cases of PTSD surged more than 46 percent last year, bringing the five-year total to nearly 40,000. The number of cases rose as President Bush extended Army tours and expanded the occupation of Iraq under the so-called troop surge.

Headlines for April 18, 2008

Report: 300,000 Iraq & Afghan Vets Suffer PTSD & Depression
300,000 US troops who served in Iraq and Afghanistan are suffering from major depression or post-traumatic stress disorder. This, according to a new study by the RAND Corporation. Researchers say nearly 20 percent of the troops who served in the war zones are suffering PTSD and depression, but only half of them have sought treatment. RAND researcher Terri Tanielian said, “Unless they receive appropriate and effective care for these mental health conditions, there will be long-term consequences for them and for the nation.” The study also estimates that 320,000 service members had experienced a possible traumatic brain injury while deployed. Researchers say female soldiers and reservists had the highest rates of post-traumatic stress disorder and major depression. Meanwhile, in Texas, the Dallas VA Medical Center has been forced to close its psychiatric ward to new patients after the suicides of four veterans this year.
返回页首
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

帖子发表于: 星期四 七月 03, 2008 9:24 am    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant (revised) 引用并回复

fanfan 写到:

The tragic, invisible loss of waging wars. Lots of war vets have suffered from PTSD.

Yes, this tragic, invisible loss caused by waging wars has never appeared on the radar screen of state policy decision makers.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 七月 03, 2008 8:57 pm    发表主题: Re: The Death of an Enemy Combatant (revised) 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

Yes, this tragic, invisible loss caused by waging wars has never appeared on the radar screen of state policy decision makers.

Yes, a lot of American vets feel rage, despair,self-hatred, and self-doubt in response to being helpless in the face of constant danger, ambiguity, and ever-changing explanations of why Americans are in Iraq.
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期三 七月 09, 2008 6:58 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

"I was trying to be the tough marine I was trained to be -- not to talk about problems, not to cry. I imprisoned myself in my own mind."

- ANTHONY KLECKER, a gunner on the rear Humvee in a First Marine Division
convoy early in the war in Iraq who has since been diagnosed with severe post-traumatic stress disorder ( http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/us/08vets.html?th&emc=th )
返回页首
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

帖子发表于: 星期一 七月 28, 2008 12:58 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

christine 写到:

"I was trying to be the tough marine I was trained to be -- not to talk about problems, not to cry. I imprisoned myself in my own mind."

- ANTHONY KLECKER, a gunner on the rear Humvee in a First Marine Division
convoy early in the war in Iraq who has since been diagnosed with severe post-traumatic stress disorder ( http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/us/08vets.html?th&emc=th )

Thanks for this valuable information regarding PTSD and the heartfelt quote, which reminds me of my own dehumanized military training.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.