作者 留言
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期四 十月 11, 2007 3:08 pm    发表主题: Regaining Memory: A review of Anna Yin, Farewell to Sunflowe 引用并回复

Regaining Memory: A review of Anna Yin, Farewell to Sunflowers: Poem (English/Chinese), (second edition), http://anna.88just.com., 2007 52pp. ISBN 0-9739148-1-5)

By Terry Barker

Writing in the late 1950s, the Harvard University scholar of Chinese literature Glen W. Baxter noted that, while sometimes using traditional Chinese forms, “modern Chinese poetry” had in general “merely exchanged Chinese models for foreign ones, principally the imagists and Whitman in reverse chronological order.” Baxter went on to point out that in the fluid social and political situation of the country, “no general revitalization of …traditional (Chinese poetic) forms…appeared imminent.”

Farewell to Sunflowers, Anna Yin’s third chap-book of spiritually-sensitive verse represents, I believe, both the recovery of the “vast ocean” of Chinese poetry (as the editor of Poetry of the South calls the legacy) that has started to occur in China in the last twenty-five years, and the turn to healthier and more psychically-balanced or the overly self-inflated Whitman. For Ms Yin, an immigrant to Canada from Mainland China in1999, clearly find inspiration in the poetic tropes of her native tradition, with its combination of Taoistic mysticism and Confucian realism, and (on her own account) in the poetry of the “protesting Puritan” (as Louis Untermeyer calls her) of nineteenth-century New England, Emily Dickinson. This provides the reader with satisfying verse that is (in its English version, at least; I am not literate in Chinese) both deeply Chinese in cultural character, and modern Western in individual perspective, without being narrowly parochial in either respect.
Many examples of this happy conjunction in Farewell to Sunflowers might be cited, beginning with the first (and title) poem in the book, which opens with an expansion of the trope of the Excellent Archer of the Moon Festival who brought down nine suns that were threatening to shrivel up the world:

A million arrows are aimed at the sky
Yet the sun hasn’t been shot down.

The poet, then, “glancing back” sees that the “golden faces (of the sunflowers) are full of tears”, an observation that reveals “mourning grasses (that) burn flames in the wind”, and “duckweeds and swimming fish, those floating clouds and breezes” that “are all behind me in warm waves and lonely songs.” This meditation in turn leads the poet to the contemplative stage of the final stanza which concludes that

In turning, I lose my way
And feel the lotus core in pieces.
With arrows sifting through my hand,
I see sunset in crimson.

The poet has here, apparently, reached the psychics position of a doubting “demythologized” Excellent Archer, a type of modern mysticism holding both belief and skepticism concerning the order of being together within a trust in the “openness” of the self, a structure of consciousness most developed in New England Puritan mysticism, as Eric Voegelin has show (in his On the Form of the American Mind). Marshall Schacht, in his poem “Not to Forget Miss Dickinson”, has (perhaps a bit unkindly) formulated this cast of mind as it was crystallized in the work of the Amherst, Massachusetts, poet in the nineteenth century:

See how the sprightly squirrel mind
Resolves to the kernel love so great
The looking on it sets you blind
An instant, as if in sun or hate.

Observe the “gipsy face transfigured”
Go through the magic burning act
Of singing in a room beleaguered
Up to its sills by the gnawing fact.

New England Puritan mysticism developed as a distinct intellectual tradition, severed from its European roots, so that when its decline into a shallow pragmatism or eccentric esotericism set in during the latter part of the nineteenth century, it had no depth of experience from which to renew itself. This is, one hopes, not an inevitable outcome in the case back to the general history of the West, before the Age of Ideology States, often suffer from a very severe case of cultural amnesia in this regard). The centrality of anamnesis (recollection) in the main (mystic) stream of Western philosophy is expressed in an equivalent way for Chinese though by Ms Yin in the concluding stanza of her poem “ The trip to Lan Hill”:
Night is dark
I hear your words,
Memory is
The first sunray of dawn.

Bibliography

Baxter, Glen W. “Chinese Literature” in Encyclopedia Britannica, (1959 edition) Vol. 5, pp 569-573
Fang, Achilles “From Imagism to Whitmanism in Recent Chinese Poetry—A Search for Poetics That Failed”, in University of North Carolina Studies in Comparative Literature, No 13, Chapel Hill, N.C.: University of North Carolina Press, 1955
Schacht, Marshall “Not to Forget Miss Dickinson” in Bennet, C.L. and Pierce, Lorne (eds), Argosy to Adventure, Toronto: The Ryerson Press/ The Macmillans in Canada,
1955 p. 120
Untermeyer, Louis “Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)” in A Concise Treasury of Great Poem: English and American, From the Foundations of the English Spirit to the Outstanding Poetry of Our Own Time with Lives of the Poets and Historical Settings,
New York: Pocket Books, 1976 pp. 360-361

Voegelin, Eric On the Form of the American Mind, (The Collected Works of Eric Voegelin, Vol. 1), Gebhardt, Jurgen and Cooper Barry (eds), trans. Ruth Hein, Baton Rouge and London: Louisiana State University Press, 1995

(Terry Barker teaches Canadian Studies at Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, Toronto. He is the author of two colletions of essays on the People's Poetry tradition, After Acorn (Mekler and Deahl, Hamilton and Pittsburgh, 1999) and Beyond Bethune (Synaxis Press, Dewdney, British Columbia, 2006).
He is currently working on a sequel volumn, Continuing Chesterton.
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 十月 12, 2007 5:48 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Farewell to Sunflowers by Anna Yin

A million arrows are aimed at the sky,
yet the sun hasn’t been shot down.
Glancing back,
their golden faces are full of tears.
Mourning grasses
grow high in my eyes,
burn flames in the wind.

Those duckweeds and swimming fish,
those floating clouds and breezes,
are all behind me
in warm waves and lonely songs.

and feel the lotus core in pieces.
I see sunset in crimson.

Terry Barker 写到:

Farewell to Sunflowers, Anna Yin’s third chap-book of spiritually-sensitive verse ...

For Ms Yin, an immigrant to Canada from Mainland China in1999, clearly find inspiration in the poetic tropes of her native tradition, with its combination of Taoistic mysticism and Confucian realism, and (on her own account) in the poetry of the “protesting Puritan” (as Louis Untermeyer calls her) of nineteenth-century New England, Emily Dickinson.

Many examples of this happy conjunction in Farewell to Sunflowers might be cited, beginning with the first (and title) poem in the book ...

I'm completely confounded by Mr. Barker's “spiritualized” summary comment on Anna Yin's poetry:

First of all, Taoistic mysticism is a religious "Huang-Lao" (Yellow Emperor-Laozi) strain of Taoist thought, and because of its emphasis on the shamanic techniques for the individual it has historically been looked down upon by Chinese literati while philosophical Taoism has been and still is part of the intellectual resources of Chinese poetic tradition. Based on the Western epistemology of religion, Taoist mysticism tends toward what is called "external mysticism," which arises from reflections on the context sensitivity and normative complexity of Tao rather than from some "inner" experience of inexpressible "oneness." as Christian mysticism manifests.

Secondly, Confucianism, an atheistic branch of humanist traditions, is not a religion in the modern sense. It is an ethical code. In his teachings, Confucius avoided spiritual issues. A disciple of Confucius wrote, "The master never talked of prodigies, feats of strength, disorders or ghosts." (Analects 7:20) Confucius himself stated, "To devote oneself earnestly to one's duty to humanity, and while respecting the ghosts, to keep aloof from them, may be called wisdom." (Analects 6:20) "Our master's views concerning culture and the outward insignia of goodness, we are permitted to hear; but about man's nature and the ways of heaven, he will not tell us anything at all." (Analects 5:12)

Finally, the religious climate of her time greatly influenced Emily Dickinson’s poetry writing. However, what eludes critics and readers is a sense of clarity in attempting to somehow “de-code” her “religious” poetry. Generally speaking, one important aspect of spiritual representation in her work is the use of sacramental imagery in a painful quest for spiritual truth. Jane Donahue Eberwein has provided a sufficient discussion of Dickinson's sacramental imagery in light of its Calvinist foundations. I find no trace of sacramental imagery or relation to nature but instead a love of nature that Yin expresses in her poetry.

If Anna Yin, as Mr. Barker claims, “clearly find[s] inspiration in the poetic tropes of her native tradition, with its combination of Taoistic mysticism and Confucian realism, and (on her own account) in the poetry of the “protesting Puritan” (as Louis Untermeyer calls her) of nineteenth-century New England, Emily Dickinson,” Farewell to Sunflowers is a book of spiritually-syncretistic, not of spiritually-sensitive verse.

Terry Barker 写到:

Many examples of this happy conjunction in Farewell to Sunflowers might be cited, beginning with the first (and title) poem in the book, which opens with an expansion of the trope of the Excellent Archer of the Moon Festival who brought down nine suns that were threatening to shrivel up the world:

A million arrows are aimed at the sky
Yet the sun hasn’t been shot down.

The poet, then, “glancing back” sees that the “golden faces (of the sunflowers) are full of tears”, an observation that reveals “mourning grasses (that) burn flames in the wind”, and “duckweeds and swimming fish, those floating clouds and breezes” that “are all behind me in warm waves and lonely songs.” This meditation in turn leads the poet to the contemplative stage of the final stanza which concludes that

And feel the lotus core in pieces.
I see sunset in crimson.

The poet has here, apparently, reached the psychics position of a doubting “demythologized” Excellent Archer, a type of modern mysticism holding both belief and skepticism concerning the order of being together within a trust in the “openness” of the self, a structure of consciousness most developed in New England Puritan mysticism ...

One simple question I would like to ask is:

If this poem, as Mr. Barker claims, "opens with an expansion of the trope of the Excellent Archer of the Moon Festival," who is this doubting “demythologized” Excellent Archer? The speaker of the poem? Or personified sunflowers having tall coarse stems and large, yellow-rayed flower heads?

In linguistics, trope is a rhetorical figure of speech that consists of a play on words, i.e., using a word in a way other than what is considered its literal or normal form. Trope comes from the Greek word, tropos, which means a "turn". In his review of Yin’ poetry, Barker “tropizes” her poetry, and thus turns the reader away from a contexualized understanding of her poetry.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期三 十月 31, 2007 4:43 pm, 总计第 3 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期五 十月 12, 2007 8:53 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

明天和Terry 讨论讨论。。。Very Happy
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 十月 14, 2007 9:45 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Terry Barker 写到:

For Ms Yin, an immigrant to Canada from Mainland China in1999, clearly find inspiration in the poetic tropes of her native tradition ...

Anna Yin does find inspiration in Chinese traditional poetry writing.

The dominant poetic principle around which Chinese traditional poetry writing is organized is often one of contrast, which juxtaposes a natural scene with a social or personal situation. The reader can see the similarity in the natural description and the human condition, and he /she comes to a new awareness of each by this contrast. In Chinese, this idea is embodied in the terms Fu, Bi, and Xing.

Fu refers to a linear narrative comprising a beginning, middle, and conclusion, which stands by itself. Bi, literally meaning “against”, implies a comparison or contrast, placing two things side by side. When one places two different Fus side by side, these two Fus create a Bi; then the result of this comparison or contrast stirs a “mental stimulation” in the mind of the reader, bringing new insight or awareness into the nature or essence of the individual Fu that composes the poem. This new insight or awareness is called Xing, which is the main purpose of Chinese traditional poetry writing: making the reader contemplate its subject more deeply.

Writing skills aside, she also shares the same sentiment toward nature with her fellow poets.

In his introduction to the translation of Chinese poetry, entitled Images of Jade, Arthur Christy stresses,

”Nature, the universe, is the Chinese poet's field. Here he exercises the widest liberty in indulging his passion for the things which please his fancy. And what he produces is not primitive or elemental in feeling, nor is it a mere enjoyment of the sensuous. If a comparison may be permitted, he is more Wordsworthian than Keatsian. His poetry is a chastened and subdued product of reflection, for he regards Nature not merely as a physical phenomenon, with sensuously enjoyable qualities, but as animating soul which is in intimate relation with life itself. For him spirit interprets matter.”

In the case of her Farewell to Sunflowers, Yin employs two Fus interwoven together, one a natural scene and the other her personal situation; this contrast creates a Bi, the withering of sunflowers and the melancholic mood of the speaker of the poem; hence, she skilfully stirs a mental image – “I see sunset in crimson” – and leads the reader to contemplate human uncontrollability of and thus vulnerability to time’s passing. In her empathic observation of a natural scene, Yin finds that she as a human being lives and dies in the natural cycle of life as sunflowers do.
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期三 十月 31, 2007 2:07 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Thanks Eric to share your view. It is interesting to see different people have their different views.

BTW, TOPS founder Bunny Phoned me to say this review was very good, she would publish it on Verse Afire.

She invited me to join the Nov event to read my chapbook and promote it in Toronto.
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 十月 31, 2007 4:41 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

I'm happy for you and hope a big success on your book promotion.

Would you mind passing on my two reviews to Mr. Barker?

I would like to have with Mr. Barker an exchange of ideas about the review of your poetry.
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

帖子发表于: 星期三 十月 31, 2007 8:51 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Hi Eric,

Sure. I think you may meet each other one day.

Anna
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.