clair作品集

七品按察司
(我开始管这里的事儿了)
七品按察司<BR>(我开始管这里的事儿了)

注册时间: 2008-03-13
帖子: 83

帖子发表于: 星期四 五月 01, 2008 2:47 pm    发表主题: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

Silence Is a Looking Bird co-authored by ericcoliu

In my view, the most challenging part of a poet’s work is to name the unnameable and articulate the unspoken or unspeakable. Silence is such a poetic realm worthy of further exploration and even transgression of the boundaries of imagination. In his succinct and intense poem below,

silence
.is
a
looking

bird:the

turn
ing;edge, of
life

(inquiry before snow

E. E. Cummings tackles this challenging subject by defining it through two vivid images: “the looking bird” and “the turning edge of life.” The first image signifies the potentiality of the unactualized voice and its underlying metaphor that has been displaced is that of the singing bird. The second one refers to the unimaginable passage where speech turns into speechlessness. These two images are beyond conventional representation. Is a looking bird still a bird? And can the turning edge of life be called a life? He works hard on the limits of literary representation and tries to pin down the elusive nature of his escaping subject.

Still, silence, Cummings humbly admits, partly resists definition because of its self-sufficiency as the punctuation mark, a period, at the beginning of the second line clearly demonstrates. Written in his innovative sentence structure, silence in itself is a sentence that hardly needs any verb. To further explore the unheard and express the unspoken, he resorts to the eye and points out the analogy between silence and snow, two words that begin and end with the poem. The last line, “(inquiry before snow,” is left out a closing parenthesis and followed by a huge blank, loudly announcing a white downpour, a visual snow that covers the rest of the page. This literary device is similar to a Chinese painting method, "leaving blank” (liu bai in Chinese), with which artists may leave the background blank to enhance the impact in order to emphasize a particular subject. Silence is made visible on the page by the surrounding blank space. If silence is the unspoken by definition, through the reader’s imagination, silence can be experienced visually on the page. To some extent, this poem is not only textual but also visual, and Cummings skilfully enables the reader to decipher the mute hieroglyphs of the page and to turn them into speech. Silence is a looking bird, which can realize its potentiality of singing beautiful songs through imagination.

最后进行编辑的是 clair on 星期五 二月 04, 2011 11:06 am, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 五月 01, 2008 3:05 pm    发表主题: Re: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

clair 写到:

Silence is made visible on the page by the surrounding blank space. If silence is the unspoken by definition, through the reader’s imagination, silence can be experienced visually on the page. To some extent, this poem is not only textual but also visual, and Cummings skilfully enables the reader to decipher the mute hieroglyphs of the page and to turn them into speech. Silence is a looking bird, which can realize its potentiality of singing beautiful songs through imagination.

A good review.

In his poem, silence, at least to me, is materially made visible on the page by being identified with the surrounding blank space.
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期四 五月 01, 2008 3:42 pm    发表主题: Re: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

clair 写到:

silence
.is
a
looking

bird:

The first image signifies the potentiality of the unactualized voice and its underlying metaphor that has been displaced is that of the singing bird.

Good point. I like the "looking bird" metaphor.

Maybe displacement is one of few possible ways to expresse silence.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 五月 02, 2008 9:42 am    发表主题: Re: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

clair 写到:
Silence Is a Looking Bird

He works hard on the limits of literary representation and tries to pin down the elusive nature of his escaping subject.

Still, silence, Cummings humbly admits, partly resists definition because of its self-sufficiency as the punctuation mark, a period, at the beginning of the second line clearly demonstrates. Written in his innovative sentence structure, silence in itself is a sentence that hardly needs any verb..

In my view, the true spirit of this poem is close to that of Japanese haiku.

The "intrusive" insertion of “is” between “a period” and “a looking bird” explains the relationship between the bird and its quietness.
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期六 五月 03, 2008 12:19 pm    发表主题: Re: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

clair 写到:

silence
.is
a
looking

bird:

The first image signifies the potentiality of the unactualized voice and its underlying metaphor that has been displaced is that of the singing bird.

Good point. I like the "looking bird" metaphor.

Maybe displacement is one of few possible ways to expresse silence.

Yes, a good point.

In E. E. Cummings' another poem, enter no, on silence,

enter no(silence is the blood whose flesh
is singing)silence:but unsinging.
In
spectral such hugest how hush,one

dead leaf stirring makes a crash

-far away(as far as alive)lies
april;and i breathe-move-and-seem some
perpetually roaming whylessness-

autumn has gone:will winter never come?

o come,terrible anonymity;enfold
phantom me with the murdering minus of cold
-open this ghost with millionary knives of wind-
scatter his nothing all over what angry skies and

gently
(very whiteness:absolute peace,
never imaginable mystery)
descend

He articulates the dynamic relationship between silence and "unsingingness." Now, "a looking bird" (silence), which literally means a unsinging bird, makes it possible to understand why he chooses the adjective "unsinging."
返回页首
温暖的水獸[温暖的水獸]
温暖的水獸作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-04-23
帖子: 153
来自: 水族箱

帖子发表于: 星期一 五月 05, 2008 12:48 pm    发表主题: Re: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

clair 写到:

To further explore the unheard and express the unspoken, he resorts to the eye and points out the analogy between silence and snow, two words that begin and end with the poem. The last line, “(inquiry before snow,” is left out a closing parenthesis and followed by a huge blank, loudly announcing a white downpour, a visual snow that covers the rest of the page. This literary device is similar to a Chinese painting method, "leaving blank” (liu bai in Chinese), with which artists may leave the background blank to enhance the impact in order to emphasize a particular subject. Silence is made visible on the page by the surrounding blank space.

A good point.

I know E. E. Cummings is not only a poet but also a painter. Maybe he learned something about "leaving blank" from Chinese brush painting. It seems to me that the conception of silence apparently plays a decisive role in Cummings’ aesthetics.
clair[clair]
clair作品集

七品按察司
(我开始管这里的事儿了)
七品按察司<BR>(我开始管这里的事儿了)

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 13, 2008 11:34 am    发表主题: Re: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

Thank you all for your comments, which encourage me greatly.

ericcoliu 写到:

In my view, the true spirit of this poem is close to that of Japanese haiku.

The "intrusive" insertion of “is” between “a period” and “a looking bird” explains the relationship between the bird and its quietness.

Cummings scholar Michael Dylan Welch wrote an essay, titled THE HAIKU SENSIBILITIES OF E. E. CUMMINGS , to explore the overlap of haiku with the poetry of E. E. Cummings, who is one of few Western poets who have given their attentive ears to the Japanese poetry of silence.
clair[clair]
clair作品集

七品按察司
(我开始管这里的事儿了)
七品按察司<BR>(我开始管这里的事儿了)

帖子发表于: 星期二 五月 13, 2008 11:40 am    发表主题: Re: Silence Is a Looking Bird 引用并回复

christine 写到:

In E. E. Cummings' another poem, enter no, on silence,

enter no(silence is the blood whose flesh
is singing)silence:but unsinging.
In
spectral such hugest how hush,one

dead leaf stirring makes a crash

-far away(as far as alive)lies
april;and i breathe-move-and-seem some
perpetually roaming whylessness-

autumn has gone:will winter never come?

o come,terrible anonymity;enfold
phantom me with the murdering minus of cold
-open this ghost with millionary knives of wind-
scatter his nothing all over what angry skies and

gently
(very whiteness:absolute peace,
never imaginable mystery)
descend

He articulates the dynamic relationship between silence and "unsingingness." Now, "a looking bird" (silence), which literally means a unsinging bird, makes it possible to understand why he chooses the adjective "unsinging."

Yes, he didn't choose "unsinging" lightly.
When he was a college student at Harvard University, he once wrote an essay to discuss one of defining characteristics of Japanese poetry: silence, which has become one of his favourite conceits
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.