星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期六 八月 21, 2004 10:35 pm    发表主题: When I'm 65 (ZT)from IT news 引用并回复

The Ontario government is considering scrapping the minimum retirement age. Technology professionals may be able to hang around into their 70s, but do they want to?

-----

When I'm 65

8/19/2004 5:00:00 PM - The Ontario government is considering scrapping the minimum retirement age. Technology professionals may be able to hang around into their 70s, but do they want to?

by Shane Schick

IT professionals say the Ontario government's proposal to scrap the mandatory retirement age of 65 may give them more options, but it's unlikely to make their careers any longer.

Ontario Labour Minister Chris Bentley released a discussion paper which outlines why the province wants to end
mandatory retirement and announced a series of public consultations on the subject to take place in select cities over the course of next month. Under the Ontario Humans Rights Code, employers are prohibited from discriminating on the basis of age, but for the purposes of employment, "age" is defined as being 18 years or older but less than 65. Companies can therefore force workers to leave their jobs after 65.

According to Minto Roy, vice-president of Canadian operations at career management firm Bernard Haldane Associates, the proposal comes at a time when many IT professions are reconsidering their retirement plans in the wake of corporate downsizing, offshore outsourcing and spending cuts.

"You have professionals out there that are not working, that are underemployed, that would have never dreamed five or six years ago during the boom that they would be unemployed," he said. "You've got a lot of market crunch happening."

According to Statistics Canada's most recent labour force survey, only 4.5 per cent of Canadian IT workers are more than 55 years old. That's a very minor increase over 2000, when the same group made up 3.7 per cent. The largest proportion falls in the 25-34 demographic, at 35.9 per cent.

Julie McMullin, a professor in the sociology department at the University of Western Ontario, is working on a research project that will examine attitudes towards age in the IT sector. She said there may be good reasons why there aren't many senior citizens in the data centre.

"We found that without exception the IT sector is extremely young, younger than the labour force as a whole," she said. "It seems to me that there are barriers in place for people to continue working in IT as they age."

One of the big issues is how the IT sector imposes tight deadlines for contracts and the extreme penalties employees suffer for not meeting them, McMullin said. "They make it so that you have to at some point in the course of year work very long hours in a day, which of course isn't conducive to other issues such as parenting," she said.

Several technology professionals said they had no intention of retiring any later than they have to.

"Well, I hope I'm not going to be working at 65," laughed Ian Montgomery, IT manager at IBT Fund Services in Toronto. "I think it's good that people have the right to choose to work longer if they want to, but it's really something that has to be decided on an individual level."

Andrew Schaper, a 40-year-old director of telecom at York Region, Ont., said the subject of retirement doesn't come up much among his colleagues.

"It's not something I'm considering a lot. I mean, who knows what the long-term future holds?" he said. "It's something that's kind of far out there."

Torin Rumball, IT manager at WH Stuart Mutuals Ltd., in Unionville, Ont., agreed. "I'm only 30. I feel like I'm just getting started," he said.

Roy maintained that there are a lot more older people who thought they were going to be able to retire but who now can't, thanks to some of the financial upheaval the industry has experienced. .

"They used to also have a portfolio -- let's say you worked at Nortel, and had a portfolio worth half a million in Nortel stock," he said. "Their thought process five years ago was, make another $100,000 for the next three or four years, their stock will go to $750,000, cash out, buy the cottage and they were done."

Now those stocks are worth $42,000, but their bills haven't changed, Roy added. "They realize now they're going to have to work until 75."

McMullin said she doubted the end of mandatory retirement would have much impact on most IT workers.

"There's absolutely no question in my mind that if people want to work past the age of 65 that they should be allowed to do so," she said. "But as far as the IT sector is concerned, our evidence is that people are leaving long before."

Montgomery said a certain degree of turnover is healthy in any industry, but particularly in IT.

"Sometimes you really need those fresh faces coming in," he said, "because that's where the new ideas come from."
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客) 浏览发表者的主页
黎阳[王者之风]
黎阳作品集

三品按察使
(天,你是斑竹吧?)
三品按察使<BR>(天,你是斑竹吧?)

注册时间: 2004-07-12
帖子: 547
来自: 中国天津

帖子发表于: 星期一 八月 23, 2004 3:29 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

请发 中文
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 发送电子邮件 Blog(博客) 浏览发表者的主页 MSN Messenger
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 八月 24, 2004 9:02 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

正在筹建英文板块,以后纯英文会移到英文板块里。。。
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客) 浏览发表者的主页
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> 人在旅途 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.