Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

S e x, Love, and Something in Between (pub. in Inscribed)

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 十二月 22, 2008 7:33 pm    发表主题: S e x, Love, and Something in Between (pub. in Inscribed) 引用并回复

(S e x, Love, and Something in Between, has been published in the April issue of Inscribed: A Magazine For Writers, a literary magazine with digital editions and recipient of Excellent 2008 of The Canadian Web Awards.

I’m extremely happy that my poem appears in a quality literary magazine whose target readers are writers of all sorts and its art design is visually impressive:

Below is the first poem sequence I wrote for my writing project entitled Sketches from the Floating World, a series of short poem sequences. Written to be my New Year's resolution, these poems are mainly reflections on Reading and Writing: Life on the Page, which was my 2008 writing project, and the poetic portrayals of slices of reality as perceived by me or represented by the media.

Sketches from the Floating World

S e x, Love, and Something in Between, Part I

I

Lust --
he sips on
a bottle of hot milk.

Hurt --
she spits out
black watermelon seeds.

II

Reading The Kamasutra
she is alone --
rain on the blossoms.

Engaging business partners
he is busy --
pants around the ankles.

III

Career woman,
devoted wife --
short day into lone night.

Struggling writer
staying at home --
day and night are the same.

to be continued ...

I’m honored to receive a short poem sequence by my poet friend, Rodney L. Eisenbrandt, in response to my own sequence,S e x, Love, and Something in Between, Part I:

I

Adoring
capsules
of blue

II

Sheath
loves
shield

III

Last night’s
decadence
morning pill

Notes:

1 The Kamasutra is the oldest surviving book concerning erotic love. It is a book not only about the various sexual positions available to lovers and the pleasures derived from each, but also about the art of living --finding a spouse, maintaining a balanced power relationship in a marriage, committing adultery, and living as or with a courtesan.

2 The Chinese word “writer” is pronounced in Mandarin the same as the Chinese phrase, “staying at home.” It was not until maybe ten years ago in Taiwan that when someone declared he wanted to be a writer, the people around him would respect his decision and understand that he would do his best to convey through his writing the true voice of the people he represented and cared about. Nowadays, when someone says he wants to be a writer, the people around him immediately take from his decision that he just wants to stay at home, doing next to nothing in terms of monetary earning.[/img]

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期二 四月 07, 2009 9:10 am, 总计第 15 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期二 十二月 23, 2008 10:06 am    发表主题: Re: S e x, Love, and Something in between(short poem sequenc 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Sketches from [b]the Floating World[/b]

Chinese idiom?

ericcoliu 写到:

III

Career woman,
devoted wife –
short day into lone night.

Struggling writer
staying at home
--
day and night are the same.

I like III the most, especially the interplay among words and sounds. The contrasting feelings and themes are well explored in the poem.
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期二 十二月 23, 2008 10:08 am    发表主题: Re: S e x, Love, and Something in between(short poem sequenc 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

2 The Chinese word, “writer,” pronounces as same as the Chinese phrase, “staying at home.” It was not until maybe ten years ago in Taiwan, when someone declared that he wanted to be a writer, the people around him would respect his decision and understand that he would do his best to convey through writing the true voice of the people he represented or cared about. Nowadays, when someone says he wants to be a writer, the people around him immediately take their cue from his decision that he wants to stay at home, doing next to nothing in terms of monetary earning.

Only in Mandarin. Is poem III the portrayal of your writing life?
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 十二月 24, 2008 3:59 pm    发表主题: Re: S e x, Love, and Something in between(short poem sequenc 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

I like III the most, especially the interplay among words and sounds. The contrasting feelings and themes are well explored in the poem.

Thanks for your discerning eye for my piece.

dundas 写到:

Only in Mandarin.

Yes, you're right. I've revised my note accordingly.

ericcoliu 写到:

It was not until maybe ten years ago in Taiwan that when someone declared he wanted to be a writer, the people around him would respect his decision and understand that he would do his best to convey through his writing the true voice of the people he represented and cared about.

dundas 写到:

Is poem III the portrayal of your writing life?

Yes/No!

That’s one of reasons why I am not only a struggling writer, but also a fatigued writer who incessantly cries out in his dreams, “I write to convey the true voice of the people I represent and care about.”
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期六 十二月 27, 2008 2:01 pm    发表主题: Re: S e x, Love, and Something in between(short poem sequenc 引用并回复

dundas 写到:

ericcoliu 写到:

Chinese idiom?

Yes, I think so. It's a Buddhism-imbused title.

ericcoliu 写到:

S e x, Love, and Something in Between, Part I

I

Love and lust –
he sips on
a bottle of milk.

Hate and hurt –
she spits out
black watermelon seeds.

These lines are infused with sensual, contrasting l images.

a bottle of milk.

might be

a bottle of hot milk.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 十二月 28, 2008 6:30 pm    发表主题: Re: S e x, Love, and Something in between(short poem sequenc 引用并回复

christine 写到:

a bottle of milk.

might be

a bottle of hot milk.

Yes, a good suggestion. I've revised my poem.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 十二月 31, 2008 3:09 pm    发表主题: Re: S e x, Love, and Something in between(short poem sequenc 引用并回复

christine 写到:

dundas 写到:

ericcoliu 写到:

Chinese idiom?

Yes, I think so. It's a Buddhism-imbused title.

Partially correct.

The floating world is the English translation of the Japanese term Ukiyo, which describes the urban life style, especially the pleasure-seeking aspects, of Edo Period Japan (1600–1867).

Below is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry entitled Ukiyo:

“This view of the Floating World is centered on Yoshiwara, the licensed red-light district of Edo (modern Tokyo). The area's brothels, teahouses and kabuki theaters were frequented by Japan's growing middle class. This particular Floating World culture also arose in other cities such as Osaka and Kyoto.

It is also an ironic allusion to the homophone "Sorrowful World" (憂き世), the earthly plane of death and rebirth from which Buddhists sought release.”
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 一月 02, 2009 8:20 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

I’m honored to receive a short poem sequence by my poet friend, Rodney L. Eisenbrandt, in response to my own sequence, S e x, Love, and Something in Between, Part I:

I

Adoring
capsules
of blue

II

Sheath
loves
shield

III

Last night’s
decadence
morning pill
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 四月 03, 2009 11:09 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

S e x, Love, and Something in Between, has been published in the April issue of Inscribed: A Magazine For Writers, a literary magazine with digital editions.

I’m extremely happy that my poem appears in a quality literary magazine whose target audience are writers and its art design is visually impressive.
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期六 四月 04, 2009 10:17 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

I’m extremely happy that my poem appears in a quality literary magazine whose target audience are writers and its art design is visually impressive.

Yes, I concur!

III is added to the original version. It's emotive and evocative.
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 四月 05, 2009 2:23 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks for the read.

Adopting the principles of shasei (“sketches from life”), makoto (“truthfulness”), and everyday language that Masaoka Shiki had advocated, I try to capture one emotionally charged element situated in the physical locale through evocative images.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.