作者 留言
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 九月 26, 2006 8:32 pm    发表主题: Review on book "The River's Stone Roots," 引用并回复

(A few months ago, I was asked to review James' new poetry book. Now I post it)

The River's Stone Roots, By James Deahl

Reviewed by Anna Yin

I first heard of James Deahl, through John.B.Lee, who mentioned to me the book, River's Stone Roots, James Deahl's recent translation of ancient Chinese poet, Tu fu.

I wondered how he translated these poems without knowing Chinese. Opening its pages, I soon found out.

As I write poems in both English and Chinese, I am no stranger to the challenges faced in this type of translation. It is difficult indeed to recapture the true effect of the original. It was a pleasant surprise to find James Deahl's surprising demonstration of a great talent in the face of this difficult task.

I was immediately attracted to the book for its economy with words and concise style. I could feel its haunting sorrow and precision of meaning carry me back through time to the ancient original.

Tu fu is recognized as the greatest of China's poets. His works address all there is to be found in human experience, from the intimate and concrete to the political and abstract.

I first read Tu fu's poems at a very young age. Most of his poems depict a bitter side of life and grief through loss. This ancient poet gained a unique perspective on the human condition through direct personal experience of war and hardship. This served to forge the emotional and spiritual nature of his work, which successfully unveils the conflicts between humanity and the harsh realities of this world. Compared with his contemporaries, Tu fu better understood the anguish of tragedy and showed greater sympathy and concern for the individual.

Like Tu Fu's poems, James Deahl's translation spoke to me of the same deep understanding of and insight into the great events, wars, the cycle of nature, life, humanity, friendship and more besides. His rendering in English achieves a poetic flow that retains the true beauty of Chinese traditional poetry. Words are skillfully chosen to represent bittersweet feelings and hopes. I can find the full sense of both black despair and exquisite beauty that were there in the original classic.

Tu fu's poems show us an unforgettable look into his life and his times, James Deahl's translation preserves them for our world and our times.

I am grateful for what James has done for it enriches our lives and our world.
ljm001作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2006-01-15
帖子: 152
来自: 大连

帖子发表于: 星期六 九月 30, 2006 1:53 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

A well written review.

Something for considerations.

Du Fu (or Tu Fu)

like Li Bai (or Li Po)

a current trend to introduce well known Chinese people better known before in a different phonetic marking system other than the new Chinese Phonetic Alphabet system.

Putonghua is prevailing now if not yet overwhelming and it is helpful for our international friends to have a knowledge about the sound marking system of Putonghua, ie. the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet.
anna[星子安娜]
anna作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-02
帖子: 7141

帖子发表于: 星期二 一月 16, 2007 7:44 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks Ljm.

I am glad you shared your concern.

This was done 7 months agao, let me rethink...

Anna Yin

《爱的灯塔-星子安娜双语诗选》
<Nightlights> <Seven Nights with the Chinese Zodiac> ...

http://annapoetry.com
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
戴玨[Edgar]
戴玨作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2006-12-26
帖子: 213

帖子发表于: 星期四 一月 18, 2007 1:56 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

響應您的號召,說兩句。
杜詩特別難譯,很多地方語帶雙關,涉及到用典的地方更加難處理,這是很多漢學家都同意的。外國人的翻譯最大的缺點是對原詩理解不夠深入,以致只能翻出原詩部分含意,在另一帖子裡我就"月夜憶舍弟"一詩做了些說明。
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 浏览发表者的主页
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期四 一月 18, 2007 9:28 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

谢谢戴玨老师.

说得很在理....

我对翻译多是自译...写的也多是自由体....因为作者把书寄给我,让我写述评,所以写了这个...

贴出来,也是希望多多交流.

以后请多多指教.
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期一 一月 29, 2007 11:32 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

谢谢博学的指正....

I first heard of James Deahl, through John.B.Lee, who mentioned to me the book, River's Stone Roots, James Deahl's recent translation of the ancient Chinese poet, Du Fu (also known as Tu Fu).

I wondered how he translated these poems without knowing Chinese language. Opening its cover, I soon found out.

As I write poems in Chinese and English as well, I am no stranger to the challenges faced in this type of translation. It is indeed difficult to recapture the genuine effect of the original. Yet, It’s a pleasant surprise to find James Deahl's amazing demonstration of a great talent on top of this difficult task.

I was immediately attracted to the book for its aesthetics in words and concise style. I could feel the haunting sorrow in poems for example, and the precision of meaning took me back--through time-- to the ancient original.

Du Fu is recognized as one of the greatest poets ever in China. His works address all there was to be found in human experiences in his times, from the intimate and concrete to the political and abstract, which we all can relate to.

I first read Du Fu’s poems at a very young age. Most of his poems depict a bitter side of life and grief through loss. This ancient poet gained a unique perspective on humanity through direct personal engagements with wars and hardships. This served to forge the emotional and spiritual nature of his work, which successfully unveiled the conflicts between humanity and the harsh realities of the mundane world. Compared with his contemporaries, Du Fu understood more the anguish of tragedies and showed greater sympathy and concern for the individual.

Like Du Fu’s poems, James Deahl's translation spoke to me with the same deep understanding of, and keen insights into the great events, wars, the cyclic of nature, life, humanity, friendship and more. His rendering in English achieves a poetic flow that retains the true beauty of Chinese traditional poetry. Words are skillfully chosen to represent bittersweet feelings and hopes. I can find the full sense of both black despair and exquisite beauty that were there in the original classics.

Du Fu’s poems show us an unforgettable look into his life and his times. The translation by James Deahl on the other hand, preserves these poems for our world and our times, so that Du Fu gets to meet readers in a different language—English, centuries later.

I am grateful for what James has done for it enriches our lives and our world.
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.