ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期二 一月 15, 2008 6:12 pm    发表主题: Life Writing in English as a Migratory Process 引用并回复

Reading, Writing, and Life on the Page

Life Writing in English as a Migratory Process

Since my emigration to Canada five years ago, I have both wrestled and been despaired with learning English, and I eventually came to a conclusion two years ago: I, a non-English speaking person aged over forty, had no way of mastering two languages at the same time; therefore, I needed to break with my Chinese self and to re-build a new English self in order to achieve my goal -- becoming a writer.

Generally speaking, writing is hard; writing in a foreign language is harder than I ever thought it would be. It is always an ongoing struggle to bridge the gap between what I think, what I'm going to write, and what I'm able to write. Writing, sometimes, seems to me as displaced on the broken line between the promised and lost way of thinking. Worse, the awareness of and concern about my intended readers may distract me from expressing my own thoughts. Writing is, as it has always been, a toiling act of expressing myself.

During the past two years, I have done nothing important to achieve my goal except so-called “life writing,” which helps keep my mind calm and focused. One thing I've learned from the writing process in my adopted language is to focus my mind and fully experience the moment of being-in-the-process-of-some-kind; over time, writing becomes a kind of concentration meditation.

However, rendering the events of one’s life in a conscious manner cannot create literary works. Virginia Woolf did not reproduce her life in a written form as it was in Moments of Being, but as she remembered it. The life which one lives is limited, but the life as one remembers it is infinite, boundless, unlimited, because the recaptured moment is only a key to everything that has happened before it and after it. The day unravels what the night was woven. When we awake each morning, we hold in our hands, usually weakly and loosely, but a few fringes of the tapestry of lived life, as loomed for us by remembering.

Two years have passed in my short life, swiftly and silently. One big question left unanswered is: what have I actually created? All I do is take those little details of my life that are lacking and add a little of something else; I take event A that occurred during time B at place C to person D, or maybe myself, and rewrite it in time E at place F to person G, or possibly myself. Then I add a bit of H or remove a part of K -- did I forget I and J? Oh, I am saving them so that myself or the reader like you will have the space to exercise his/her imagination.

For me, life writing is like a migratory process of moving out, coming in, going back, moving on, and staying put over the spacio-tempo territory of my encounters with the inner self, significant others, and life events; these encounters might be relevant to me at the time of my writing and eventually could be nothing important in retrospect.

Nonetheless, life writing in English is the key to help chart my journey of immigration. After having practised English writing for two year, with no slightest doubt in my mind, I will continue my English writing; after all, it seems to be one of the possible ways, sometimes even the only way, to work through my inner turmoil caused by my displaced experiences, and to reach out to the bigger society around me. Maybe the end of my writing will arrive where I started, and I will know what life writing in English means to me for the first time. Now, for me,

To write is to grow the words inside your heart,
To reap the sentences matured by the muse of desire.
To write is to take your clothes off with words,
To expose yourself in the rhythm of the stanzas.
To write in English is to cross borders of the words,
To emigrate from the ideographic to the alphabetic.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期二 六月 17, 2008 4:31 pm, 总计第 6 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 一月 15, 2008 7:02 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

However, rendering the events of one’s life in a conscious manner cannot create literary works.

Agree. Literary is deep from the soul and the heart. It arouses as plearsure of writing. It summons the passion.
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 一月 15, 2008 7:04 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

The life which one lives is limited, but the life as one remembers it is infinite, boundless, unlimited, because the recaptured moment is only a key to everything that has happened before it and after it.

I prefer to reading short sentence. Some long and complex lines distract me.

Two years have passed in my short life, quietly and yet reluctantly.

(I guess if you give the number here for your short life, more impact)

I am reading "Some Instructions on writing and life" by Anne Lamott. I like it. You may take a look.
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期二 一月 15, 2008 9:50 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

星子 写到:

It summons the passion.

I concur with you whole heartedly .

"I started out with nothing in the world but a kind of passion, a driving desire. I don't know where it came from, and I do not know why-or why I have been so stubborn about it that nothing could deflect me. But this thing between me and my writing is the strongest bond I have ever had-stronger than any bond or any engagement with any human being or with any other work I've ever done." -- Katherine Anne Porter

星子 写到:

I am reading "Some Instructions on writing and life" by Anne Lamott. I like it. You may take a look.

Thanks for this helpful information regarding Anne Lamott's book.
fanfan[FAFAFA]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期三 一月 16, 2008 9:37 am    发表主题: Re: Life Writing in English as a Migratory Process 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Life Writing in English as a Migratory Process

rendering the events of one’s life in a conscious manner cannot create literary works. Virginia Woolf did not reproduce her life in a written form as it was in Moments of Being, but as she remembered it. The life which one lives is limited, but the life as one remembers it is infinite, boundless, unlimited, because the recaptured moment is only a key to everything that has happened before it and after it. The day unravels what the night was woven. When we awake each morning, we hold in our hands, usually weakly and loosely, but a few fringes of the tapestry of lived life, as loomed for us by remembering.

To write is to grow the words inside your heart,
To reap the words matured by the muse of desire.
To write is to take your clothes off with words,
To expose yourself in the rhythm of the words.

For me, life-writing means that memory and writing weave life into narrative. Two of my favourite books on this subject are Life Studies and Day by Day written by Robert Lowell. In these two books, his creative use of his memory becomes the poetic process by which Lowell is able to create the retrospective truth of his life.

最后进行编辑的是 fanfan on 星期三 一月 16, 2008 8:44 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 一月 16, 2008 8:39 pm    发表主题: Re: Life Writing in English as a Migratory Process 引用并回复

fanfan 写到:

For me, life-writing means that memory and writing weave life into narrative.

Yes, memory and narrative constitute the weave of life-writing.

I read Life Studies few years ago. It is useful in examining the operation of memory.

Answering questions by Frederick Seidel, Lowell suggests that the process of writing is akin to the reconstruction of memory, and he points out the fictional elements of his poems as follows:

"There’s a good deal of tinkering with fact. You leave out a lot, and emphasize this and not that. Your actual experience is a complete flux. I’ve invented facts and changed things, and the whole balance of the poem was something invented. So there’s a lot of artistry, I hope, in the poems. Yet there’s this thing: if a poem is autobiographical---and this is true of any kind of autobiographical writing and of historical writing---you want the reader to say, ‘this is true.’ "
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期四 一月 17, 2008 9:31 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

星子 写到:

I checked it out from my local library and have read it.

I like Lamott’s conversational and humorous writing style.

In my view, the explanation of the book title -- Bird by Bird -- is the core of her key ideas about writing and life, and she takes her own advice and breaks her book into five separate parts which each tackle a different aspect of the writing process.

Among her instructions on writing and life, the most valuable one to me is that:

"For me and most of the other writers I know, writing is not rapturous. In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts.

The first draft is the child's draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later. You just let this childlike part of you channel whatever voices and visions come through and onto the page.

Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere. Start by getting something -- anything -- down on paper. A friend of mine says that the first draft is the down draft -- you just get it down. The second draft is the up draft -- you fix it up. You try to say what you have to say more accurately. And the third draft is the dental draft, where you check every tooth, to see if it's loose or cramped or decayed, or even, God help us, healthy."

Yes, we need to start by getting something down on paper, and don’t be paralyzed by our imaginative “perfectionism.”
maybe[maybe]
maybe作品集

九品县令
(一不小心,做了官儿了。)
九品县令<BR>(一不小心,做了官儿了。)

注册时间: 2008-01-03
帖子: 16

帖子发表于: 星期五 一月 18, 2008 1:32 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

good.
should have more people like you, embark on such journey,
i presume you are a writer, wish to read your works in the future.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 一月 19, 2008 12:06 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for reading my piece.

To write in this language is to be alone,
to live on the margin where
loneliness ripens into solitude.

-- Ha Jin, A Free Life
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 一月 19, 2008 8:19 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Dare to Write *

"Trust the writing,” you said
"Trust the writing? But, how?" I thought
"Trust the writing itself," you emphasized
As if 'itself' clarified the matter
I trusted you
And started to write
In the middle of a life in transition
At the margin of a racialized identity
In between two linguistic realities
"Trust the writing,” I confirmed

Note:

This poem is dedicated to my friend, Mary, who has persistently challenged and encouraged me to writing in English for the past two years.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.