still the shadows from his eyes and his speech
could not be cleared up.

We will never call ourselves
"the Slanted Eyes”,
nor call you or him
"the Big Nose".

We believe we all have beautiful souls
and each is an incomparable human.
We see human as whole, but not a part of body.
We love ourselves and others
as the undivided human.

note: My friend Paul wrote a love poem to protest Parti Québécois Leader André Boisclair insult Asia descents as "the Slanted Eyes".
Read his poem and the event about "the slanted eyes", I wrote this poem.
http://adultaddstrengths.com/2007/03/16/parti-quebecois-leader-andre-boisclair-refuses-to-apologize-for-slanted-eyes-asian-comments-racism-still-acceptable-in-quebec/

最后进行编辑的是 星子 on 星期二 一月 22, 2008 7:55 pm, 总计第 4 次编辑
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客) 浏览发表者的主页
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 十二月 20, 2007 11:24 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

A poetic attempt to open the mind’s eye of its addresses who is blinded by his Orientalist gaze at the “slanted eyes” of his beloved.

Wouldn’t it be better to name your poem Beyond the “Slanted Eyes” (including quotation marks)?

I think Beyond the eyes is too neutral to point out the complexity of this contested issue.
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 21, 2007 10:15 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

谢谢ERIC, for the title, I thought that, then I fear too sensitive, But after your suggestion, I see the point. Thanks.

征得PAUL的同意,我将我们的邮件公开...

Dear Anna,

I read today some of your poems, including "The Trip to Lan Hill" and "Mourning for Iris Chang". They are ethereal, poignant and moving. I am indebted to you for the uplifting experience.

I would like to ask for your opinion. First some background: In my view context determines whether stating human facts and ethnic characteristics is politically correct or not. For example, a Jewish student at a Canadian highschool once complained that her teacher is an anti-Semite not because he called her a Jew but because of the way he said it.

I take it for granted that all nationalities have to be respected. We all have equal rights to share this fragile planet earth in harmony, peace and cooperation. The differences between people fascinating and exciting and all races of the human family are beautiful.

You remember the recent words on people's looks of the Parti Quebecois leader that offended many? Although linguists say that in French "yeux brides" is not associated with the English racial slur "slant-eyed", when the scandal broke out, I reacted with a love poem protesting the insensitive and rude manners of the politician. Ironically, not only Asians have eyes with epicenthic folds. Most Caucasian children in their early years have them too. And the so called "Irish eyes" refer to a disposition to have whole or partial epicenthic folds. Personally, I am enamoured with women with slanted eyes. Both my wives had enchanting almond eyes and the first one was not Chinese or Asian.

This is the background for my poem, Yeux brides.
I am looking forward to hear your feedback and comments. Do you agree with the stand of the editor saying that the poem can be read as insulting?

Best regards,

Paul

Canada 2007: Parti Québécois leader André Boisclair unnerves
Asians by referring to them as “yeux bridés”
(slanted eyes).

Yeux Bridés

Wearing a red coat she walked on high heel shoes
On a crowded street between men with neckties
As we passed by she cast a casual glance at me
And I admired her radiant slanted eyes.

Once on a sunny afternoon in late August
I saw her again in a park under blue skies
The wind moved gently lacy cirrus clouds
And I admired her graceful slanted eyes.

My ancestors did not build the Great Wall
Nor did they belong in rank to Samurais
But when the Moon rises west of the Silk Road
I dream about the girl with comely slanted eyes.

As the years slip by and we grow old together
We walk hand in hand on fields of butterflies
Sometimes she wants to know why I love her
And I say: For your beautiful slanted eyes.

Paul Hartal
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 21, 2007 10:19 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Paul,

I tried to call you, but nobody answered the call.

So I write it back to you. I didn't feel insult in your poem about the Slanted Eyes. You praised them and loved them.

But what I concern is they are just part of a woman, if your poem could reveal her soul, then it would be more deep and meaningful.

I also discussed this with a few good friends. One Chinese male felt a little upset, since the repetition of slanted eyes bothered him and reminded him of
Chinese traditional small feet which lingered in western world as the image of Chinese woman.
He would prefer to see Chinese woman beauty in whole not just a part of her.

Another western poetess agreed with me too.

It is a lovely poem, thank you very much to ask my opinion.

I also wrote one poem, please share your comments too. Thanks.
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 21, 2007 10:20 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your response. It is a pity that I missed your call. My telephone is not cellular and I am now at my daughter's place in San Diego.
I don't have your phone number.

You honour me with your poem! It is compellingly humane, engaging and I like it. As Reiner Maria Rilke said, the only fair critic is love.

You write:

"Beyond many pairs of eyes, we see each person as a whole, but
not a part of body".

Very correct. Women in general are better in judging the whole person, or so it seems. Men perhaps tend to be more shallow and impressed
by looks.They have to study "psychology" in order to compensate for this.

And another line: "still the shadows from his eyes and his speech could not be cleared up"

Unfortunately a lot of things are irreversible and indelible. The damage endures. Instead of making irresponsible or racist comments,
politicians should recognize and praise every Canadian community for contributing their share for the development of this country. If we single out the Chinese of
Canada (and elsewhere), they are a model community in many respects and enrich this country economically, culturally, socially and in
other ways.

Regarding my own poem: I agree that it could be better if it went beyond anatomical features and expanded into the woman's soul.
A scholar in the family on the other hand made this comment: The woman is portrayed within a poetic setting of nature, with the backdrop
of the sun and the moon, day and night, the sky, the clouds and butterfly fields and these can
be interpreted as an allegory of her anima, her extended soul. I aplogize to those who felt uneasy by the verse. Almond eyes sounds much better, even cute. Repetition, however, is a time tested poetic device and I wanted to sharpen my message without losing focus.

Allow me, please, to add some additional comments in order to undertand the
whole thing better. My academic training includes specialization in history and art history. I am also a researcher of the history of medicine with
special interest in traditional Chinese Medicine. I visited China twice, and am fascinated by its 5,000 years of continuous civilization (to which we
might add 5,000 or more years of prehistory). The influence of Chinese poetry on my work can be clearly seen , for example, from "On Valentine
Day", which echoes the experience of the Sung Dynasty poet Su Dong Po, http://www.paulhartal.com/Poetry.html ( number 10).

After the death of my first wife I found solace and love in the arms of a nice lady in Kunmin, Yunnan Province. She became my second wife. For a .few weeks I lived with her family and was proud that they said I am half Chinese (unfortunately, we divorced a year ago).

In March 19, 1944, the Germans occupied Hungary, my native
country. I was then 8 years old . Since I was born into a Jewish family we were deported to Nazi concentration camps. As a victim of racial persecutions I
am very sensitive to all forms of racial or other forms of discrimination, regardless of ethnic background. Interestingly, Chinese and Jews have
many things in common. The Jewish people also are most grateful to the Chinese people, who during World War II let about 30,000 Jews escape the
Nazis by finding refuge in China. They survived the war in Shanghai (underJapanese occupation).

Best regards,

Paul
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期五 十二月 28, 2007 11:16 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

----comments from Cass

My precious new daughter in law is from a country very close
to China. I'm fairly certain any grandchildren I have someday,
will look very Asian like her and she is beautiful.
I read this and it is very well written.
All I have to say to anyone who would ever say anything
about this is that they are very shallow and small minded.
(just let anyone insult my future grandkids or their mother, and they'll have a fight on their hands for sure )

Anna, I can't speak for others. But I see nothing but
beauty in this poem and a willingness to bring peace
to the issue. It's impossible to write and not offend
someone, sometime but those who callously do it,
for the purpose of malice or to demean another individual,
their race, or whatever are only hurting the cause of peace
and showing their own ignorance. I found this poem
beautiful and written with grace, instead of anger
and the spirit behind it quite a testament to the human spirit.
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.