Coviews 酷我-北美枫

酷我-北美枫主页||酷我博客

常见问题与解答 (FAQ)常见问题与解答 (FAQ)   搜索搜索   成员列表成员列表   成员组成员组   注册注册 
 个人资料个人资料   登陆查看您的私人留言登陆查看您的私人留言   登陆登陆 
Blogs(博客)Blogs(博客)   
Coviews BBS

We are Virginia Tech (Convocation Poem by Nikki Giovanni)

发表新帖   回复帖子    酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden
阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题  
作者 留言
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期一 二月 16, 2009 3:16 pm    发表主题: We are Virginia Tech (Convocation Poem by Nikki Giovanni) 引用并回复

We are Virginia Tech (Convocation Poem by Nikki Giovanni)

The following is a convocation poem entitled We are Virginia Tech, which was delivered by Nikki Giovanni on April 17, 2007 (Via Transcript of Nikki Giovanni's Convocation address):

We are Virginia Tech.

We are sad today, and we will be sad for quite a while. We are not moving on, we are embracing our mourning.

We are Virginia Tech.

We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly, we are brave enough to bend to cry, and we are sad enough to know that we must laugh again.

We are Virginia Tech.

We do not understand this tragedy. We know we did nothing to deserve it, but neither does a child in Africa dying of AIDS, neither do the invisible children walking the night away to avoid being captured by the rogue army, neither does the baby elephant watching his community being devastated for ivory, neither does the Mexican child looking for fresh water, neither does the Appalachian infant killed in the middle of the night in his crib in the home his father built with his own hands being run over by a boulder because the land was destabilized. No one deserves a tragedy.

We are Virginia Tech.

The Hokie Nation embraces our own and reaches out with open heart and hands to those who offer their hearts and minds. We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid. We are better than we think and not quite what we want to be. We are alive to the imaginations and the possibilities. We will continue to invent the future through our blood and tears and through all our sadness.

We are the Hokies.

We will prevail.

We will prevail.

We will prevail.

We are Virginia Tech.

Watch Nikki Giovanni Recite her poem at the Virginia Tech Memorial Convocation

Notes:

1 Nikki Giovanni is an award-winning American poet and activist, and she is currently a Distinguished Professor of English at Virginia Tech. She once taught the Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho in a poetry class and was offended by his “mean” behavior. On April 17, 2007, at the Virginia Tech Convocation commemorating the April 16 Virginia Tech massacre, she closed the ceremony with her poem, We are Virginia Tech.

After she finished reading her poem, the auditorium rose to its feet to applaud her, to applaud Virginia Tech, and the room was filled with "Let's Go, Hokies."

At that moment, a poet's words really opened the minds, bound the wounds and soothed the hearts.

As a lung cancer survivor, Giovanni’s poetry offers a guiding insight into human suffering, illness, and grief

This poem is now the closing work in her new book entitled Bicycles.

2 Virginia Tech sponsors 18 sports and competes at the NCAA Division I level. Its sports teams are called the Hokies.
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

帖子发表于: 星期二 二月 17, 2009 8:33 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Below is an excerpt from Bill Moyers’ interview with Nikki Giovanni:

BILL MOYERS: What do words do for grief? The sadness you sometimes feel, the grief you felt after Virginia Tech's massacre. What do they do?

NIKKI GIOVANNI: I guess they let us know that we're not alone. I think what words do is we acknowledge that we're human and we hurt. And so you don't have to pretend you're not hurting. Because you have a hole in your heart. Poems, I mean, go back to 9-11-01 here in the States. People were posting poems all over the internet, because they were trying to find a way to connect. To say, "This hurts, but we're not alone. Someone else is sharing this pain." And this thing that happened at Virginia Tech, it was an incredibly sad time for us. And I think that the only thing that I could do to make sense out of it was to connect these dots. And the only thing to connect the dots was going to be love. Because, no matter what else is wrong with you, good wine and good s e x will make you feel better. I don't know if I'm allowed to say that.

BILL MOYERS: You are, you most certainly are.

NIKKI GIOVANNI: Yeah. But, you know, 65 year-old women are not finished. It was great. And I just thought, you know, I've got to rethink it, and then I've got to find an object.

BILL MOYERS: But the object you chose was bicycles. Why bicycles? And what do they have to do with tragedy and drama and loss and death even?

NIKKI GIOVANNI: Well, tragedy and trauma are wheels. And they're always with us, aren't they? They're always spinning around. That's the perimeters of life, of these tragedies. They just spin around and spin around. And so what you're trying to do is bring them together. And when you bring them together you've got the bar, right? So you have a vehicle, right? Well, when I grew up, you learned to ride a bicycle by getting on a bicycle. Which means you're going to fall off. And love and life and bicycles are about trust and balance. It's about riding it and believing that this thing that doesn't make sense for you to be on, can move. And we see it here. This is such a great city, I love Manhattan. And I miss it in my dreams sometimes. But when we see the messengers on that bike, that's just trust and balance. They just say, "I'm coming at it. I don't care if the cars are going to swerve, I'm-" It's beautiful watching them on their bicycles. But we do that in our relationships. It's the same bike. We are continuing relationships through trust and balance.

最后进行编辑的是 Champagne on 星期三 二月 18, 2009 3:41 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
christine[christine]
christine作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2008-02-25
帖子: 304

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 18, 2009 9:53 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

I like the way she employed the repetition of "We are Virginia Tech," which brings emotional weight to the poem.

Champagne 写到:

BILL MOYERS: What do words do for grief? The sadness you sometimes feel, the grief you felt after Virginia Tech's massacre. What do they do?

NIKKI GIOVANNI: I guess they let us know that we're not alone. I think what words do is we acknowledge that we're human and we hurt. And so you don't have to pretend you're not hurting. Because you have a hole in your heart. Poems, I mean, go back to 9-11-01 here in the States. People were posting poems all over the internet, because they were trying to find a way to connect. To say, "This hurts, but we're not alone. Someone else is sharing this pain." And this thing that happened at Virginia Tech, it was an incredibly sad time for us. And I think that the only thing that I could do to make sense out of it was to connect these dots. And the only thing to connect the dots was going to be love. Because, no matter what else is wrong with you, good wine and good . will make you feel better. I don't know if I'm allowed to say that.

A truthfully inspiring message.
返回页首
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

帖子发表于: 星期三 二月 18, 2009 3:51 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

christine 写到:

I like the way she employed the repetition of "We are Virginia Tech," which brings emotional weight to the poem.

Yes, I concur.

The use of repetition aside, I think she skillfully employed the first person plural narrative mode to consolidate the sympathetic relationship between the reader and the people in suffering and need.
川生[川生]
川生作品集

七品按察司
(我开始管这里的事儿了)
七品按察司<BR>(我开始管这里的事儿了)

注册时间: 2008-09-18
帖子: 72

帖子发表于: 星期四 二月 19, 2009 1:43 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:

The use of repetition aside, I think she skillfully employed the first person plural narrative mode to consolidate the sympathetic relationship between the reader and the people in suffering and need.

Yes, I concur!

Champagne 写到:

We are Virginia Tech.

We do not understand this tragedy. We know we did nothing to deserve it, but neither does a child in Africa dying of AIDS, neither do the invisible children walking the night away to avoid being captured by the rogue army, neither does the baby elephant watching his community being devastated for ivory, neither does the Mexican child looking for fresh water, neither does the Appalachian infant killed in the middle of the night in his crib in the home his father built with his own hands being run over by a boulder because the land was destabilized. No one deserves a tragedy.

These lines, in my view, are the key passage of the poem.
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

帖子发表于: 星期六 二月 21, 2009 8:09 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

川生 写到:

Champagne 写到:

We are Virginia Tech.

These lines, in my view, are the key passage of the poem.

Yes, I concur! The strategic goal of these lines is to strength the bond between people in suffering. The key message behind these lines is well expressed in the concluding line: "No one deserves a tragedy."

However, I felt uneasy with the way she smashed together all the different contextual factors involved in human suffering.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.