江落雨作品集

九品县令
(一不小心,做了官儿了。)
九品县令<BR>(一不小心,做了官儿了。)

注册时间: 2006-11-06
帖子: 42

帖子发表于: 星期五 十一月 10, 2006 10:03 am    发表主题: Chinese, a colorful flower 引用并回复

Chinese, a colorful flower

Before learning it many foreign students always think that the Chinese Language is the most difficult language in the world, just like climbing the Himalayas. But as everybody knows, it is also difficult to start everything. When you determine to learn it well, you will find that Chinese is just like a flower, colorful and beautiful.
To most foreigners who speak the Indo-European languages, the most unacceptable thing is that in Chinese pronunciation and character are different at all, not even similar. I have a friend who comes from Madagascar once told me her understanding about learning Chinese. She said that she couldn’t understand why the Chinese pronunciation is so different from the character, and it is too hard to remember both pronunciation and character for those who speak French. She told me French is much easier than Chinese owing to the identity of pronunciation and character. You can read it out when you see a French word according to their regulations of pronunciation. Maybe she is right, but do remember, what she thinks is unacceptable is the same as what we think about French –all the things are either male or female. Do remember which word is male and which is female, do remember each pronunciation of each character. You can easily read a French word out but there are many pronunciations that are different, but Chinese pronunciations are limited. That is to say, a same pronunciation may belong to many characters, for example, pronunciation he can means river, lotus, nut, rice, box and so on. If you can pronounce these pronunciations, you can speak Chinese very well. All you have to do is to remember the pronunciation of each character. Read it out. It is the best way to learn a language. The more you read, the easily you remember them.
As to characters, it is impervious to reason that they are like drawing not characters. You can’t remember them by remember theirs letters A, B, C, D, you have to recognize their styles of character and remember how to write them. In fact Chinese characters are composed by heng, shu, pie, na, zhe and dian, but you can’t read them out like read letters A, B, C, D out. You have to write it, the more, the better. I have a friend who comes from Indonesia. I always met her in the library where she was studying very hard. She has a notebook on which she wrote many Chinese characters. She told me when she saw some new characters in the newspaper she will write them down and try to remember them. I asked whether it was too difficult to remember Chinese characters and she shook her head. She said Chinese is like drawing, the more you write the more interest you will find. What she said reminded me of my past during which I learned Chinese. I still remembered when I was in the first grade of primary school my teacher taught us Chinese At first she drew the sun, the moon, water and fire and then drew a line in the middle of the sun it becomes ri, drew two lines in the moon and it changes into yue, and water, fire, hill and so on. I found it interesting because they come from nature, come from this colorful and beautiful world. So it is a good way to remember them by their material objects. But as more and more Chinese you learn, it is unable to learn in this way. When you have learned some Chinese you will find that most of them have their regulations—character components (pian pang bu shou). For example, san dian shui refers to water, such as he (river), hai (sea). Mu zi pang refers to plants, especial trees, such as shu (tree), yang (poplar), liu (willow). It is interesting to collect these characters and it will help you to remember as much characters as you can.
You have to remember many words to read an English article, but you needn’t recognize so many Chinese characters in a Chinese composition due to its combination. Each character is an independent character, and they can combine to form a new word. Take the following six characters for example: dian (electricity), nao (brain), xian (thread), ke (shell), bei (shellfish) and suo (search). You can mix two of them into a new word. dian nao(computer), dian xian (wire), nao ke (skull), xian suo (clue), bei ke (clamshell). That is to say, you only remember six Chinese characters and combine them, you can know eleven words; but in English you have to remember eleven words. So do not lose heart. Chinese is not so difficult as you think.
Chinese has many phrases, which are difficult to understand and remember for foreigners. But do you know that many phrases have their interesting stories? They were handed down from generations to generations, carrying their remote and antique histories. For example, bei gong she ying. If you just look at the phrase you can’t understand what it means, but if you have heard its story, you can comprehend it easily and remember it firmly. The story comes from “feng su tong yi”. It is said that long long ago there was a man who invited a guest to have a dinner. On the wine cup reflected an arrow which was hung on the wall, but the guest mistook it for a snake and fell ill when he came back, thinking that he had been poisoned. From then on this phrase is compared to those who are terrible suspicious and panic.
You see, Chinese is not so difficult to learn as long as you find a right way. If you make up your mind to learn it well you will feel it is like a flower, colorful and beautiful.

note: This composition was first published in China Daily on Sep 29,2006.

最后进行编辑的是 江落雨 on 星期二 十一月 14, 2006 5:33 am, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
晓鸣[自己的敌人]
晓鸣作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-05
帖子: 9474
来自: 加拿大多伦多

帖子发表于: 星期六 十一月 11, 2006 6:40 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

好文章。你的分析让那些视学中文为畏途的人有了一些捷径。虽然这捷径还是如蜀道一样难。我女儿经常都在感叹学中文太难了。
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 发送电子邮件 Blog(博客)
angel[凯伦]
angel作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2005-11-03
帖子: 283

帖子发表于: 星期日 十一月 12, 2006 12:31 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

But as everybody knows, it is also difficult to start everything.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> 教育探索 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.