ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 20, 2007 11:37 pm    发表主题: Reading, Writing, and Life on the Page: Winter Epigrams 引用并回复

Reading, Writing, and Life on the Page

Winter Epigrams

In her recent work of creative non-fiction entitled A Map to the Door of No Return (2001), Dionne Brand meditates profoundly on and is deeply concerned with the representation of Black people in the diasporas as presented fragments of travel narrative, autobiography, poetry, memory, history, newspaper clippings and intertextual references:

"So far I’ve collected these fragments, like Ludolf – disparate, and sometimes only related by sound or intuition, vision or aesthetic. I have not visited the Door of No Return, but by relying on random shards of history and unwritten memoir of descendants of those who passed through it, including me, I am constructing a map of the region, paying attention to faces, to the unknowable, to unintended acts of returning, to impressions of doorways. Any act of recollection is important, even looks of dismay and discomfort. Any wisp of a dream is evidence." (p. 19)

After having practised English writing for two years and more importantly, being inspired by Dionne Brand’s work of and insights into diaspora literature, I, at the turn of the year, have decided to launch my English Writing Project entitled Reading, Writing, Life on the Page, which, I hope, will explore my exilic life, reflect on my reading of literary works, meditates on the art and craft of English writing, and examine the always complex relationship between life and writing.

What follows is my first piece of writing entitled Winter Epigrams:

Today is supposed to mark the official beginning of winter. However, last Sunday, the Canadian winter had always hit its inhabitants in all its fury, packing a punch that closed an international airport, shut down some of schools and left commuters with a white-knuckle drive on major highways and city streets. For people, who immigrated from tropical or subtropical areas, and who want to survive the hostility of winter,

One must have a mind of winter
To regard the frost and the boughs
Of the pine-trees crusted with snow[.] 1

Up to this stage of my immigrant life here, I have failed to cultivate a “mind of winter” because

In the beginning
I thrash[ed]
But Now
Against the walls of winter
Unable to sleep through the world 2

And also because I has become trapped within

Deep snowbound years
Of separation 3

I am weary of all winters mother
Winter within, winter without 4

Like Goodison, in her poems entitled Winter Epigrams, Dionne Brand refers to the Canadian winter acts as a hostile place; she exposes the brutalities of racism perpetuated, in past and present, by the white “civilized” world. She devalorizes the “beauty of the Canadian winter,” employing the season as a metaphor for Toronto’s frigid response to Black immigrants, who persist in “rooting their gardens/looking for green leaves.” 5 Winter Epigrams consists of sarcastic, lyrical, and keen epigrams that confront the most insistent season - winter - in all its moods. They are a reaction to that most deterministic reality by a writer nurtured in sunshine and transplanted to the cold North, containing some spirited diatribes against the Canadian winter:

cold is cold is
cold is cold is
not skiing
or any foolhardiness in snow.
……
I give you these epigrams, Toronto,
these winter fragments
these stark white papers
because you mothered me
because you held me with the distance that i expected,
here, my mittens,
here, my frozen body,
……
i give you winter epigrams
because you are a liar,
there is no other season here. 6

In the works of contemporary Canadian Caribbean women poets, winter becomes a metaphor for all that Canada is not: warm, comfortable, and fertile. As for me now, “there is other season here.” The cold, whiteness of Canada makes me become “bleached / by nostalgia 7: yellow in / exile.” 8

Notes

1 The Snow Man written by Wallace Stevens.
2 Of Iron, Bars and Cages written by Claire Harris.
3 En Route written by Claire Harris
4 I Am Weary of All Winters Mother written Lorna Goodison.
5 Winter Epigrams written by Dionne Brand.
6 Winter Epigrams written by Dionne Brand.
7 En Route written by Claire Harris
8 August written by Claire Harris.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期六 一月 19, 2008 2:07 pm, 总计第 5 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 21, 2007 10:37 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Up until the Second World War, Canada has a strict hierarchy of preferred racial groups for immigration. This immigration policy drew upon an "environmental racism" similar to the Canada First movement, excluding Blacks and Asians on the grounds that they were unsuited to the cold climate of Canada. The notion of "climatic unsuitability" was enshrined in immigration law as a reason for barring non-whites until 1953.

Since significant immigration policy reform, which adopted a merit-based point system as its mechanism for granting permanent residence status regardless of race, religion and ethnicity, was made in the 1960s, it’s ironic to see that, , in the works of contemporary Canadian Caribbean women poets, the cold climate of Canada makes non-whites become “bleached / by nostalgia; yellow in / exile,” supporting the arguments of "climatic unsuitability" for non-whites.
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 23, 2007 6:10 pm    发表主题: Re: Reading, Writing, Life on the Page: Winter Epigrams(revi 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

In the works of contemporary Canadian Caribbean women poets, winter becomes a metaphor for all that Canada is not: warm, comfortable, and fertile. As for me now, “there is other season here.” The cold, whiteness of Canada makes me become “bleached / by nostalgia 7: yellow in / exile.” 8

Now is the winter of our discontent!

Yes, the Canadian winter is chillily icy cold, dark cold -- the sort of darkness that takes you deep into yourself.

Though the blatantly racist language of the Firsters, who suggested that “the Canadian climate weeded out the week and the lazy and discouraged members of the ‘southern races’ from settling here,” has faded in the era of officially endorsed multiculturalism, many of the essential ideas about the North and its role in shaping Canadian identity espoused by the Canada First movement are still with us.

That is why, in the works of contemporary Canadian Caribbean women poets, winter becomes a metaphor for all that Canada is not: warm, comfortable, and fertile.
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 27, 2007 11:17 am    发表主题: Re: Reading, Writing, Life on the Page: Winter Epigrams(revi 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Reading, Writing, Life on the Page: Winter Epigrams

I, at the turn of the year, have decided to launch my English Writing Project entitled Reading, Writing, Life on the Page, which, I hope, will explore my exilic life, reflect on my reading of literary works ......

Indeed, this piece of writing reflects on your exilic life as well as your reading of the works of contemporary Canadian Caribbean women poets.

Have you read Margaret Avison's The Winter Sun ?
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 10:43 am    发表主题: Re: Reading, Writing, Life on the Page: Winter Epigrams(revi 引用并回复

fanfan 写到:

Have you read Margaret Avison's Winter Sun ?

Yes, I read her award-winning poetry several years ago.

I know what you're aiming at? "winter" "sun", right? The paradox of the overtitle, “winter sun.”

Margaret Avison, praised as "one of the great religious poets" of the 20th century, had lived in Toronto for many years of her adult life. In Winter Sun, she had come to terms with her lived experience in a big city. Of course, she doesn't just describe the street scenes; she also wonders at the "chill" of "The Sticks-&-Stones, this City"; she notices that it "Lies funeral bare." And we as her readers are left to wonder, is it the winter that makes the city so cold? Or is there something else at work? Generally speaking, her poetry seldom touches on the unbalanced power relations between the non-whites and the whites as the works of Canadian Caribbean women poets do.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.