星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 12:37 pm    发表主题: Could you wait? (Speech 9th) 引用并回复

Once the greatest thinker Plato asked his teacher, Socrates, what is Love, and what is marriage.

His teacher Socrates asked him to go to the wheat field and pick up the best wheat stalk. But he was allowed to pick up only once and go straight, never turn back to pick.

One hour late, Plato came back with empty hands. He told his teacher, “Teacher, I have seen a lot of very good wheat, but because I am allowed to pick just one, I passed through the front hoping to see better ones. I waited and waited for my next chance. But I found the latter ones were not as good as the previous ones, so I didn’t pick any and found myself at the end of the field. Then I realized I lost my chance.”

His teacher Socrates smiled and said:” This is love”.

Then Plato asked, “What is marriage?”

Socrates asked him to go to the forest and bring back the best tree.

This time Plato brought one back that was not very good but not so bad.

His teacher told him this is marriage. Because of the lessons of love, he didn’t want to lose the chance and didn’t wait to the very end of the forest before choosing a tree.

Mr. Toastmaster, fellow toastmasters and welcomed guests.

In this world, how many people are still waiting for their Mr. Right or Ms. Right?
How many people are waiting for the next time to improve their health? How many people are waiting for another chance to solve the relationship problem? How many of us here are waiting, Waiting for various reasons?

Wait, wait, but could you wait?

My best friend waited and waited and now she is still single. On the opposite side of the coin, some people didn’t wait, but today their marriage is over. Here I don’t want to debate which way is better. But I slightly agree with a comedian I once heard. He suggested it is better to get married when you are young, since you still have plenty time to correct your mistake.

Do you agree? Just ask yourself could you wait? Wait for the right person, wait for the right time, and wait for the next chance?

Here, I must say, wake up! Wait is a waste. Wait is a loss.

Two years ago, when I started to write English poems. I was pelted with a lot of tomatoes.

People laughed at me since I could not even write correct sentences. How dare I write poems? But I had such strong feelings and passion for poetry. I had such desire to express myself in the way only poetry could provide me. I didn’t wait for my English to get better; instead I thought this was the way to learn and to grow.
So I mashed all the tomatoes in my poems and wrote a lot of different poems regarding the freedom of being myself and presenting my dreams.

It took time and great efforts to get better and better. With a lot of support and help from my friends, 30 of my poems have been published and my poetry books are published too.

This coming weekend I will be presented with 2005 Ted Plantos Memorial Award by the Ontario Poets Society.

Now I ask myself, If I waited? What would have happened?

I certainly would not be here to give my 9th speech, and I imagine, I would still be waiting and waiting for my English to be more proper…

So my friends, waiting is merely an excuse. Stop waiting, find the courage.
Please don’t tell me you need to learn to walk, and then begin to run. If some one has the desire to run, allow him. Everyone is different. What matters are the trying and the passion.

My friends, when you really want to do something, please ask yourself, could I wait?
Never give up because you think you are not ready yet. Because you will never be ready, take your action. The good lessons always come from the participation.

One day we all will die. But before we die, will you regret that you have waited and wasted the whole life. before it is too late, I ask you now, Could you wait? Could you wait?

最后进行编辑的是 星子 on 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 10:38 pm, 总计第 2 次编辑
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客) 浏览发表者的主页
叶雨[FFFFFF]
叶雨作品集

二品总督总管
(回首人生,前途在望)
二品总督总管<BR>(回首人生,前途在望)

注册时间: 2004-06-01
帖子: 3287

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 1:10 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

开头就牢牢抓住理。声势夺人。然后用大家喜欢的话题:找对象来继续抓住听众兴趣。随后用自己作为例子,来说明Don't wait。

演讲的力量在于底气。这篇很有侧重:Don't Wait。

虽然理论上,这是个片面观点,但是在几分钟的时间内要让听众震撼的觉醒,我们不能面面俱到的。所以,这篇演讲有重点,有说服力。

个人认为,最后一段的总结究竟是不是 Leadership 呢?还是应该回到标题,don't wait for taking actions, don't waste your life in waiting.

我会说:
(仅供参考)
Some day before I die, I can't tell how many things I have done are right and how many of them are wrong, but I know one thing for sure, I will have less regrets than people who spent most of their life for waiting.
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客)
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 10:38 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

agree. changed the last few lines.
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.