星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 12:09 pm    发表主题: Cook a poem (Speech 8th) 引用并回复

How many of you like to cook? Please raise your hand.

Good. I see a lot of you do. So you know how to cook.

Mr. Toastmaster fellow toastmaster and welcomed guests, a lot of people asked me how to write a poem. I told them it was almost the same process as cooking. But nobody believed my answer. Tonight I want to show you how similar they are.

Before we cook, what should we think of?

Food, raw food. Right.

We will think what kind of food to cook? I brought these here, the tomatoes I picked from my own garden, the potatoes I bought from the grocery store.

The same process applies when writing a poem. Before you write, you also need to think what kind of things you like to write about. Here I called them materials, such as stories from your own life experience or stories you heard from others, your own thoughts or inspiration from other sources.

Here the tomatoes picked in my own garden are like my own stories and your thoughts;

The store bought potatoes are like the stories I heard from others or inspiration from others.

I have my food, now I choose the best ones. Then cut the potato, slice the tomatoes, this is called food processing.

For poetry, you also need to make the selection. Choose the right story, refine all kinds of material, and trim details, if needed, then combine stories together by using your imagination. This is called mind processing.

Then I need to consider who will eat my food, does he like spicy or salty?

For poetry, now you also need to imagine what kind of the reader to focus on, does the reader like sad or happy poems? Love poems or natural poems? After you carefully think of it, you define your tone for this poem.

After the food preparation, sometimes I have a recipe in hand. I may want to know how much oil to add, what cooking process to follow. But sometimes I decide to cook in a new way without any recipe.

In poetry, the same applies. You may choose a kind of form to deliverer your content, such as sonnet or haiku. Each form has a specific meter, rhythm and rules to follow. But you are also free to choose free verse permitting you to be more creative and unique.

Finally, it’s time to start cooking …I add some oil or water…I fry or boil. This is the time to show off my cooking skills.

In poetry, you begin to write. (Your writing skills come real now). How well you master the language shows a huge difference here. Your skill of choosing the right word to express yourself counts a lot in poetry.

Now I cook and cook, you write and write….

In the end, I present my dish, and ask for others to taste it and share the feedback.

They will like it or dislike it. I may adjust it a little bit or re-cook it.

The same goes for poetry, at last, you share your poem. The reader may appreciate it or be disinterested. And you get the feedback. You may consider taking in their suggestions to revise it or to leave it as it is.

See those processes are almost similar.

Cooking is an enjoyable process because it creates something and provides a way to share the delicious result. The Chef provides us with a wonderful experience with the (solid feel through physical contact).

Writing a poem is a happy and healthy process because you share a spiritual journey with the reader through imagination and communication of word.

They are both very enjoyable and cheerful things to do.

Now you know how similar they are, next time if you want to write a poem, just think about cooking, and then start to cook your poem.

Believe me, try it. It is as simple as cooking.
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客) 浏览发表者的主页
叶雨[FFFFFF]
叶雨作品集

二品总督总管
(回首人生,前途在望)
二品总督总管<BR>(回首人生,前途在望)

注册时间: 2004-06-01
帖子: 3287

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 1:13 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

这篇是个浅显的诗歌创作过程的说明。

用的比喻恰当。

这篇演讲要具体看看听众是什么人。如果底下是初学者,这篇很适合。如果已经有一定的基础了,我觉得还不如在这里把容易犯的毛病重点说说:例如只注重文字游戏而忽略了发掘人生的哲理、忽视读者的感受和社会效应等。

还是那句话,你的听众决定了你应该说什么。

最后进行编辑的是 叶雨 on 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 1:23 pm, 总计第 1 次编辑
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) Blog(博客)
和平岛[我还没有昵称]
和平岛作品集

一品翰林院大学士
(酷我!I made it!)
一品翰林院大学士<BR>(酷我!I made it!)

注册时间: 2004-05-16
帖子: 5614
来自: Victoria

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 1:21 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

well done:)
返回页首
個人頁面 阅览成员资料 (Profile) 发送私人留言 (PM) 发送电子邮件 Blog(博客) 浏览发表者的主页
星子[ANNA]
星子作品集

酷我!I made it!
酷我!I made it!

注册时间: 2004-06-05
帖子: 13192
来自: Toronto

帖子发表于: 星期二 十一月 01, 2005 10:40 pm    发表主题: 引用并回复

thanks all.

This is according to Peace's theory.
发表新帖   回复帖子       酷我-北美枫 首页 -> English Garden 论坛时间为 EST (美国/加拿大)
1页/共1

转跳到:  
不能发布新主题
不能在这个论坛回复主题
不能在这个论坛编辑自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛删除自己的帖子
不能在这个论坛发表投票

本论坛欢迎广大文学爱好者不拘一格地发表创作和评论.凡在网站发表的作品,即视为向《北美枫》丛书, 《诗歌榜》和《酷我电子杂志》投稿(暂无稿费, 请谅)。如果您的作品不想编入《北美枫》或《诗歌榜》或《酷我电子杂志》,请在发帖时注明。
作品版权归原作者.文责自负.作品的观点与<酷我-北美枫>网站无关.请勿用于商业,宗教和政治宣传.论坛上严禁人身攻击.管理员有权删除作品.