四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 09, 2007 8:56 pm    发表主题: Do Something about Your Clothes 引用并回复

Do Something about Your Clothes

Earlier this afternoon, my mother broke into my room without any notice, and yelled at me, "Do you know what time it is? Get up now. You need to do something about your clothes. Go to your father's store and get some DECENT clothes."

"Why are you all of a sudden so concerned about the way I dress myself?" I contended.

"For God's sake, don't you know there will be a big party held at the Sheraton at six? How can you wear your ragged clothes to embarrass us in public," she kept complaining, "You are the only son of your father. When he retires at the end of this year, you are supposed to take over his business. Until then, people will judge you by your appearance. They definitely can't stand the sight of your ragged clothes. Get up quickly and get some DECENT clothes for yourself. I MEAN IT. Don't lose our face."

Finally, my mother had finished her decent clothes talk. I was kind of tired of her cliché-ridden remark about my dressing style; however, tonight's party would be a big, important one for my parents. I didn't want to run the risk of losing my monthly allowance; hence, I needed to wear "formal attire" for the sake of my parents.

I got up reluctantly, brushed my teeth, and washed my face. When I caught sight of myself in a mirror, I couldn't help wondering who would know that beneath this tacky appearance there lived a person of depth and significance. Maybe only Susan, the over-permed checkout girl at my father's store. Every time she saw me, she always greeted me with a warm smile and sang the praises of my dressing style. I just didn't understand why most people, surely including my parents, were so obsessed with their appearances, got themselves busy with keeping up their appearances, and they didn't bother themselves to probe beneath the social facade.

When I arrived at my father's store, it was around 4:10 pm. It was a little bit late, and I had to get my clothes as soon as possible. Within thirty minutes, I got all of the clothes I needed, and I rushed to the checkout counter. Upon my arrival at the checkout counter, I was quite stunned by what I saw: so many people were lined up there, waiting to check out. I had no time to wait for the check-out, and then I ran to the elevator reserved for managers, directly down to the parking lot.

Suddenly, a rough hand came down hard on my shoulder and spun me around.

"That's not the way we play the game." A young security guy yelled at me. I barely knew this young guy. More surprisingly, he didn't know me at the first sight.

"What are you talking about? Are you new here? Do you know who I am?" I answered with a little angry tone.

He violently pulled my hands behind my back and pushed me past a line of customers staring at us.

"Shut up! It's none of your business if I'm new here or not. I'm not stupid. You're trying to steal nice clothes from this store." He kept telling at me.

"What are you talking about?" I shouted "I'm the only son of your boss. There is no need for me to steal clothes from this store. What this store has now will be mine someday."

He squeezed my hands harder and raised his voice, "What? You're the only son of my boss," he looked me up and down, and he laughed at me, saying "Look at you! The way you're dressed. If you're my boss' son, I would be your father's boss."

"What?" I shouted in disbelief. At this moment, I also heard a burst loud laughter from a line of staring customers. My eyes were brimming with tears, and my chest was pounding. Right now, I desperately needed a hiding place. "If I panic now…” I murmured.

The elevator door was opening and my father came out. He saw me and immediately pulled a long face, "Son, what are you doing here. It's almost five. Dress yourself in some DECENT clothes."

Right at this moment, I felt that the hands holding my shoulder loosen. The young security guy was unable to look me in the face. Tears were rolling down my face. It was the first time in my life I acknowledged that I needed to do something about my clothes.
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期六 十一月 10, 2007 10:53 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

It's a fun read.

“人看衣服马看鞍”, Sometimes, clothes does make a difference, though I prefer casual and comfortable clothes.

It sounds like this is a very traditional family - "my mother broke into my room", even without knocking the door? And then it also tells that she's so annoyed with her son's clothes.

Well, it's all up to the situation what you need to wear, right? And what you wear can tell whether you care it or not, the importance you show to ...
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期六 十一月 10, 2007 10:53 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

The popular saying, "Clothes make the man", rings ture in your story
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期六 十一月 10, 2007 10:17 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Lake 写到:

It sounds like this is a very traditional family - "my mother broke into my room", even without knocking the door? And then it also tells that she's so annoyed with her son's clothes.

Good observation.

How much can you expect of the parents to respect the privacy of their young adult son while giving him a monthly allowance?

Our clothes are an essential part of us for most of us ever to be entirely indifferent to their condition: it is as though the fabric were indeed a natural extension of the body, or even of the soul.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 十一月 15, 2007 5:55 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:

Our clothes are an essential part of us for most of us ever to be entirely indifferent to their condition: it is as though the fabric were indeed a natural extension of the body, or even of the soul.

Maybe it’s time for us to be more concerned about our shabby ideas than our clothes.

If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies... It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it.”

-- Albert Einstein
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.