发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-02
帖子: 7141

帖子发表于: 星期日 四月 06, 2008 3:33 pm    发表主题: Review on my poems from Paul Hartal 引用并回复

Dear Anna,

Your Mirror poem is a short but pensive and poignant collage. It is also an intriguing opus about shared solitude and suffering. However, it reveals less than it hides. Mirror poems are miraculous portals of the poet's identity, of self and soul. They also represent an entire genre in themselves.

Now, before I go further, let me point out that as far as I am concerned, I do not trust mirrors. They are hopelessly incorrigible liars. They shrink you, enlarge you, and distort you. They reverse your reflection from right to left. Just show a written page to the mirror, and you immediately see what I mean. Besides, no two mirrors are the same; regardless whether they are concave or convex, or ordinary flat surface mirrors. They are all different. And they always contradict you. For example, if you point your finger horizontally toward the north, perpendicular to its plane, the mirror will point to the south.

Actually, what we see in the mirror is not an exact reflection but an image modified by our perception of ourselves. We project our thoughts and feelings on mirrors. People with eating disorders, for example, tend to see their reflected image in the mirror fat, even if they are slim. Due to the intense fear of becoming obese, they perceive themselves overweight in spite of being emaciated. The vast majority of anorexic-bulimic persons are young women from middle and upper class families. They are victims of a cruel society obsessed with debased views of youth and sadistic contempt of aging, immersed in a sick culture that does not respect women and dehumanizes womanhood.

Culture is complex, of course, but in this Machiavellian environment also a cunning conspiracy exists between the entertainment industry and the fashion establishment, between promoters of diet fads, pharmaceutical corporations and medical clinics who unscrupulously brainwash people that something is wrong with their appearance. Thousands of plastic surgeons perform every year millions of liposuctions, face lifts, nose jobs, breast augmentations and other operations. Most of their patients are women, who stand more and more time in front of their slyly concurring mirrors.

But let us go back to poetry. Generally speaking, a poem does not attempt to exhaust its topic. In the particular case of your Mirror, perhaps we even might ask: Is less more? What I mean is this: How does the poem gain weight by connecting your own reflections with the tragedy of Plath and Atwood's fascination with mirrors?

I am not calling here for changing the verse, because I believe in the author's authority (please, see page 51 in my collection of Postmodern Light), regarding the correspondence between intention and expression. Revisions are double edged swords: sometimes they improve the piece, sometimes they weaken it.

Western art, including poetry and literature, is obsessed with a confused postmodern perspective of meaninglessness, nihilism, despair, malice and venom, eventuating in the the culture of drugs and death.

Personally, I am attracted more to your poems than to those of Plath, Atwood and many other North-American writers. Why? Because your gracefully sensitive voice, your mystical Taoist outlook on the world, intertwined with Confucian wisdom, bring a flowering high noon antidote to western decadence.

It is good to grow and evolve, but does every direction of change benefit us all the same? I do not subscribe to the credo of cultural relativism, which ironically concludes that all societies and cultures are equal. Cannibalism still exists in some parts of the world. The West had practiced slavery, witch burning, and its modern dictators murdered countless millions of people. India is a remarkable ancient civilization but it has had a tradition of burning widows. And before the East became red, many Chinese parents deformed their daughters' feet in order to increase their wedding marketability by means of a bizarre . appeal. In brief, cultures and societies are not equal.

Canada is a fascinating mosaic of provinces and communities, a relatively young country, which became a confederation only in 1867. It is a sterling parliamentary democracy with a high quality of life. But when it comes to culture—to paraphrase the lament of a critic from The Montreal Gazette -- Canada is a land of whisky and hockey, rather than a country of art and poetry.

On the other hand, you come from a marvelous ancient land with a grand poetic heritage. China is a country with at least 5,000 years of continuous civilization, fabulously rich in art, refined and sophisticated in culture. In the Shi Jing, or Book of Odes, there are poems that are probably older than Homer’s Odyssey. And in contrast to the antagonistic individualism and competitive conflicts that characterize life in Canada, the Chinese people are known for their spirit of team cooperation, aspiration for social concordance and collective harmony.

You carry within you a pristine magical world, a spiritual extension of the Great Wall as a majestic symbol spanning continents, bridging past, present and future:

Upon my heart, the Great Wall
is an eternal home,
crossing over the Pacific Ocean.
My offspring will follow its beckoning
towards a root-searching return (1).

In order to contrast your poignantly lofty, soul uplifting oeuvre against the voices of existential angst and despair as the hollow backdrop of Canadian literature, I would like to use the example of Margaret Atwood. Although she is a toweringly gifted writer, her main forte lays in the mastery of the language, in the domain of aesthetics, rather than in the power of her arguments, the validity of her message, or the persuasiveness of her vision. Her excessive preoccupation with form and deconstruction obfuscates content and meaning in her work.

The deconstructionist ambiguity of Atwood’s writings is a telltale hallmark of postmodern art. Deconstruction denies the possibility of point to point communication between author and reader. It claims that the meaning and the significance in the writer’s constructed text are always altered through the deconstructing interpretation of the reader. Thus the reader is as much a creator as the author. Consequently, communicating coherent meaning is impossible.

While it is certainly true that communication always involves the possibility of misinterpretation, extreme deconstructionist theory does not really hold water. If effective human communication were impossible, the astonishingly complex operation of landing the astronauts on the moon could not have been accomplished.

My basic criterion for judging the value and significance of art is tied to its life serving function. Atwood herself says that art is not for its own sake, or for the sake of morality, but for “survival’s sake”. She examines human history and discovers its bloody cycles of violent calamities. According to her she wrote the dystopic novels of The Handmaid’s Tale and Oryx and Crake as cautionary tales for our inevitable apocalyptic future of self annihilation through the abuse of science and technology.

Although we have to differentiate between the beliefs of fictional characters in a novel versus the author’s own views, I find Atwood’s vision of history misguided. What is worse, her fundamental message as a visionary writer ironically backfires because of her non sequitur panic and hopelessness. Is it really the destiny of the human race to destroy itself? If there is no hope of survival in the future, why should we struggle at all? To prevent the inevitable apocalypse? I reject not only the depressing vision of a hopeless human future but also the homogenously repulsive climate of her dystopias, which on the whole dehumanize women and demonize men.

In spite of the fact that history is filled with darkness, violent tragedies and wars, it is a story of light, accomplishments and periods of peace as well. I believe that through collaboration, goodwill and harmony among the nations we are capable to avoid a spiraling deterioration of the human condition. Just as humans are capable of waging wars, they are also capable of making peace.

I take it for granted that women have equal rights to men. I also believe that peace on earth cannot be achieved without the elevation of women. However, human happiness cannot be divided into separate realms of female and male domains. Individual happiness can be achieved only through the collective efforts and collaboration of man and women.

Generally speaking in many respects women appear to be wiser than men. I believe that women have a higher sense of care for others, as well as a higher level of emotional and social intelligence. They really should hold key positions in every field of life in greater numbers.

And this brings me back to Atwood. Reflected in a feminist mirror, her characters are often men portrayed as rapists, predatory aggressors, violent misogynists and evil murderers of women:

The men of the town stalk homeward,
Excited by their show of hate,
Their own evil turned inside out like a glove,
And me wearing it (2).

Her Half-Hanged Mary is inspired by a real event during the Salem Witch Trials of the 1690s. However, Atwood distorts history by presenting this case as evidence of a war of men against women. She withholds the fact that men and even children became victims of witch hunts; and that women also participated in the persecutions of witches. Her approach to history reminds me Mark Twain’s comment: The truth is a most precious commodity, let’s economize it. So, Atwood’s poem emerges as a well-written propaganda piece advancing feminist agendas. Ironically, it is politically correct but historically false.

Unfortunately, within the context of North-American literature Margaret Atwood has contributed to the postmodern outlook of despair and hopelessness. Her poetic voice also has deepened the discordance between men and women, furthering their alienation. It undermines social harmony.

The truth is a sacred domain of the poet, yet nonetheless poetry is full of lies. This paradoxical Yin-Yang polarity is its necessary attribute because poetry expresses all aspects of existence, earth and sky, matter and mind, reality and dream, cosmos and soul.

I find your mirrors more fascinating than those of Atwood, Plath and other poets of despair. In contrasts to their depressive verses, your poetry moves, inspires and uplifts. You sing about poplars, dandelions and moonlight, memories and dreams, joys and sorrows in a magical voice that transcends the here and now.

Yet the fall cannot stop its footsteps,
And descends into the dark night.
I stand like a beacon.
Light travels to shine on the faraway road.
I won’t believe—
We cannot arrive in spring (3).

And with its sober sadness, the touching melancholic tone of your poem, When I die, celebrates life even in death:

My grave will open its sliding tunnel,
For a butterfly to flutter to the moon,
When lavenders swing in evening primroses,
A wish star shall land in your dream (4).

Your heartfelt words and thoughtful lines transport me from the mundane world to a spiritual cosmos. They create unbounded bridges between finite matter and infinite soul, suspended in the ethereal sphere of the transitory past and the eternal present.

There must be something
Beneath the snow,
When quiescence dominates mountains,
Squirrels clutch pinecones,
And I watch you from a distance (5).

Well, Sweet Anna, at this point I stop.

May you go from strength to strength!

Paul
---------------------------------------------

References:

1) Anna Yin, The Great Wall;
The Future Looks Bright,
A CFP Anthology, edited by Tracy Repchuk;
Toronto, 2006; p.18

2) http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/01/277707.shtml

3) Anna Yin, Farewell to Sunflowers , Toronto, 2007; p. 36

4) Farewell to Sunflowers , p. 38

5) Farewell to Sunflowers, p. 14

Mirror
by Anna Yin

Why do you watch?
you don't know me,
near or far, exist or not.

Why do you cry?
you forget your coldness
in Plath's reflection?
She doesn't need you any more,
eyes closed, useless tears,
too late.

Atwood has carried you
from room to room,
door to door;
brought home hollow silence
along with sigh and reassurance.

Now you settle here,
watch and listen:
I ,outside,
they, inside.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》
<Nightlights> <Seven Nights with the Chinese Zodiac> ...

http://annapoetry.com
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 四月 07, 2008 9:00 am    发表主题: Re: Review on my poems from Paul Hartal 引用并回复

Paul 写到:
Dear Anna,

Your Mirror poem is a short but pensive and poignant collage

Personally, I am attracted more to your poems than to those of Plath, Atwood and many other North-American writers. Why? Because your gracefully sensitive voice, your[b] mystical Taoist outlook
on the world, intertwined with Confucian wisdom, bring a flowering high noon antidote to western decadence.

[/b].

Mirror
by Anna Yin

Why do you watch?
you don't know me,
near or far, exist or not.

Why do you cry?
you forget your coldness
in Plath's reflection?
She doesn't need you any more,
eyes closed, useless tears,
too late.

Atwood has carried you
from room to room,
door to door;
brought home hollow silence
along with sigh and reassurance.

Now you settle here,
watch and listen:
I ,outside,
they, inside.

Collage? In what way or sense? Mirror is not a postmodern poem, an eclectic collage of lines and styles from the works of Atwood and Plath.

In a literary sense, there is a big difference between allusion and collage.

Please read the introduction to The Frame and the Mirror: On Collage and the Postmodern by Thomas P. Brockelman

“More than an introduction to the postmodern, The Frame and the Mirror advances our understanding of the contemporary world by relating its features to the peculiar characteristics of collage. Ultimately, Brockelman shows how collage demands that we reinterpret modernity, conceiving of it as suspended between a loss of certainty and a new kind of knowledge about the human condition.

In doing so, his work challenges many of the claims made in the name of postmodernism — and offers in their place a new and ironic view of the cultural space in which contemporary and historical events occur.”

-- from a review of The Frame and the Mirror: On Collage & Postmodernism by Thomas P. Brockelman 2001 Northwestern Uni Press

mystical Taoist outlook? Confucian wisdom? Which poem? which line?

Just throw around literary or philosophical terms without either explaining them or seeming to understand them.
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-02
帖子: 7141

帖子发表于: 星期四 四月 10, 2008 12:04 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks Paul and Eric.

For me, to see different people have different views is very helpful.

It makes me ponder and re-read my poem.

Western people have different understanding about Chinese culture. Some are even more deep. I think we all need to be open mind. Every kind of thoughts could be renew. Once I watch a TV program about a female Canadian writer who teaches Buddhism. I found her lecture very profound and different from the Buddhism which I heard backhome. It added more fresh meaning and practical function. It teached why we need to be kind, and why we need to respect ourselves and others as well. I was attracted by her thoughts and visions.

Sorry, because these days I am very busy, so I didn't reply this.

But indeed, I thank Paul to take time and seriously review my poems.

Paul is a very responsible writer. He does not make comments without justification (including Tao and Con Fu Tze).

So here, I thank Paul very much.

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》
<Nightlights> <Seven Nights with the Chinese Zodiac> ...

http://annapoetry.com
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期四 六月 19, 2008 12:32 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Paul revised this one month ago, after he read Eric comments here and want to make his point more clear.

Now I add link here for reference. to read please click:

http://anna.88just.com/Mirror.php

Lately I submit my poetry for contest in Toronto. I do hope Atwood will not be the judger. Very Happy Embarassed

Here, I want to say I admire all the beautiful and powerful works each poet writes. I never compare myself with others,
but I do write many poems inspired by others' works.
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.