四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 27, 2007 10:40 am    发表主题: A Day in Her Life 引用并回复

A Day in Her Life* co-written by ericcoliu

She passed the kitchen clock hung on the wall, glanced at it, then gasped and murmured to herself, "There won't be enough time!" She wouldn't have enough time to make the bed, wash the dishes, wash the walls upstairs, clean the mirrors, and to vacuum the carpets so that she could get the dinner ready. All of this took place on some interior schedule that she followed faithfully. What she has been doing with her life is to clean her house more efficiently.

Today, like another day in her past life, she kept asking herself, "Can I do better than I am doing? ... Is my house right as to its sanitary arrangement? ... Can I make the best use of my time?"

She started a new day by cleaning her house, and no matter how well it had been done yesterday, she willed to make new gains every day, or else be a failure.

*This is a rewrite of one of the silenced Hertories in the ericcoliu-esque sense.

最后进行编辑的是 Champagne on 星期三 六月 17, 2009 8:58 am, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 27, 2007 7:44 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

This is a seemingly never-ending story of housewifing of women.

Like Marcia Cross's character, Bree Van De Kamp, in ABC’s Desperate Housewives, she is married to a jerk neglectful of his responsibility of taking his fair share of domestic chores. But she has a defence mechanism: obsessive housewifing: cleaning, washing, sewing, etc.
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期五 九月 28, 2007 8:16 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

Are you blaming the “victim” of a patriarchal society?

Up to this moment, I still vividly remember the unexpected encounter with a married woman seventeen years ago, who was the wife of my newly acquainted and helpful friend and mother of two pre-schoolers, who more importantly, was getting a master’s degree in computer science with no working experience in her field. After our almost thirty-minute engaging discussion on recent developments in the computer industry and the emergent importance of WinTelism, Shi-wei sighed deeply and said to me, "I'm green with envy because you're a man and unmarried. You can pursue what you would like to do. Unlike you, I’m bound with my duties as a mother and wife, and more importantly, as a woman," she continued to murmured, "My days are always busy yet dull. What I do is to busy myself around my domestic duties: getting up around six, waking up my PhD husband, making breakfast and preparing the lunch box for my husband, helping my children get ready for breakfast and lunch, washing dishes after meals, doing some laundry and cleaning, sometimes, and shopping, making dinner after my husband's comes home, cleaning up the mess after my husband finishes playing games with the children and sends them to bed. In between these domestic activities, I can sit down and take a rest for half an hour or an hour or so. Most of the time during the day, I'm trying to find out where my children are because of their fondness of playing hide-and-seek with me, and to smooth things over between them. ......Every night, when I lie beside my husband, I can't help asking myself, 'Is this what I really want? Is this all?' I'm too cozy to escape from this comfortable prison built up by socially obliged familial duties and mutually warm affections towards my family. ......"

Shi-wei kept “rambling” about her sense of loss and emptiness about her life, and finally bowed her head in her hands and unstoppably wept. At that moment, I felt embarrassed and didn't know how to deal with this seemingly out-of-control situation. That was completely “un-Chinese”.

Finally restraining herself after ten minutes or so, Shi-wei made an apology to me for making me uncomfortable, and said calmly, "I think I'm a little tired and overwhelmed by my reading of Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique earlier this morning." This was my first time hearing about Friedan's work, but I didn't have any interest in reading her work. About five years later, an unpleasant encounter with a Taiwanese female graduate student during a four-day seminar on the oral history stirred my interest in reading Friedan's work, and I found out about its appealing power to Shi-wei and her like.
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期五 九月 28, 2007 8:01 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:
Are you blaming the “victim” of a patriarchal society?

No, definitely not. I don’t think your unnamed protagonist she is a mere “victim” inflicted by the patriarchal ideology. She, like the majority of women living in a patriarchal society, made her own choice among life opportunities constrained by gender-biased structural factors. However, she is not self-conscious of the consequences of her decision about “some interior schedule that she followed faithfully,” and, more importantly, she has never experienced the existential angst as your friend, Shi-wei, did, the angst that had no name until Betty Friedan articulated in her groundbreaking book which moved Shi-wei to tears.

Generally speaking, Friedan’s book was not the first feminist book, nor the most radical, but it resonated profoundly, at the time, with the average housewife and mother. The opening chapter entitled The Problem That Has No Name deals with the quite despair and emptiness of the 1960s American housewives.

“The problem lay buried, unspoken, for many years in the minds of American women. It was a strange stirring, a sense of dissatisfaction, a yearning that women suffered…each suburban wife struggled with it alone. As she made beds, shopped for groceries, matched slipcover material, ate peanut butter sandwiches with her children, chauffeured Cub Scouts and Brownies, lay beside her husband at night--she was afraid to ask even of herself the silent question--’Is this all?’ … The suburban housewife--she was the dream image of the young American women and the envy, it was said, of women all over the world. The American housewife--freed by science and labour-saving appliances from the drudgery, the dangers of childbirth and illnesses of her grandmother … She was healthy, educated, concerned only about her husband, her children, her home. She found true feminine fulfillment. As a housewife and mother, she was respected as a full and equal partner to man in his world. She was free to choose automobiles, clothes, appliances, supermarkets; she had everything that women ever dreamed of.”

If that were true, Friedan asked, why did so many women she interviewed make statements like, “I feel empty somehow…incomplete” or “I feel that I don’t exist”?

She never asked the abovementioned questions, but kept asking herself, "Can I do better than I am doing? ... Is my house right as to its sanitary arrangement? ... Can I make the best use of my time?"

That’s why I wrote that she has developed a defence mechanism to repress her existential angst: obsessive housewifing: cleaning, washing, sewing, etc.

By the way, in 1966, The Rolling Stones made the “desperate housewife” a popular culture icon with the song Mother’s Little Helper.

Lyrics for Mother's Little Helper

What a drag it is getting old
"Kids are different today,"
I hear every mother say
Mother needs something today to calm her down
And though she's not really ill
There's a little yellow pill
She goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper
And it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day

"Things are different today,"
I hear every mother say
Cooking fresh food for a husband's just a drag
So she buys an instant cake and she burns her frozen steak
And goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper
And two help her on her way, get her through her busy day

Doctor please, some more of these
Outside the door, she took four more

"Men just aren't the same today"
I hear every mother say
They just don't appreciate that you get tired
They're so hard to satisfy, you can tranquilize your mind
So go running for the shelter of a mother's little helper
And four help you through the night, help to minimize your plight

Doctor please, some more of these
Outside the door, she took four more

"Life's just much too hard today,"
I hear every mother say
The pursuit of happiness just seems a bore
And if you take more of those, you will get an overdose
No more running for the shelter of a mother's little helper
They just helped you on your way, through your busy dying day
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.