作者 留言
Wenxin[许文辛]
Wenxin作品集

九品县令
(一不小心,做了官儿了。)
九品县令<BR>(一不小心,做了官儿了。)

注册时间: 2004-05-29
帖子: 10

帖子发表于: 星期二 二月 15, 2005 9:33 pm    发表主题: Fighting to destroy teenage stereotypes 引用并回复

Fighting to destroy teenage stereotypes

Surely, I did not deserve that. The nice-looking old lady, bending beneath the weight of her shopping bags, glares at me, muttering as she walks past, struggling along the sidewalk on her way home.
If she had said something, it might well have been along the lines of "Go away, leave me alone." Shifting her burdens, she places one hand defensively upon her purse.

Ouch. For a moment, I was completely taken aback. I was not insulted, but did feel a bit humiliated. After all, my offence was well intentioned, if admittedly a bit pathetic. I had offered to help carry her groceries.

RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN
I am told that, as I grow older, I am learning to be a responsible citizen. That means, I suppose, that I was born irresponsible.

I can study the political system, examine the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and rattle off Canada's steps to autonomy, but can I be made to memorize altruism? Being teenaged does not make me antisocial. If I were to not participate in my community now, I would be no more likely to do so 30 years later.

And, despite what the media seems to claim, 15-year-olds can steal just as well when they are 51.

My civics textbook tells me that I am protected, by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, against "discrimination on the grounds of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, gender, mental disability"... and age.

Am I really?

At least one person had instantly branded me as a "teen" - therefore an immoral delinquent. Nor is it the woman's fault. Perhaps she saw underage smokers loitering in an alley, or troupes of students skipping school to go to the mall. Maybe she watched one too many news reports depicting young offenders, I don't know.

The fact remains, however, that I am a member of a group in our society that endures, between classes and homework, eight- to 10-hour "workdays", rarely earns above the minimum wage, cannot vote, and is frowned upon by police officers and politicians alike. How's that for prejudice?

I am not, of course, calling for shorter school hours, a lowering of the voting age, or a revision of the Young Offenders Act. Nor do I think that teens would really benefit from an increase in the minimum wage.

JUVENILE GANGSTER
I do, however, wish to be rid of the stereotype that seems to turn every graffiti artist, panhandler and juvenile gangster into my personal representative.

That makes about as much sense as making Napoleon Bonaparte the personal representative of everyone born on Aug. 15.

So, high-minded teens everywhere, reach out today and help someone. Show that we are the citizens of the future; shovel a driveway, volunteer at a library, or just smile more often. We have, after all, a stereotype to destroy and a reputation to build. Our work is cut out for us.

("North York Mirror" Feb. 21, 2003 )
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
Catherine[如意]
Catherine作品集

七品按察司
(我开始管这里的事儿了)
七品按察司<BR>(我开始管这里的事儿了)

注册时间: 2004-08-24
帖子: 93
来自: GTA

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 16, 2005 9:55 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

15-year-olds can 写文章,文笔之好,文风之利 just as well when they are 51.
晓鸣老师,贵公子要是拿回来文学大奖,俺反正是不吃惊的。青出于蓝而胜于蓝。
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 发送电子邮件 Blog(博客)
晓鸣[自己的敌人]
晓鸣作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-05
帖子: 9474
来自: 加拿大多伦多

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 17, 2005 8:58 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Catherine 写到:
15-year-olds can 写文章,文笔之好,文风之利 just as well when they are 51.
晓鸣老师,贵公子要是拿回来文学大奖,俺反正是不吃惊的。青出于蓝而胜于蓝。

谢谢你的夸奖. 他还年轻.我见过很多小时早慧, 长大后不怎么样的人. 他还得努力.
返回页首
何兆龙[南音]
何兆龙作品集

三品按察使
(天,你是斑竹吧?)
三品按察使<BR>(天,你是斑竹吧?)

注册时间: 2004-12-23
帖子: 961
来自: TORONTO

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 17, 2005 10:50 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

原来是许公子的作品啊,我还以为是哪位专栏作家的大作呢!后生可畏!
桐花万里丹山路,雏凤清于老凤声。
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 发送电子邮件 浏览发表者的主页
晓鸣[自己的敌人]
晓鸣作品集

Site Admin

注册时间: 2004-05-05
帖子: 9474
来自: 加拿大多伦多

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 17, 2005 12:53 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

何兆龙 写到:
原来是许公子的作品啊,我还以为是哪位专栏作家的大作呢!后生可畏!
桐花万里丹山路,雏凤清于老凤声。

他2002-2003年给North York Mirror签了一年的合同, 做了一年Teen Beat专栏的专栏作家, 在上面发表了16篇(或更多一些)东西. 算是打工挣了一点钱. 有时也能收到一些报纸转来的读者来信. 我听说有的学校(如Cummer Valley MS)的gifted英语课的作业曾把他的一些文章作为对象, 让大家写批判文章.

还是老话, 早慧不算什么, 努力是一辈子的事.
返回页首
小赵东方[青文景武剑]
小赵东方作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2004-06-04
帖子: 171
来自: mississauga

帖子发表于: 星期五 三月 11, 2005 6:01 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

邓、辛、张、陶
不积小流,无以成江海。
骐骥一跃,不能十步。
驽马十驾,功在不舍。
锲而舍之,朽木不折。
锲而不舍,金石可镂。
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 发送电子邮件 浏览发表者的主页 MSN Messenger
游客[FAFAFA]
游客作品集

帖子发表于: 星期三 五月 04, 2005 3:52 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

晓鸣 I definitely gotta agree with you.
返回页首
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> 教育探索 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.