ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期三 六月 06, 2007 2:54 pm    发表主题: What Is Time, Actually? 引用并回复

Time is one of the greatest of all our obsessions. Why? In many ways, it's a complete paradox. After all, time has no physical basis. We can't feel, smell or touch it. Yet there's almost a sense that we can really experience it: time flies when we have fun and stands still when we get bored. Moreover, we really can't ignore the unrelenting tick of the clock. Regardless of whether it's a business meeting, or a migration of a school of fishes, our world runs on time. We simply can't avoid it.

Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future?
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.

In Burnt Norton, the first of The Four Quartets, T. S. Eliot reflects on the nature of time. What is? What has been? What was? What will be? What is the relationship between the past, the present and the future? What is eternity?

All of the abovementioned questions have gradually become my own obsession, and I simply can’t do away with them. Since my emigration to Canada, I feel I have been caught between two cultures, stuck in a limbo sense of time, which is a sense of experiencing an uncertain present encompassing the nostalgic past and the unforeseeable future at the same time. It is the sense of displacement and estrangement that prompts me to try to cross the boundaries of time and to free myself from the puzzlement of the present through delving into memories of the past and imagination of the future.

Examine for a moment the state of my mind on an ordinary day. My mind receives myriad impressions – past encounters intensely engaging in discussions with my friends, present activities in doing domestic chores, and perpetual fantasies in pre-planning my seemingly promising future. From all directions of time past, present and future they come, an incessant shower of innumerable atoms, and as they fall, they shape themselves into the life of Monday or Sunday, making no difference between weekdays and weekends.

Time, though it makes flowers bloom and fade with amazing punctuality, has no such simple effect upon my mind; moreover, my mind works with equal strangeness upon the body of time. An hour, once it is immersed in the dull moment, may be stretched to a hundred times its clock length; on the other hand, an hour may be represented on the timepiece of my mind by the split of a second regardless of the boundaries of time. If you ask me what time is, I really don’t know how to answer you. Clock time means no difference to me because I’m lost to the time of memory and imagination.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期四 九月 06, 2007 8:04 am, 总计第 3 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期三 六月 06, 2007 5:54 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

“时间就是生命。” Cool

cheers,
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期三 六月 06, 2007 9:15 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Time is moment,
Time is breathing,
then time is life.
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 六月 07, 2007 4:36 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for your comment.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 七月 07, 2007 5:39 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

What is time, actually? Who can readily and briefly explain this? We understand when we speak of it; we understand also when we hear it spoken of by others.

In his groundbreaking work, Confessions, St. Augustine claims:

“What then is time? If no one asks me, I know: if I wish to explain it to one that asked, I know not: yet I say boldly that I know, that if nothing passed away, time past were not; and if nothing were coming, a time to come were not; and if nothing were, time present were not."

Time is the subject of Book XI of Confessions, in which St. Augustine explores the relationship between God's timelessness and his creation's experience of time. In his view based on Christian theology, God is “outside of time;” St. Augustine declares, “Time itself being part of God’s creation, there was simply no before.” God has no business with time, and in his eyes all time is present as one unified moment, which is called eternal now in Christian theological terms. Human beings as God’s creation, however, experience time, which St. Augustine views as a soul-wrenching quality. Although experiencing the passage of time, he suggests that time may be a kind of ‘distension,” a stretching of the soul, which is a sign of distance from God – creation has fallen away from God’s eternality into successive time.

Not every Christian theologian agrees with St. Augustine about his conception of time. Paul Tillich, generally considered one of the 2oth century's outstanding and influential thinkers, claims that it is our estrangement and guilt which are the impediments keeping us from reaching eternal life “here and now.” In the 11th chapter of his influential work entitled The Eternal Now, he argues:

The mystery is that we have a present; and even more, that we have our future also because we anticipate it in the present; and that we have our past also, because we remember it in the present. In the present our future and our past are ours.

Maybe in our effort remembering of and participating in “life here and now”, we can do away with the baffling question -- what time is.

By the way, it’s 6:20 pm at the time of finishing this piece of writing.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 八月 16, 2007 4:29 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Time is
The home in which we were born
The terrain around which we wander
The school in which we are educated
The fire in which we burn
Then, we become the fire
Finally, the ashes of our memories
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.