For He calls Himself a Lamb.
He is meek, and He is mild;
He became a little child.
I a child, and thou a lamb,
We are called by His name.
Little Lamb, God bless thee!
Little Lamb, God bless thee!

Review

The Lamb is narrative in style, written in the form of question and answer from the perspective of a child-speaker. The first stanza begins with the question, “Little Lamb, who made thee?” The child-speaker asks the little Lamb the big question about its origins: how it came into being, how it acquired its manner of feeding, its “clothing of delight,” its “tender voice.” In the second stanza, the child-speaker attempts to answer his own question: the little lamb was made by one who “calls Himself a Lamb,” and one who is “meek” and “mild.” The poem concludes with the child-speaker conferring a blessing on the little Lamb.

Structurally speaking, The Lamb consists of two stanzas, each containing five rhymed couplets. Repetition in the first and last couplet of each stanza makes these lines into a refrain, and it helps to give the poem its song-like quality. It has a generally light, upbeat, and pastoral feel. The style of the poem is simple and direct, but the language and the rhythms are well crafted, and the ideas it explores are deceptively complex.

Throughout the poem, the beauty of nature is pervasive; Blake uses pastoral symbolism to depict nature as innocent, meek, and mild. The little Lamb, seen as a representative of nature, is described as “tender,” “soft,” “woolly,” and “bright;” the “vales rejoice” at the little Lamb’s beauty and innocence. The Lamb infused with an idyllic aura reveals how highly Blake values nature, which is a characteristic of Romanticism as a poetic movement.

The question -- who made thee -- the child-speaker raises is a simple one, and yet he further taps into the profoundly existential question of human origins and the nature of creation. The answer the child-speaker comes up with is possibly inspired by Gentle Jesus, Meek and Mild. It was one of the most popular Christian hymns of Blake’s day, which was written in 1742 by prominent hymn writer Charles Wesley (1707–1788):

Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
look upon a little child;
pity my simplicity,
suffer me to come to thee.

Fain I would to thee be brought,
dearest God, forbid it not;
give me, dearest God, a place
in the kingdom of thy grace.

Lamb of God, I look to thee;
thou shalt my example be;
thou art gentle, meek, and mild;
thou wast once a little child.

Fain I would be as thou art;
give me thine obedient heart;
thou art pitiful and kind,
let me have thy loving mind.

Let me, above all, fulfill
God my heavenly Father's will;
never his good Spirit grieve;
only to his glory live.

Thou didst live to God alone;
thou didst never seek thine own;
thou thyself didst never please:
God was all thy happiness.

Loving Jesus, gentle Lamb,
in thy gracious hands I am;
make me, Saviour, what thou art,
live thyself within my heart.

The child’s answer reveals his native confidence in his simple Christian faith and his total acceptance of its teachings. Thematically speaking, in addition to relating the Lamb to nature, Blake relates the Lamb to God, employing more traditional Christian imagery. The Lamb is about Christianity, a Christian poem written from a perspective of traditional Christianity.

First of all, the subject matter is drawn from the Christian tradition. The poem starts with a question about the Creator and it concludes by affirming the Lamb’s role in creation, which is one of the main themes expressed in the Book of Isaiah and the Gospel of John.

Secondly, the pastoral scene portrayed in the first stanza, which is embodied in the imagery of The Lamb's feeding “by the stream and o'er the mead” suggests God's kindness in creation, and more importantly, it has an echo of similar descriptions in the Book of Psalms, especially Psalm 23, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want", and the parables of Jesus.

Thirdly, when answering the question in the second stanza, Blake does not directly name Jesus as the one who made the “Little Lamb.” Instead, he uses two biblical motifs -- the lamb and the child -- to imply his answer.

For he calls himself a Lamb.
He is meek and he is mild;
He became a little child.
I, a child, and thou a lamb.
We are called by his name.

Here, Blake makes two comparisons. He compares the Creator first to a lamb and then to a child. Both of these comparisons are rooted in Scripture, especially in the Johannine tradition.

Finally, through the hymn lyrics of Gentle Jesus, Meek and Mild and the traditional Christian teachings, children are told that the lamb symbolizes Jesus – the Lamb of God. The biblical image of Jesus as a lamb emphasizes the Christian virtues of gentleness, meekness, and peace-loving. In the four Gospels of the New Testament, the image of the child is always associated with Jesus; Jesus displays a special affection for children, claiming that hidden things are revealed to little children and that we need to change and become little children in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The scriptural depiction of Jesus in his childhood shows him as guileless and vulnerable. These are characteristics from which the child-speaker approaches the ideas of nature and of God.

In a nutshell, The Lamb describes the innocence and joy of the natural world, advocates free love and a closer relationship with God, and it dramatizes the naive hope and innocent confidence in the form of question and answer that inform the lives of Christian children of Blake’s day, inviting a contrasting reading against the perspective of "experience" represented in the poem The Tyger. Contrary to The Lamb's firm belief in the basic teachings of traditional Christianity, The Tyger consists entirely of unanswered questions, and it involves a sophisticated acknowledgment of what is unexplainable in the universe, presenting evil as the prime example of something that cannot be denied, but will not withstand facile explanation, either.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期四 十二月 20, 2007 10:02 am, 总计第 2 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期三 十二月 19, 2007 10:58 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

very good.

Thank you for sharing.
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 20, 2007 12:11 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Eric,

Through your essay I can see the culture in Christian is deep rooted in this poem.
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 20, 2007 11:02 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for reading and commenting my writing.

William Blake is one of the major Romantic poets, whose verse and artwork became part of the wider movement of Romanticism in late Eighteenth and early Nineteenth century European Culture, which is deeply rooted in Christianity. His volume of poetry entitled Songs of Innocence and Experience is the embodiment of his belief that innocence and experience were “the two contrary states of the human soul,” and that true innocence was impossible without experience. Throughout his poetic work, Blake’s research and introspection into the human mind and soul has resulted in his being called, in Stanley Appelbaum’s term, the "Columbus of the psyche" because no language existed at the time to describe what he discovered on his voyages.
fanfan[FAFAFA]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 27, 2007 11:00 pm    发表主题: Re: Songs of Innocence: The Lamb 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

In a nutshell, The Lamb describes the innocence and joy of the natural world, advocates free love and a closer relationship with God, and it dramatizes the naive hope and innocent confidence in the form of question and answer that inform the lives of Christian children of Blake’s day, inviting a contrasting reading against the perspective of "experience" represented in the poem The Tyger. Contrary to The Lamb's firm belief in the basic teachings of traditional Christianity, The Tyger consists entirely of unanswered questions, and it involves a sophisticated acknowledgment of what is unexplainable in the universe, presenting evil as the prime example of something that cannot be denied, but will not withstand facile explanation, either.

Poem Lyrics of The Tyger

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Indeed, it invites a comparison between two conflicting perspectives represented here and in The Lamb.

The open awe of The Tyger does make sharp contrasts with the naive confidence, expressed in The Lamb, of a child's innocent faith in a benevolent universe created by his God.
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.