Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

Life in Transition (3 pieces published in CANADIAN STORIES)
前往页面 1, 2  下一个

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 六月 29, 2007 10:21 am    发表主题: Life in Transition (3 pieces published in CANADIAN STORIES) 引用并回复

(My three submissions, My Mother’s Dream, Life in Transition, and Border Crossings, were accepted at different times but published in the same issue, the February 1, 2009 No. 65, of CANADIAN STORIES, a literary magazine featuring family stories, personal experiences and memories of the past.

According to its Editor Ed Janzen, “they look very good all together." I was overjoyed by his decision. These three pieces succinctly portray my immigration journey in verse and prose

My three stories have generated an enthusiastic outpouring of diverse letters from readers. Below are two excerpts from Letters to the Editor:

The other piece to catch my attention was “Border Crossings” by Chen-ou Liu. It tells a huge story so simply. I’ve heard that truth so often; that an immigrant never feels at home until he or she either visited the homeland again or, as in the case in this poem, gone somewhere else and returned to recognize home. It’s a revealing little poem.

Sincerely,
Kay Parley

In Issue #65, there were several stories by recent immigrants from Asia. That’s the NEW face of Canada and I think fits very well in a CANADIAN STORIES magazine.

I’m especially thinking of the stories by Chen-ou Liu. In “My Mother’s Dream” it is so poignantly told of the emotions of parting when a member of a family leaves for a distant land. I have often wondered why my ancestors left Europe and how difficult it must have been for them and for the ones left behind. But that was so far in the past that there was none left to ask. I also liked the story, “Life In Transition”. As one who loves nature and observes as much as I can, it was enlightening to me to learn that a maple tree can teach such important lesson. “Border Crossings” expressed so much in so few words. It was beautiful!

Ellis Gunter
}

My Mother’s Dream

I remember the night before I immigrated to Canada. My mother was helping me to pack my luggage, and she began to tell me about the dream she had had the night before.

In her dream, she stood holding me in her arms firmly and helplessly, unable to see anything ahead of her, for she was enveloped by darkness. I, on the other hand, was resting in her arms, completely unaware of her situation. She felt alone and her face was sweating. With the passage of time, she found my body becoming heavier and heavier, and she began to panic, not knowing how long she could stand firmly and hold me tightly. At this terrible moment in her life, the only thing occupying her mind was how catastrophic it would be if she fainted and let go of me. A pain rose gradually from her feet and finally up to her shoulders and arms. She gritted her teeth and endured her pain, praying to her Goddess for help.

At the moment when my mother reached the point of almost total despair, suddenly, a spot of bright, clean space appeared by her side. The space was completely flat and big enough to accommodate me. Full of gratitude to her Goddess, she used her last ounce of strength to put me down gently while I remained sound asleep. As soon as I was laid on the ground, the earth unexpectedly began to tilt. My place of rest was now a slope. I started to slide down very quickly. While careening down, I suddenly grew up, and within few minutes was no larger than a speck of dust. My mother cried out in unspeakable desperation.

Still helping me to pack, my mother looked gently at me for a moment with tears welling up in the edges of her eyes, and said, "Take good care of you while you are away from home."

Life in Transition

Being here. Sitting at my desk. I look out the window at the maple tree in the garden. The maple has lost all of its leaves. It simply relinquishes the riches of the season without any grief; it lets go and goes deep into its roots for sleep and renewal for the upcoming year.

When I am alone, I really see and feel the maple; I pay attention to it. Why? Partly because it changes right before my eyes. It lives and dies in the natural cycle of life, keeping me from total immersion in self-pity and in touch with process, growth, and also dying. I float with its moments and feel alive again.

Sometimes I wonder whether it is possible in middle age to reinvent one’s self radically. Can I control resentment and regrets, master a new language, and express my thoughts and impulses fully in a borrowed tongue? If I cannot, I will gradually lose who I was and become uncertain and insecure about who I am and what I am going to do for the rest of my life. Since my immigration to Canada in 2002, I have done nothing important, but go ahead with life, moment by moment and hour by hour: cleaning the house, preparing meals, and going out for grocery shopping. If I cannot achieve anything, I can at least try to create some order and sanity around me.

Does anything in nature despair except man? A wounded animal with a foot caught in a trap does not seem to despair. It is too busy trying to survive. It is closed in on itself, to a kind of still, intense, and seemingly endless waiting. Is this the key? Keeping yourself busy with survival?

I’m alone sitting at the desk and immersed in my despair; meanwhile the world goes on. The world does not seem to care about my despair. It does not matter how depressed I am for nature continues with both inanimate and animate forms in their cyclical occurrences. The sun is moving across the landscape, over the maple tree. At this moment, perhaps, the maple lends itself to my imagination as if inviting me to imitate it. Learn to lose in order to recover for nothing stays the same for long, not even pain. Sit it out. Let it all pass. Let the maple tree teach me to care and not to care; let it teach me to sit still.

Border Crossings

A newcomer to Ajax,
you've stayed there six years;
but at night in dreams,
Taipei is still your hometown.

Today, you drove south
across the Canada/USA border
and were awakened:
Ajax is now your home.

I’ve expanded Border Crossings and renamed it to Crabwalk:

Crabwalk (Poem Sequence Based on Chinese Poetics)

I

Every night
I slept in Taipei
but woke up in Ajax

My mind was winged
by a yearning
for things not yet lost

II

An immigrant to Ajax
I'd stayed there six years
but at night in dreams
Taipei was still my home

Last week, I drove south
across the Canadian border
Reality dawned and I realized
From now on Ajax will be
where I am from

III

Sometimes I dream in Chinese
I dream my father's dream
I awake and become Eric

Sunlight streams into my room
caressing me with its warmth
as it welcomes me home

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期二 四月 07, 2009 8:34 am, 总计第 11 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期五 六月 29, 2007 12:41 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

eric,

A smoothly written journal with sentiment and remorse very well expressed. You are not alone, and in a way you are more lucky than some people who are either not willing to or do not have the ability as you do to talk about their despair.

From what you wrote it sounds like you have a settled, comfortable life unlike a trapped animal that is busy with survival so that you have more time to think about what life means.

We do what we can. The choice we made makes a difference.

Hope you can get enlightened by observing a maple tree.

Cheers,

Lake
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 六月 29, 2007 3:29 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for your comment.

I do live a settled, comfortable life with an unsettling mind and heart. With the passage of time, this settled life has disquieted my soul.
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期五 六月 29, 2007 9:06 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Let the maple tree: teach me to care and not to care; teach me to sit still.

The nature knows: the beauty inside always thrills us.
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 六月 30, 2007 11:54 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

A poem I read today:

Like dew that vanishes,
like a phantom that disappears,
or the light cast
 by a flash of lightning----
so should one think of oneself.

By Ikkyu Sojun
Tr. Steven Carter
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 七月 01, 2007 8:23 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Yes, one should think of oneself in order to let go of oneself.

Only one koan matters - you ~Ikkyu Sojun

Thanks for your timely advice.
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 七月 01, 2007 9:06 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

It is always easier said than done.

Now I need to try and follow the advice myself. Wink
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 十月 14, 2007 9:51 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

I' ve revised and renamed the journal entry of Oct 22, 2003 as Life in Transition.
老婆婆[老婆婆]
老婆婆作品集

八品县丞
(又一个不小心,升了!)
八品县丞<BR>(又一个不小心,升了!)

注册时间: 2007-10-13
帖子: 56

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 06, 2007 11:03 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

I don't think it is too late to change your life when you are in middld-age. Though I am still too young to say that, I really think that once you set up your mind to do something new, it is never too late.

When you determine to try something new, you will find the passion that has lost in your life as time goes by. And in front of you, a new life begins.

To me, life is just beginning, everything is so fresh, so new and so wonderful. You have experienced this period I am experiencing now. When you set up your mind to change your life, you will experience this period once again.

Chinese people can become famous English writers. But what we need much more are good translators who can translate good Chinese articles into English ones. To let foreigners know.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 06, 2007 11:45 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

老婆婆 写到:

When you determine to try something new, you will find the passion that has lost in your life as time goes by. And in front of you, a new life begins.

Thanks for your encouragement. I like the word you used PASSION, a keyword in the existentialist literature, especially in Camus' writing.

Have you seen Jiang Wen's feature directorial debut entitled In the Heat of the Sun (Chinese title is 阳光灿烂的日子)? It is a coming of age story set in Beijing in the 1970s after the Red Guards had been disbanded. Jiang's camera, wandering at will through space, and tracking and backtracking through time, embodies an absolute freedom just out of reach of the film's principals.

It seems to me you're living not in the "rainy season" but instead under "the heat of the sun."

Share with you my reflection on "At That Time:"

At that time, the sky was much bluer and brighter than it is today. The sun could shine through the clean air, and we would not feel hot. Trees especially grew big and lush, making the island like a rain forest.

At that time, our bodily fluids and tears were as fresh and abundant as the dews on the petals. We were generous to let them drop as we liked. We were much less sophisticated than people are today and willing to sacrifice ourselves for something beyond us, for something large than life like the common good,
undivided by any party line.

At that time, the galaxy and shooting stars were usually recognizable in summer lights; when gazing into the starry night for a while, one uncontrollably came up with a vast upsurge of sentiment on the vicissitudes of human life. Some of us would vow to do something remarkable in the future, lest this life might be wasted.

At that time, we were innocent like children with pure hearts.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 12, 2009 11:35 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

My three submissions, My Mother’s Dream, Life in Transition, and Border Crossings, were accepted at different times but published in the same issue, the February 1, 2009 No. 65, of CANADIAN STORIES, a literary magazine featuring family stories, personal experiences and memories of the past.

According to its Editor Ed Janzen, “they look very good all together.’ I was overjoyed by his decision. These three pieces succinctly portray my immigration journey in verse and prose
浴恩福[浴恩福]
浴恩福作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-05-08
帖子: 123
来自: 多倫多

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 12, 2009 1:56 pm    发表主题: Re: Life in Transition (3 pieces published in CANADIAN STORI 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

According to its Editor Ed Janzen, “they look very good all together." I was overjoyed by his decision. These three pieces succinctly portray my immigration journey in verse and prose)

Crabwalk (Poem Sequence Based on Chinese Poetics)

I

Every night
I slept in Taipei
but woke up in Ajax

My mind was winged
by a yearning
for things not yet lost

II

An immigrant to Ajax
I'd stayed there six years
but at night in dreams
Taipei was still my home

Last week, I drove south
across the Canadian border
Reality dawned and I realized
From now on Ajax will be
where I am from

III

Sometimes I dream in Chinese
I dream my father's dream
I awake and become Eric

Sunlight streams into my room
caressing me with its warmth
as it welcomes me home

Congratulations to you on your publication!

Indeed, they look good all together.

I like your expanded poem, Crabwalk, which subtly and succinctly portray your Life in Transition
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 二月 13, 2009 4:55 pm    发表主题: Re: Life in Transition (3 pieces published in CANADIAN STORI 引用并回复

浴恩福 写到:

Indeed, they look good all together.

I like your expanded poem, Crabwalk, which subtly and succinctly portray your Life in Transition

Thanks for your kind words.

The title, Crabwalk, is taken from Gunter Grass's novel of the same title and defined by Grass as "scuttling backward to move forward," implying a backward glance at history in order to allow one to move forward.
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 28, 2009 1:42 pm    发表主题: Re: Life in Transition (3 pieces published in CANADIAN STORI 引用并回复

Three pieces published in the same issue. Quite an achievement!

ericcoliu 写到:

Border Crossings

A newcomer to Ajax,
you've stayed there six years;
but at night in dreams,
Taipei is still your hometown.

Today, you drove south
across the Canada/USA border
and were awakened:
Ajax is now your home.

Here is my take on the concept of "home:"

Fly like Canada geese --
don’t gaze back
at your homeland
and carry it
in your heart.

They have been migrating
since the beginning of time,
leaving no traces on the sky,
but they never
forget their way home.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 三月 03, 2009 8:30 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Yes. Home is where the heart is.

Salman Rushdie says, in "Imaginary Homelands", that "it may be argued that the past is a country from which we have all emigrated ... but ... the writer who is out-of-country and even out-of-language may experience this loss in an intensified form ... of his being 'elsewhere'" (p 12).
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
前往页面 1, 2  下一个
1页/共2

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.