ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2007-05-29
帖子: 1393
来自: GTA, Canada

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 10, 2008 4:43 pm    发表主题: Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Dictionary 引用并回复

Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Dictionary (The First Draft)

Thematic Review of Nineteen Ways of Looking at Wang Wei: How a Chinese Poem is Translated Written by Eliot Weinberger and Octavio Paz

Challenging Robert Frost’s comment that “Poetry is what gets lost in translation,” Eliot Weinberger and Octavio Paz argue in the introduction to their slim volume, Nineteen Ways of Looking at Wang Wei: How a Chinese Poem is Translated, that “poetry is that which is worth translating.” They take one single poem written by one of the greatest Chinese poets, Wang Wei, as a stellar example. This four-line poem is over 1200-year-old and made up of a mountain, a forest, and the setting sun illuminating a patch of moss. Literary critic and translator Eliot Weinberger compares 19 translations of this small poem with further commentary from Nobel Prize Winner Mexican poet Octavio Paz, As Paz admits in the book, the translation of this poem is complex and difficult “for the poem carries to an extreme the characteristics of Chinese poetry: universality, impersonality, absence of time, absence of subject.” In this autobiographical poem, the solitude of the mountain is so great that “not even the poet himself is present.” It is fascinating in its deceptive simplicity, its precision of observation, and its philosophical depth rooted in Buddhist tradition.

Following T. S. Eliot’s ideas that every translation must be rethought as an interpretive exercise bound to its own time, yet able to enrich and renew the existing poetic tradition, Weinberger and Paz begin with Wang Wei’s poem in Chinese written characters, transcribe the poem in pin-yin as a transliteration, and then give a character-by-character translation before proceeding to another 16 translations (13 in English, written between 1919 and 1978, two in French, and one in Spanish translated by Paz himself). This gives the reader the great opportunity to appreciate Wang’s poem in as many formats as possible and to enhance his/her culturally-specific poetic sensibilities. For every translation, Weinberger give a one-page comment in terms of fidelity, understandability, the relationship to the previous translations, and poetic aesthetics. Paz also gives a six-page essay on his reading and translation of the poem, as well as a balanced and interesting exploration of the issues involved in translating it. In my view, his essay is the gem of the book.

The main focus of my thematic review is an emphasis on the interpretive differences revealed in the English translations by translators across three different generations of Chinese poetry translation. All of the English translations can be found on the webpage entitled Several Translations of One Poem by Wang Wei.

Now, let’s first look at James Liu’s translation:

On the empty mountains no one can be seen,
But human voices are heard to resound.
The reflected sunlight pieces the deep forest
And falls again upon the mossy ground.

Liu faithfully follows a traditional English format by beginning each line with a capital letter and by rhyming at the end of lines two and four. In order to achieve the above-mentioned formalities, the beauty of English is being compromised; his translation is a little cumbersome, especially his translation of line two, “But human voices are heard to resound.”

Then, let’s read Burton Watson’s translation:

Empty hills, no one in sight,
only the sound of someone talking;
late sunlight enters the deep wood,
shining over the green moss again.

Without using rhyming or capitalizing, Watson successfully creates the vivid imagery in everyday language. For example, he translates the first two Chinese characters of line one with two English words: no article, no explanation. His way of presenting the imagery is as direct and concrete as the Chinese one. There are 24 English words for 20 Chinese characters, yet every Chinese character has been translated. More importantly, he faithfully keeps Wang’s parallelism – the dual nature of the universe, yin and yang -- employed in the poem, and he is the first translator to do so. For example, if we now look at the first two lines, we find alternating yin and yang: absence (emptiness) and presence (mountain); absence clearly not there (no one in sight) and presence unclearly there (only the sound of someone talking, nonlocalized voices).

Finally, we come to see Gary Snyder’s translation, which is well known and appreciated by Western-influenced Chinese readers:

Empty mountains:
ggno one to be seen.
Yet – hear –
ggHuman sounds and echoes.
Returning sunlight
ggEnters the dark woods;
Again shining
ggOn green moss, above.

Surely, Snyder's translation is, as Weinberger and Paz claim, one of the best translations partially because he has experienced living in the forest and therefore he knows the images firsthand. Like Watson, he uses simple language to re-create the vivid imagery, and every Chinese character has been translated. Yet, his line placement, dramatically different from those of the previous two translations, adds complexity for the reader, and the second half of the concluding line, “moss, above,” challenges the reader to interpret the “above” in light of his/her experience.

His translation demonstrates the opening up of the possibilities of contextualized interpretation of a poetic work to make it “new” for each generation, as American writer and pioneer Chinese poetry translator Ezra Pound had hoped:

ggggggBy now this is more or less ‘how we do it’ in English, and if you tried to do it some other way, it ggggggwould probably sound false, Victorian and strange.

Liu doesn’t follow Pound at all. Watson does, but not to the same degree that Snyder does, and yet his translation does not sound “Victorian and strange.” In contemporary political terms, Liu is a faithful conservative translator, Watson is a centrist, and Snyder is a left winger. All of the other translators can roughly fall into one of these three categories.

As Weinberger and Paz emphasize, “translation is more than a leap from dictionary to dictionary; it is a reimagining of the poem.” Likewise, every reading of the poem in itself is an act of translation: “translation into the reader’s intellectual and emotional life." In addition to comparing reading to translating, every reading, for me, is a struggle between what I want to make of the poem and what the poem wants to make of me. When a poem or any other literary work is successful, it is because it makes us “better” – it stimulates an experience which makes us more interesting, more nuanced, more multi-faceted, and more flexible. This book on how one Chinese poem has been translated is slim, yet it stimulates.

最后进行编辑的是 ericcoliu on 星期三 九月 24, 2008 1:43 pm, 总计第 6 次编辑
返回页首
阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM)
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 11, 2008 6:45 am    发表主题: Re: Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Diction 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:
Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Dictionary

Yes, translation is more than a leap from dictionary to dictionary, but a courageous dive into the linguistic whirlpool of two cultures in which poetry and translations of poetry are developed.

ericcoliu 写到:

Literary critic and translator Eliot Weinberger, with commentary from Nobel Prize Winner Mexican poet Octavio Paz, compares 19 translations of this small poem. As Paz admits in the book, the translation of this poem is complex and difficult, “for the poem carries to an extreme the characteristics of Chinese poetry: universality, impersonality, absence of time, absence of subject.” In this autobiographical poem, the solitude of the mountain is so great that “not even the poet himself is present.”

Thanks for your introducing us this stimulating book.

I think the translation of poetry raises a mind-boggling question for all translators of differing cultural backgrounds and epochs: what do they look for in a poetic translation?

“Some seek scholarly fidelity, if that were ultimately possible, through "literal" translations combined with footnotes and elaborate discussion to bear out the untranslatable. Others want a new version of the truth, sung well in their own language, that may at times forfeit the intent and nuances of the original. Others want a compromise: a new poem in their own language that both captures the essence of the original and yet that does not take too many liberties in conveying the ideas.”

All translators have to grapple with this big question.

Does the book offer the English version of Paz's translation?

最后进行编辑的是 Champagne on 星期五 九月 12, 2008 7:35 pm, 总计第 5 次编辑
返回页首
Champagne[Champagne]
Champagne作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-09-15
帖子: 394
来自: Nowhere & Everywhere

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 11, 2008 6:46 am    发表主题: Re: Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Diction 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

As Weinberger and Paz emphasize, “translation is more than a leap from dictionary to dictionary; it is a reimagining of the poem.” Likewise, every reading of the poem is an act of translation: “translation into the reader’s intellectual and emotional life. In addition to reading as translating, every reading, for me, is a struggle between what I want to make of the poem and what the poem wants to make of me. When a poem, or any other literary work, is successful, it is because it makes us “better” – it stimulates an experience which makes us more interesting, more nuanced, more many-sided, and more flexible. This slim book on how a Chinese poem is translated is such a stimulating one.

I concur!

We are most human when we are most open to change and, conversely, we are least human when in the grip of habit or tradition, when we try to close down the possibility of the change.

For me, both reading and writing are a constant struggle with my life and the surrounding environment.

Just look at how many types of poetry have been introduced to and posted on this forum!

最后进行编辑的是 Champagne on 星期五 九月 12, 2008 7:36 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 11, 2008 8:39 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Well summarized three approaches of translating classical Chinese poems.

引用:
Finally, we come to see Gary Snyder’s translation, which is well known to and appreciated by Western-influenced Chinese readers:

Western-influenced Chinese readers? Do you mean the English-speaking Chinese? Even though the structure is free, anyone who reads poetry will recognize it right away that it is not a western poem. Or I would say it is appreciated by Eastern-influenced westerners. Some truth?

Anyway, enjoyable read.
返回页首
Lake[Lake]
Lake作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

注册时间: 2006-10-10
帖子: 1341
来自: Sky Blue Water

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 11, 2008 8:41 pm    发表主题: Re: Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Diction 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:

Just look at how many types of poetry have been introduced to and posted on this forum!

What do you want to say, Champagne? Wink
返回页首
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 九月 12, 2008 7:40 pm    发表主题: Re: Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Diction 引用并回复

Champagne 写到:

All translators have to grapple with this big question.

Does the book offer the English version of Paz's translation?

Yes.

No people are seen on this mountain.
Only voices, far off, are heard.
Light breaks through the branches.
Spread among the grass it shines green.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期五 九月 12, 2008 7:59 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

[quote="Lake"]

Western-influenced Chinese readers? Do you mean the English-speaking Chinese?

Yes, the English-speaking Chinese or the Chinese English learners who are interested in or directly or indirectly influenced by the counterculture of the 1960s.

Lake 写到:

Even though the structure is free, anyone who reads poetry will recognize it right away that it is not a western poem. Or I would say it is appreciated by Eastern-influenced westerners. Some truth?

Yes.

Thanks for the read and sharing your thought.
fanfan[FFFFFF]
fanfan作品集

四品府丞
(封疆大吏也!)
四品府丞<BR>(封疆大吏也!)

注册时间: 2007-12-27
帖子: 353
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期六 九月 13, 2008 12:21 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

[quote="ericcoliu"]

Lake 写到:

Western-influenced Chinese readers? Do you mean the English-speaking Chinese?

Yes, the English-speaking Chinese or the Chinese English learners who are interested in or directly or indirectly influenced by the counterculture of the 1960s.

I wrote a short story as my narrative response to Lake's question and Eric's answer.
返回页首
dundas[dundas]
dundas作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-02-23
帖子: 214

帖子发表于: 星期六 九月 13, 2008 1:41 pm    发表主题: Re: Translation: More Than a Leap from Dictionary to Diction 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

As Weinberger and Paz emphasize, “translation is more than a leap from dictionary to dictionary; it is a reimagining of the poem.” Likewise, every reading of the poem in itself is an act of translation: “translation into the reader’s intellectual and emotional life." In addition to comparing reading to translating, every reading, for me, is a struggle between what I want to make of the poem and what the poem wants to make of me. When a poem or any other literary work is successful, it is because it makes us “better” – it stimulates an experience which makes us more interesting, more nuanced, more multi-faceted, and more flexible. This book on how one Chinese poem has been translated is slim, yet it stimulates.

I like each and every line of the concluding paragraph, which is, in my view, the gem of this review essay.

Do they say anything about Rexroth's translation?
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期日 九月 14, 2008 7:30 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

Yes.

Deep in the mountain wilderness
Where nobody ever comes
Only once in a great while
Something like the sound of a far off voice.
The low ray of the sun
Slip through the dark forest,
And gleam again on the shadowy moss.

In Weinberger’s view, Rexroth’s translation is perhaps more “imitation” than “translation.” He ignores what he presumably dislikes, or feels cannot be translated. That means his translation is “loosely based’ on Wang’s poem.
robarts[robarts]
robarts作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-03-24
帖子: 114
来自: Canada

帖子发表于: 星期一 九月 15, 2008 12:15 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

ericcoliu 写到:

Deep in the mountain wilderness
Where nobody ever comes
Only once in a great while
Something like the sound of a far off voice.
The low ray of the sun
Slip through the dark forest,
And gleam again on the shadowy moss.

In Weinberger’s view, Rexroth’s translation is perhaps more “imitation” than “translation.” He ignores what he presumably dislikes, or feels cannot be translated. That means his translation is “loosely based’ on Wang’s poem.

Rexroth had reimagined Classical Chinese Poetry and his re-created poetry has drawn a lot of Americans and English-speaking readers into the once-inaccessible type of poetry.
hahaview[hahaview]
hahaview作品集

六品通判
(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)
六品通判<BR>(官儿做大了,保持廉洁哦)

注册时间: 2008-02-07
帖子: 103

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 24, 2008 8:49 am    发表主题: 引用并回复

The following is my attempt to provide one more way, the twentieth way in terms of Eliot Weinberger and Octavio Paz, of looking at Wang Wei’s poem:

Empty mountains, no one in sight,
only human echoes are heard;
reflected sunlight enters the deep forest,
and shines upon the green moss again.
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期三 九月 24, 2008 1:44 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

robarts 写到:

Rexroth had reimagined Classical Chinese Poetry and his re-created poetry has drawn a lot of Americans and English-speaking readers into the once-inaccessible type of poetry.

Yes.

hahaview 写到:

The following is my attempt to provide one more way, the twentieth way in terms of Eliot Weinberger and Octavio Paz, of looking at Wang Wei’s poem:

Empty mountains, no one in sight,
only human echoes are heard;
reflected sunlight enters the deep forest,
and shines upon the green moss again.

Good.

According to Pauline Yu, Wang Wei's Deer Fence is the most translated of all Chinese poems. Nineteen versions of the poem are conveniently collected in the book by Eliot Weinberger and Octavio Paz. There are also translations in books by Arthur Sze, Vikram Seth and others. Versions by Tony Kline, Arthur Sze, David Hinton, Jerry M. Spiller, Howard H. Landman and Stephen Owen can be found on the Internet.

Arthur Sze, The Silk Dragon (Copper Canyon Press, 2005) http://www.olympus.net/personal/brewster/PDFs/Sze%20sample.pdf
Vikram Seth, Three Chinese Poets (Penguin, 1992). http://www.indiaclub.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=12811
The Deer Enclosure. Translation by Tony Kline. Feb. 2000. http://www.tonykline.co.uk/PITBR/Chinese/AllwaterWangWei.htm
Deer Park. Translation by Arthur Sze in Poetry Currents: Mexico/Southwest. http://poetry.about.com/library/weekly/museletters/blSWmuse79.htm
Deer Park David Hinton. 2005. http://www.wordswithoutborders.org/article.php?lab=Wheel. Several poems on this Words Without Borders site, with notes and an example of Chinese landcsape painting.
Deer Park. Translated by Jerry M. Spiller. 2005. http://www.unc.edu/~jmspille/wangwei.shtml
Deer Park Cottage. Translated by Howard A. Landman. 1997. http://www.polyamory.org/~howard/Poetry/deer_park.html
Deer Park. Translated by Stephen Owen. 1997. http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/W/WeiWang/DeerFence.htm
温暖的水獸[温暖的水獸]
温暖的水獸作品集

五品知州
(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)
五品知州<BR>(再努力一把就是四品大员了!)

注册时间: 2008-04-23
帖子: 153
来自: 水族箱

帖子发表于: 星期四 九月 25, 2008 3:50 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

How come there is no translation by any of female translators in their "slim book"? Such as Pauline Yu's translation?

One question for you:

What's their translation principle, if there is one, articulated in this "slim yet stimulating" book?
ericcoliu[ericcoliu]
ericcoliu作品集

二品总督
(刚入二品,小心做人)
二品总督<BR>(刚入二品,小心做人)

帖子发表于: 星期六 十月 04, 2008 9:08 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

温暖的水獸 写到:

One question for you:

What's their translation principle, if there is one, articulated in this "slim yet stimulating" book?

In their view, translation is dependent on the dissolution of the translator's ego: an absolute humility toward the text. A bad translation is the insistent voice of the translator -- that is when one sees no poet and hears only the translator speaking.
从以前的帖子开始显示:   
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.